Devito | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Devito

I hope Dungey is healthy and gets back soon. He's this team's leader. However, Devito showed elite passing talent today. His release is so quick and he throws a beautiful, tight, catchable ball. He showed he can put some heat on it or drop it in the basket with touch. Even the little WR screens to the sideline looked different. They seemed to get to the reciever a hair quicker than Dungey's, allowing the guy to look upfield and make a move with a little more time before the defender closed. He can't create like Dungey, but is mobile enough and can get upfield well with an opening. We have two really good QBs. Could our situation be any better?
I agree. I really like his touch passing. I'm recalling RJ Anderson an Perry Patterson, who had big arms, but would rifle bullets to a receiver 8 yds downfield.

Man the kid looked good and calm. Our future is bright at the QB position.

I was a bit worried after the Western game but man he looked like a different player today.

I'm just glad it was Devito coming in and not the Sheriff. Sheriff is a nice guy and all, but I would have been less confident we could hold on to win that game yesterday.

Yep, that's the difference. Sheriff is a nice kid, went in there and competed in some tough spots.

But it was nice to not have to watch the turf burning passes.

Does his dad still post/read the boards? If so, congrats to you and your family - you must be a proud papa this morning!
Dad was laid out behind me sleeping on a bleacher in section 335 ending 1st qtr going into second. Not sure where he went once TD went in. I suspect lower

Devito's experience now is so incredibly important for the future. Starting next year, you'll have a guy that has played a lot against great players in big situations, so nothing should surprise him. So often a new starting QB can be a huge question mark, but it doesn't feel like we'll have that issue.

I felt bad for him the first two games. The line didn’t block for him AT ALL verses WMU (and it’s not his fault good plays got blown up with holding penalties and fumbles). Against Wagner, the center kept snapping the ball over his head. This was the first game where his supporting cast worked with him, and he played a hell of a game.
The WMU game was Devitos' first game in almost two years and an away game. Some of his performance was on him. Getting the win yesterday at home, against FSU, will be a confidence builder for him. UConn would be another good game for him to play for more experience and a rest for Dungey. But I prefer to have a healthy Dungey, who has experienced game day at Clemson, ready for away games.

I've seen enough from DeVito to say he should make an appearance in every game, regardless of Dungey's health. He has the ability to stretch the defense with the passing game in a way Dungey can't. Those sideline throws to Custis were nuts. Let defenses adjust to both Dungey running free on them and DeVito beating them over the top.

I've seen enough from DeVito to say he should make an appearance in every game, regardless of Dungey's health. He has the ability to stretch the defense with the passing game in a way Dungey can't. Those sideline throws to Custis were nuts. Let defenses adjust to both Dungey running free on them and DeVito beating them over the top.

I don’t know if the stats support it but the run game seemed to function better with Devito slinging it (I realize we also used more Neal & Howard).

I don’t think teams fear ED beating them with his arm and that contributes to our RBs low YPC.

Tommy Dimes made very quick decisions (at the expense of missing a few open secondary reads) and that kept FSU on their heels.

Eric is outstanding at scrambling & improv but this offense really hums when the QB gets the ball out quickly.

I don’t know if the stats support it but the run game seemed to function better with Devito slinging it (I realize we also used more Neal & Howard).

I don’t think teams fear ED beating them with his arm and that contributes to our RBs low YPC.

Tommy Dimes made very quick decisions (at the expense of missing a few open secondary reads) and that kept FSU on their heels.

Eric is outstanding at scrambling & improv but this offense really hums when the QB gets the ball out quickly.
For whatever reason, at least yesterday the offense performed better with DeVito in than Dungey.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tommy, (I've either got to call him 'Tommy' or 'DeVito' to stop calling him 'Danny DeVito' and 'Tommy' seems nicer and will re-enforce to my brain that's his actual name), didn't perform all that badly against Western Michigan and Wagner. Pierce fumbled a successful completion. A great scramble and throw to Custis was called back and there were those snaps that almost hit the speakers against Wagner. He seems to function better with the first team than the second team, (Dino, on his show said that he'd actually practiced with them more).

In this game he wasn't perfect by any means. He showed his inexperience by throwing the ball out of bounds but not past the line of scrimmage, which put us out of field goal range. He also has to learn to put some air under the corner fade in the end zone. He threw it like a bubble screen.

But, after producing zero points to Dungey's 117 in the first two games, He produced 24 points to 6 in this one and sealed the deal. I love his sideline passes, which get there in a hurry and are thrown to the outside where only our guy can get them, compared to Dungey's which give the defender time to react to the ball and tend to be thrown to the inside of the receiver, which caused all those interceptions he had last year.

Tommy's going to be a good one.

For whatever reason, at least yesterday the offense performed better with DeVito in than Dungey.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think some of it was mental. There was so much hype about not beating FSU since 1966 and a win making SU 3-0 for the first time in awhile that it was effecting the performance in the first half. Once DeVito made the TD I think everyone relaxed...including a lot of y'all in the game day thread. ;)

Fans get frustrated when young colts like Devito come into the game and struggle, not playing as well as you'd expect [hope?] they would.

But it appears that the game experience he got against WMU and Wagner -- even if his performance was subpar -- helped him get his sea legs, figure some things out, and work through his mistakes. The game experience really paid off yesterday.

The H0T Takes about Tommy after his first two appearances were legendary. One of the few times I've gotten into with some people on here.

Wait Tommy Dimes? OttoinGrotto is this official?

If so that’s awesome! If not I trust your judgement

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It did. DeVito made the great sideline throws as you said, and also was putting those short throws on the money, leading to nice YAC.

Though I think some are underrating Eric’s usual passing ability.

His arm...he looked like a pitcher who was laboring and didn’t have his best stuff yesterday. When healthy he throws the ball much better than that.

Though he did make a great throw over the top to Custus, who dropped it.

MS Orange has it right in the above post.

A few weeks ago after WMU. the board was filled with experts decrying the fact that DeVito got extended minutes in that game.

Others thought this was smart on the part of Babers, especially given ED's history. And although being poked in the eye wasn't as the result of ED's characteristic recklessness, as long as RD is the QB, SU has to have an backup with some game experience. Every play TD QB's the team is like money in the bank.

I'd like to see some of TD in every game from now on unless its a tight game and ED is "on fire". Its not to "change the pace" as a game strategy. It's so when TD has to go into the game, he's more familiar with the speed of the actual combat and the capabilities of some of the 5-Star athletes he will be seeing.

Also, as arbiter of nicknaming I have decided that he shall be known henceforth as Tommy "T-Shirt Time" DeVito.

Point of parliamentary procedure:

I strenuously object to this ruling as I haven’t received feedback on my proposed nickname!

Edit - just saw OttoinGrotto ’s ruling and withdraw my strenuous objection.

Agree, although Dungey dropped a long one right into Custis' hands.

Devito's going to be a better fit for this offense since he can bullet the ball right into receivers hands on short passes like Dungey couldn't really do. Dungey right now is a bigger x-factor in games though. We are definitely in a prime QB position though, as Rex already has ACC experience in the third string spot and Chance looks to be a good prospect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom