DI Council adopts new transfer legislation | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

DI Council adopts new transfer legislation

That’s BS.
#1. College sports fans do not give a crap about athletes getting educated. If they did, donations, attendance and coaching retention would be based on grad rates, not wins and losses.
2. That education excuse is what the NCAA has used for decades to suppress student athletes rights for freedom of movement.
3. That’s what the predominantly white fan base, boosters and administrators have used to keep control over the predominantly minority and poor athletes.
4. If that BS were true, why do the vast majority of sports not have any restrictions on transfers? None. Do transfers only effect the eduction of football, basketball and hockey players? Are you saying that athletes in the other sports are inherently smarter than the ones in the aforementioned sports? I would hope not.
5. Normal students (who are predominantly white and middle-upper class) transfer at a far greater rate than do student athletes (this year’s numbers notwithstanding.) No one seems worried about their education. I wonder why that is? (Not really. Follow the money. Find the less empowered.)
Ok first of all who said anything about fans? This isn't about the fans this is about a trained athlete at the universities expense getting them ready potentially for a career in a multi-billion dollar industry. Stop moving the goal posts.

Second I never used an education excuse. As far as that goes I was a student who paid my own way to supplement academic scholarships and spent 4 amazing years at SU. I would have killed to have someone pay my full academic boat, train me, give me a stipend and feed me at no expense to me. Oh and supply me with tutors to ensure I had a chance at a degree.

Third stop with the race rhetoric. Race has nothing to do with it .. but how many minorities comprise the general NFL roster vs white athletes. The minority is the majority. I know many minority boosters and minority fans, you do realize that African Americans make up 14% of the population don't you? So how do you expect 14% of the population to make up a significant majority of this base? Seriously just stop it.

Fourth other than football and hoops none of the other sports generate the income that these two collegiate sports do and they require significant investment to lure top talent. No one implied intelligence is a factor that is your butt hurt conjecture. However since you are so socially conscience why don't you go condemn hockey for not having enough minorities?

Students who transfer pay their own way ... apparently they follow their own money. Funny how that works isn't it?

You are comparing Apples to Zebras. You need to stay in the universe in which we are dealing, not the outside world. A NLI or athletic scholarship has no such inducements. In fact, they are strictly FORBIDDERN AND IMPROPER in the NCAA environment and would render the athlete ineligible to play, and put the school on probation with sanctions.

Those circumstances you cited by you have NOTHING to do with anything other that ROI for the employer. When you show me the athletes getting a signing/retention bonus and the school paying their relocation expenses, then I would agree that they could be compelled to return that money. That doesn't happen in the NCAA.

None of those things have anything to do with sticking it out to see if you like it better so our roster is not upset. They are strictly monetary. Last I looked, NCAA schools are NFP whose mission is education, not monetary ROI.
BTW you asked about an 18 year old being potentially stuck at a job I'm giving you examples of where that happens ... to 18 year olds ... 22 year olds and hell anyone that accepts a scholarship that is tied to a university. That help you a little bit or not?

Harvard, Yale and the mighty Beavers of MIT get pretty nice donations. How did they do in the tourney this year?
Agree. Several peer-reviewed studies have shown that athletic success has zero influence on contributions to the academic side of the house. AMOF, most contributors to academics couldn't care less about athletic success. The biggest influence athletics has is increasing the number of applications (the "Flutie Effect") and most elite schools don't need more applicants to reject; they have enough of them already.

Agree. Several peer-reviewed studies have shown that athletic success has zero influence on contributions to the academic side of the house. AMOF, most contributors to academics couldn't care less about athletic success. The biggest influence athletics has is increasing the number of applications (the "Flutie Effect") and most elite schools don't need more applicants to reject; they have enough of them already.
You’re not wrong look at the application rejection rate at U of Florida before Spurrier and then since his arrival. It would shock some folks.

That’s BS.
#1. College sports fans do not give a crap about athletes getting educated. If they did, donations, attendance and coaching retention would be based on grad rates, not wins and losses.
2. That education excuse is what the NCAA has used for decades to suppress student athletes rights for freedom of movement.
3. That’s what the predominantly white fan base, boosters and administrators have used to keep control over the predominantly minority and poor athletes.
4. If that BS were true, why do the vast majority of sports not have any restrictions on transfers? None. Do transfers only effect the eduction of football, basketball and hockey players? Are you saying that athletes in the other sports are inherently smarter than the ones in the aforementioned sports? I would hope not.
5. Normal students (who are predominantly white and middle-upper class) transfer at a far greater rate than do student athletes (this year’s numbers notwithstanding.) No one seems worried about their education. I wonder why that is? (Not really. Follow the money. Find the less empowered.)
Man the barricades, up the proletariat! :p

Harvard, Yale and the mighty Beavers of MIT get pretty nice donations. How did they do in the tourney this year?
What does that have to do with anything

What does that have to do with anything
It's trying to point out what has been proven, that donations to the academic side of the house are unaffected by athletic success.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom