DI Council adopts new transfer legislation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DI Council adopts new transfer legislation

I am not a fan of this rule at all. It's going to lead to a lot of impulsive decisions by 18-20 year olds, and the ruining of recruiting classes that coaching staffs work year-round to put together. The attrition and turnover is going to be horrifying. Not a fan at all.

However, I am happy that this means Garrett can play this year.
Yeah, I think a kid should be able to go to school wherever he wants and wherever is is able to get accepted. But this rule make CFB the wild, Wild West. There’s no going back. The box is open.

Yeah, I think a kid should be able to go to school wherever he wants and wherever is is able to get accepted. But this rule make CFB the wild, Wild West. There’s no going back. The box is open.
Agree.

Coaches can change schools whenever they get a better offer or need a change. They don’t have to “sit out” a year.

Players should have the same option.

It's still only one time to transfer though.

It won't be unlimited where a kid ends up at 4 different schools in 4 years, chasing that starting job.

I think it will end up being ok.

It won't be unlimited where a kid ends up at 4 different schools in 4 years, chasing that starting job.

Yup.

And, after a pandemic year, and with the novelty of it, this may be the largest exodus/migration of players ever. It will likely settle down a bit in future years.

For one thing - everyone who transfers this year, will have used their one-time, get out of jail free card. Any additional transfers will involve the traditional sitting out a year.

Maybe. But we have already seen in the last couple of years, a propensity on the part of the ncaa to grant waivers selectively. Couple mass one-time transfers with ongoing selective waivers and we have in essence free agency.

Agree.

Coaches can change schools whenever they get a better offer or need a change. They don’t have to “sit out” a year.

Players should have the same option.

Great. Agreed, when coaches leave or are fired. Players associated with that program and incoming recruits going to that program should have the same unfettered, unrestricted ability to leave when the coaches they commit to do the same.

That doesn't mean transferring for every other player needs to be out and out free agency under other circumstances.

What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?

In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.

Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

What happens if a student-athlete does not satisfy the one-time transfer exception criteria but still decides to transfer?

The student-athlete must attend full time and complete an academic year of residence at the new Division I school before being eligible for competition. Student-athletes should discuss additional transfer exceptions or eligibility options that may be available, depending on the specific transfer situation, with their campus compliance administrator.

What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?

Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school
would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.
"Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal."

What is indirect communication?

Can't coaches ask their players to contact players at other schools to gauge interest?

"Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal."

What is indirect communication?

Can't coaches ask their players to contact players at other schools to gauge interest?

Mommy or Daddy got involved.

Maybe. But we have already seen in the last couple of years, a propensity on the part of the ncaa to grant waivers selectively. Couple mass one-time transfers with ongoing selective waivers and we have in essence free agency.

My assumption was that the one time transfer rule, in effect, ended the waiver policy. You get one immediate transfer and after that you wait a year like the old policy.

But maybe that's a bad assumption.

My assumption was that the one time transfer rule, in effect, ended the waiver policy. You get one immediate transfer and after that you wait a year like the old policy.

I'm sure the old "blue blood needs a QB asap" rule will still be there in case of true emergency.

That is the policy they put in place, read the entire article on one of the sport sites. A second transfer you have to go through a waiver like the old policy.

That is the policy they put in place, read the entire article on one of the sport sites. A second transfer you have to go through a waiver like the old policy.
Well that just means that with the ineptitude of the ncaa that everyone going to a blue blood will always get a waiver.

The main reason it’s like the Wild West is because the ncaa, as usual, lacked the vision to prepare for what everyone including Stevie Wonder could see coming.
They’re now forced to be reactive...AGAIN, instead of planning for these changes and making them as constructive as possible. This was inevitable. JMHO

Last edited:
The main reason it’s like the Wild West is because the ncaa, as usual, lacked the vision to prepare for what everyone including Stevie Wonder knew was coming.
They’re now forced to be reactive...AGAIN, instead of planning for these changes and making them as constructive as possible. This was inevitable. JMHO
Serious question... What could the NCAA have done in advance to keep this from going where it is most certainly going? (Other than have it happen sooner.)

Serious question... What could the NCAA have done in advance to keep this from going where it is most certainly going? (Other than have it happen sooner.)
To be sure this was always heading in this direction, so you’re right about that. And my point isn’t about them stopping it, rather how soft the landing for what’s coming. For years the tea leaves have indicated that player freedoms in the form of greater movement, pay structure, and overall rights were likely to increase- and the old model of “student-athletes” would need to at the very least, be tweaked.
The system that they’re conceding to now could’ve been phased in & implemented years ago so as to avoid the shock to the system we’re likely to see in the next couple of years.
A pay system for players, greater freedom of movement w/out restrictions, flexibility in the definitions of amateur/professional athletes... and what that means for schools, just to name a few.
If you’re looking for details i certainly don’t have many, but my point is that a change of mentality was needed, and the ncaa was ill-prepared in dealing with that. Maybe because of denial or love of the status quo, etc.
Now however the courts, govts, & lawyers are filling the vacuum, & it’s like they’re being dragged kicking & screaming towards a change they have much less control of. JMHO

To be sure this was always heading in this direction, so you’re right about that. And my point isn’t about them stopping it, rather how soft the landing for what’s coming. For years the tea leaves have indicated that player freedoms in the form of greater movement, pay structure, and overall rights were likely to increase- and the old model of “student-athletes” would need to at the very least, be tweaked.
The system that they’re conceding to now could’ve been phased in & implemented years ago so as to avoid the shock to the system we’re likely to see in the next couple of years.
A pay system for players, greater freedom of movement w/out restrictions, flexibility in the definitions of amateur/professional athletes... and what that means for schools, just to name a few.
If you’re looking for details i certainly don’t have many, but my point is that a change of mentality was needed, and the ncaa was ill-prepared in dealing with that. Maybe because of denial or love of the status quo, etc.
Now however the courts, govts, & lawyers are filling the vacuum, & it’s like they’re being dragged kicking & screaming towards a change they have much less control of. JMHO
Understood. I as anti Ncaa as just about anyone, but I think they held back to let the market conditions push the change. Hard to blame them on that count I think. But I hate most of the changes anyway, so there’s that.

Understood. I as anti Ncaa as just about anyone, but I think they held back to let the market conditions push the change. Hard to blame them on that count I think. But I hate most of the changes anyway, so there’s that.
True, and the market was still working pretty well for them in that serious money was being made. The lack of urgency to change is what’ll bite them in the ass moving forward.

I like the suggestion that if you transfer before the end of your sophomore year you have to sit a year. This gives someone the chance to see their situation better. If they want to leave after one year, fine, but you will sit the next year. It’s too easy to just up and leave, especially after experiencing college this past year.
So if your kid took a job out of high school at 18, he should not be allowed to take another job for 2 years, to see if the situation is better. Really?

How long should people have to be unhappy with their choice before they can leave the 2 deep of your college football team? Is that how you think adults should be treated?

How about an 18 year old who is pregnant? Should she have to wait 2 years to decide whether or not to keep the baby, you know, to see if the situation is better, 2 years down the road.

Last edited:
So if your kid took a job out of high school at 18, he should not be allowed to take another job for 2 years, to see if the situation is better. Really?

How long should people have to be unhappy with their choice before they can leave the 2 deep of your college football team? Is that how you think adults should be treated?

How about an 18 year old who is pregnant? Should she have to wait 2 years to decide whether or not to keep the baby, you know, to see if the situation is better, 2 years down the road.
Actually many employers that recruit and do things like pay relocation have you sign an agreement that if you leave within a specific time period you must repay expenses. So yes happens with adults more often then you realize. My first job out of college would have required me to pay my sign on bonus if I left within 12 months of my start date. A player who gets drafted by an NFL franchise must sit a full year if he decides he doesn’t want to play there before he can be selected again. See Bo Jackson. IMHO abortion is a terrible argument and is not akin to taking a job you don’t like or picking a school you don’t like.

Actually many employers that recruit and do things like pay relocation have you sign an agreement that if you leave within a specific time period you must repay expenses. So yes happens with adults more often then you realize. My first job out of college would have required me to pay my sign on bonus if I left within 12 months of my start date. A player who gets drafted by an NFL franchise must sit a full year if he decides he doesn’t want to play there before he can be selected again. See Bo Jackson. IMHO abortion is a terrible argument and is not akin to taking a job you don’t like or picking a school you don’t like.
You are comparing Apples to Zebras. You need to stay in the universe in which we are dealing, not the outside world. A NLI or athletic scholarship has no such inducements. In fact, they are strictly FORBIDDERN AND IMPROPER in the NCAA environment and would render the athlete ineligible to play, and put the school on probation with sanctions.

Those circumstances you cited by you have NOTHING to do with anything other that ROI for the employer. When you show me the athletes getting a signing/retention bonus and the school paying their relocation expenses, then I would agree that they could be compelled to return that money. That doesn't happen in the NCAA.

None of those things have anything to do with sticking it out to see if you like it better so our roster is not upset. They are strictly monetary. Last I looked, NCAA schools are NFP whose mission is education, not monetary ROI.

Last edited:
You are comparing Apples to Zebras. You need to stay in the universe in which we are dealing, not the outside world. A NLI or athletic scholarship has no such inducements. In fact, they are strictly FORBIDDERN AND IMPROPER in the NCAA environment and would render the athlete ineligible to play, and put the school on probation with sanctions.

Those circumstances you cited by you have NOTHING to do with anything other that ROI for the employer. When you show me the athletes getting a signing/retention bonus and the school paying their relocation expenses, then I would agree that they could be compelled to return that money. That doesn't happen in the NCAA.

None of those things have anything to do with sticking it out to see if you like it better so our roster is not upset. They are strictly monetary. Last I looked, NCAA schools are NFP whose mission is education, not monetary ROI.
I had a friend that went to nursing school at St Joe's. He was able to go tuition free but had to make a 3 year commitment to work there after he graduated. That's probably comparable.

It’s not like they get nothing. 350,000 education at su. Stipend. Coaching, training etc. the school makes an investment like an employer.
People will always disagree on this issue. The thing that I find unfortunate is that a lot of players care more about playing the sport then getting an education. When you are moving schools it will affect your ability in your major and eventual graduation.
A lot of kids will enter the portal give up their scholarship and be placed in a negative situation.
Most players seem to only be thinking of the nfl which is limited to a select group of players and even if you make it the longevity is about three years for most.

It’s not like they get nothing. 350,000 education at su. Stipend. Coaching, training etc. the school makes an investment like an employer.
People will always disagree on this issue. The thing that I find unfortunate is that a lot of players care more about playing the sport then getting an education. When you are moving schools it will affect your ability in your major and eventual graduation.
A lot of kids will enter the portal give up their scholarship and be placed in a negative situation.
Most players seem to only be thinking of the nfl which is limited to a select group of players and even if you make it the longevity is about three years for most.
That’s BS.
#1. College sports fans do not give a crap about athletes getting educated. If they did, donations, attendance and coaching retention would be based on grad rates, not wins and losses.
2. That education excuse is what the NCAA has used for decades to suppress student athletes rights for freedom of movement.
3. That’s what the predominantly white fan base, boosters and administrators have used to keep control over the predominantly minority and poor athletes.
4. If that BS were true, why do the vast majority of sports not have any restrictions on transfers? None. Do transfers only effect the eduction of football, basketball and hockey players? Are you saying that athletes in the other sports are inherently smarter than the ones in the aforementioned sports? I would hope not.
5. Normal students (who are predominantly white and middle-upper class) transfer at a far greater rate than do student athletes (this year’s numbers notwithstanding.) No one seems worried about their education. I wonder why that is? (Not really. Follow the money. Find the less empowered.)

That’s BS.
#1. College sports fans do not give a crap about athletes getting educated. If they did, donations, attendance and coaching retention would be based on grad rates, not wins and losses.
2. That education excuse is what the NCAA has used for decades to suppress student athletes rights for freedom of movement.
3. That’s what the predominantly white fan base, boosters and administrators have used to keep control over the predominantly minority and poor athletes.
4. If that BS were true, why do the vast majority of sports not have any restrictions on transfers? None. Do transfers only effect the eduction of football, basketball and hockey players? Are you saying that athletes in the other sports are inherently smarter than the ones in the aforementioned sports? I would hope not.
5. Normal students (who are predominantly white and middle-upper class) transfer at a far greater rate than do student athletes (this year’s numbers notwithstanding.) No one seems worried about their education. I wonder why that is? (Not really. Follow the money. Find the less empowered.)
Harvard, Yale and the mighty Beavers of MIT get pretty nice donations. How did they do in the tourney this year?