Devito senior bowl. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Devito senior bowl.

He didn’t work here because he had three guys in his face not even a second before he got the ball in his hands.
Correct. Our offensive line was wanting. Also DeVito took too long on his reads before getting rid of the ball or should I say the opposing D was on him before he could make them/find his receivers which is why he was consistently throwing the ball OOB.(edit)

Last edited:
Todd had a MUCH better team around him, Not Even Close
2019 Syracuse wasn't a bad team. All our WRs but Custis were back same with the RBs and we were preseason top 20. Jackson was better than Custis so there was no dropoff from what Dungey had in 2019. Also had Adams in the mix to go with Howard and Neal.

Devito saw meaningful action the year before. I wonder if we would have made him earn the job over Welch if the 2018 UNC miracle didn't happen?

He sucked. Took sacks vs throwing it away. Never ran for first downs despite having decent wheels. If something didn't go his way he'd make a horrible throw on the next play. 2020 was the bad team where it wasn't really on him but even that year Tucker was able to be productive.

Last edited:
I think TD will get a chance in the NFL. He has a good arm. If Nathan Peterman is still in the league, DeVito should get a shot.
For those who don't recall, Peterman's claim to infamy is throwing 5 interceptions against the Chargers while he was with the Bills. In the first half. At the moment he is with da bears.

Not really anything to do with this thread but so many people on here turned on TD because his dad was uhhhhhhh not the best poster this website has ever seen

To put it politely

This was his biggest problem. A good QB has the natural instincts to make quick reads and move in the right directions quicky. Tommy's feet got stuck in the mud while he was trying to decide what to do.

I heard/read their coach say a couple times how he was quick to make a decision and to make the right decision.

I heard/read their coach say a couple times how he was quick to make a decision and to make the right decision.

He had a good year in illinois, but your observation doesn't remotely correlate to how he performed here. There's no need to pile on the kid, but also no need to exaggerate how he performed.

He was subpar, in part due to his inherent limitations, and in part due to our offensive line being so subpar in 2019.

He had a good year in illinois, but your observation doesn't remotely correlate to how he performed here. There's no need to pile on the kid, but also no need to exaggerate how he performed.

He was subpar, in part due to his inherent limitations, and in part due to our offensive line being so subpar in 2019.

Who’s exaggerating his time here? Didn’t even mention his time here. Point is he improved.

He's there. I think he has a shot to be a productive NFL QB. Has the arm for sure. Has gone through some trials and tribulations at the college level.

I think with the right situation and coaching there may be something to unlock there. I mean IMO he was better than Todd Philcox and he was an SU QB who lingered around the NFL for a decade.
Sure. With the Cowboys 95 Oline, the 99 Rams receivers and 71 Dolphins backfield he could carve out a nice NFL career.

He's there. I think he has a shot to be a productive NFL QB. Has the arm for sure. Has gone through some trials and tribulations at the college level.

I think with the right situation and coaching there may be something to unlock there. I mean IMO he was better than Todd Philcox and he was an SU QB who lingered around the NFL for a decade.
I disagree on Philcox

Who’s exaggerating his time here? Didn’t even mention his time here. Point is he improved.
Illinois was a better fit for him. I dont think he makes it but i hope he does. He gave it his best. Had multiple coaches, played through injuries had poor supporting players. It was good for everyone that he transferred.

He may not make the NFL, I personally don’t think he will because he’s too short and there aren’t many Drew Brees’s, but he may get a shot. And your disdain is a bit over the top. Did you know Shrader had more time to throw (TTT) than Devito. He ran the offense Illinois wanted to run.
1- Unless something else came out this week, he is 6’2”. Most treams cutoff for height at QB is 6’2”. Drew Bree’s was barely 6 foot. That is a drastic difference in height at the QB position. Height won’t be the reason he isn’t given a shot

2- I know you subscribe to PFF. And I love advanced stats. I did not see this. I saw 2-3 games of Illinois and from the eye test. His throw chart was not particularly good. Yes, he did what Illinois asked him to do. Which was be a game manager. They relied on running and defense. I think their RB is a stud and should be one of the top RB drafted this year. Very deep class for RB.

3- I think Devito is a Nate Peterman type. A guy that looks amazing in practice that will fool a couple coaches. Somehow gets a shot in a game and completely blows it and flames out. I have never questioned how pretty the ball looks when he throws it. And coaches love that. I question the results. I don’t view him as an effective QB.

1- Unless something else came out this week, he is 6’2”. Most treams cutoff for height at QB is 6’2”. Drew Bree’s was barely 6 foot. That is a drastic difference in height at the QB position. Height won’t be the reason he isn’t given a shot

2- I know you subscribe to PFF. And I love advanced stats. I did not see this. I saw 2-3 games of Illinois and from the eye test. His throw chart was not particularly good. Yes, he did what Illinois asked him to do. Which was be a game manager. They relied on running and defense. I think their RB is a stud and should be one of the top RB drafted this year. Very deep class for RB.

3- I think Devito is a Nate Peterman type. A guy that looks amazing in practice that will fool a couple coaches. Somehow gets a shot in a game and completely blows it and flames out. I have never questioned how pretty the ball looks when he throws it. And coaches love that. I question the results. I don’t view him as an effective QB.

#3. That’s obviously not true about this year. The results were pretty darn good and his coaches had nothing but great things to say about him, their fans loved him and even their media.

#3. That’s obviously not true about this year. The results were pretty darn good and his coaches had nothing but great things to say about him, their fans loved him and even their media.

In fairness, coaches tend to always say nice things about their players. Especially at the QB position, even when they aren’t doing very well. Not implying he didn’t do well just that, of course his coaches said he did great.

Yes, something did come out on his height. He is not 6’2”.
He was measured at 6 feet and 5/8 inches and 206 pounds.
C6F0C953-6862-4510-8316-C9BD1FE3D8CA.jpeg

Yes, something did come out on his height. He is not 6’2”.
He was measured at 6 feet and 5/8 inches and 206 pounds.
View attachment 224735

That makes sense; since most height numbers are usually with shoes on. NFL Combine type numbers are more legitimate across the board.

My thoughts on Tommy - Irrespective of arm strength, field vision, height, et al. The kid likely wouldn't hold up durability wise in the NFL.

There might be not 32 men on the planet able to be an NFL QB. He certainly isn't one of them. Make it 64 plus with backups and whatever and same answer. No crime there.

There are worse QBs holding clipboards I think even Garret Gilbert saw time on a roster this year. Its not a great class for QBs. He's got the arm.

Making a practice squad and then seeing time as a backup is realistic.