DI Council adopts new transfer legislation | Syracusefan.com

DI Council adopts new transfer legislation

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

The Division I Council launched a discussion of a return to some recruiting activities, and the group intends to vote on a return to recruiting during its April meeting. Division I has been in a recruiting dead period since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020.

Council members discussed several possible models, including one that would return all sports to their regular recruiting calendars on June 1 and a more uniform model for all sports that would allow the return of certain recruiting activities like official and unofficial visits beginning June 1, with a return to the regular calendar for all sports on Aug. 1.

The Council affirmed its preference to vote as soon as April on a legislative proposal that would provide student-athletes the opportunity to compete immediately after transfer, no matter what sport they play.

The Council affirmed its preference to vote as soon as April on a legislative proposal that would provide student-athletes the opportunity to compete immediately after transfer, no matter what sport they play.

We should know soon.
Ignore NIL for decades. Refuse to act on key legislation that directly affects a huge number of athletes until the transfer season is mostly over.

How can the leadership live with themselves? How can they continue to ‘work’ each day knowing how unspeakably bad they have been at their jobs?

I am usually a guy who defenses the establishment. I think a lot of the time, the powers that be do a decent job and sometimes get unfair criticism.

Not in this case. Everything they do is done poorly. They even screwed up the NCAA tournament, at least for the women.

Boo. Hiss.

Let everyone transfer without penalty. Everyone knows it is the right thing.

Do it. Now.

Ignore NIL for decades. Refuse to act on key legislation that directly affects a huge number of athletes until the transfer season is mostly over.

How can the leadership live with themselves? How can they continue to ‘work’ each day knowing how unspeakably bad they have been at their jobs?

I am usually a guy who defenses the establishment. I think a lot of the time, the powers that be do a decent job and sometimes get unfair criticism.

Not in this case. Everything they do is done poorly. They even screwed up the NCAA tournament, at least for the women.

Boo. Hiss.

Let everyone transfer without penalty. Everyone knows it is the right thing.

Do it. Now.
Can you imagine how glorious college sports would be with a properly managed NCAA?

Can you imagine how glorious college sports would be with a properly managed NCAA?

It's obvious this has been coming for the better part of a decade. They had a chance to lead in front and control things to make it equitable. Instead the heads went into the sand.

It's obvious this has been coming for the better part of a decade. They had a chance to lead in front and control things to make it equitable. Instead the heads went into the sand.
As per usual. It is like they have the perfect product to sell. Only their own perfect incompetence could screw it up, and yet it still doesn't work. They couldn't do worse if they were actually trying to screw it all up.

Do Not be afraid to sue the NCAA. If there's a way to advise them of that before their decision - all the better. They seem to respond to lawsuits. Kent must know, or could find out, the appropriate way to give the NCAA a "heads up".

For this year only, a waiver has been approved for all transferring athletes to use a July 1 notification deadline for immediate eligibility for the 2021-22 academic year.

It appears it is finally going to happen...
I am not a fan of this rule at all. It's going to lead to a lot of impulsive decisions by 18-20 year olds, and the ruining of recruiting classes that coaching staffs work year-round to put together. The attrition and turnover is going to be horrifying. Not a fan at all.

However, I am happy that this means Garrett can play this year.

I like the suggestion that if you transfer before the end of your sophomore year you have to sit a year. This gives someone the chance to see their situation better. If they want to leave after one year, fine, but you will sit the next year. It’s too easy to just up and leave, especially after experiencing college this past year.

I am not a fan of this rule at all. It's going to lead to a lot of impulsive decisions by 18-20 year olds, and the ruining of recruiting classes that coaching staffs work year-round to put together. The attrition and turnover is going to be horrifying. Not a fan at all.

However, I am happy that this means Garrett can play this year.
I know most people think the blue bloods will get the best transfers. My thoughts are the massive disparity lies in all the depth at schools like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and others. Currently a lot of good players have to sit for 2 or 3 years before they play.
Now they can transfer and play immediately at their new school. The blue bloods won't be able to keep all the 5 stars waiting for playing time.

I know most people think the blue bloods will get the best transfers. My thoughts are the massive disparity lies in all the depth at schools like Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, and others. Currently a lot of good players have to sit for 2 or 3 years before they play.
Now they can transfer and play immediately at their new school. The blue bloods won't be able to keep all the 5 stars waiting for playing time.
That is one other side of the coin, and I agree that there are some positives. I'm wondering what is going to win out here. The positives or the negatives

If a regular student can transfer colleges why can't a student-athlete? If a coach can leave a team and immediately go coach somewhere else why can't a student-athlete? All these rules exist to protect the institutions, not the players.
See my previous post

What criteria does the student-athlete need to meet in order to utilize the new Division I one-time exception to seek immediate transfer eligibility?

In order to meet the criteria of the one-time transfer exception, the student-athlete must:
• Transfer from a four-year collegiate institution to an NCAA Division I school;
• Leave their current four-year school academically eligible;
• Have not transferred previously from another four-year institution, and
• Certify in writing, along with their new head coach, they did not have direct or indirect communication with the new school’s athletics staff prior to entering the NCAA Transfer Portal.

Additionally, a student-athlete must provide their current school with a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal by July 1, 2021 (all sports) to use the one-time exception.

Other rules (e.g., disciplinary suspension at the previous school, transferable credits accepted by your new school, sport specific midyear transfer rules) may also factor into the campus compliance administrator’s certification of transfer eligibility.

What happens if a student-athlete does not satisfy the one-time transfer exception criteria but still decides to transfer?

The student-athlete must attend full time and complete an academic year of residence at the new Division I school before being eligible for competition. Student-athletes should discuss additional transfer exceptions or eligibility options that may be available, depending on the specific transfer situation, with their campus compliance administrator.

What if a student-athlete previously transferred from a four-year school and would like to transfer again?

Generally, a student-athlete who has previously transferred from another four-year school
would not qualify for the one-time exception. There is an additional exception to this application if their previous transfer was due to the discontinuation or nonsponsorship of their sport at their original school.

I do not personally like the rule and feel in the short term it will have a negative impact on college sports. However, this may really help su in the long run. We tend to miss out on high three and four star rated players. These players seem to fall for the recruiting pitch and go to the same blue bloods. Could see a bunch of these kids get there and see the depth chart and want to transfer. It is really going to change recruiting. SU will loose it’s share of players but I do not see our better players leaving for other programs like they will from non p5 conferences. Also sec still has the rule that if you transfer within the conference you have to sit out. Could see a lot of sec kids go to other conferences. Time will tell if this was a good idea or the beginning of the end of college sports.

As a fan I'm not excited about all the player turnover. But I'm ok with admitting it's not all about me. I think the way they did the rule makes a lot of sense with only allowing one transfer without sitting out and athletes having a deadline to declare their intentions so coaches can have some idea and prepare.

Last edited:
As a fan I'm not excited about all the player turnover. But I'm ok with admitting it's not all about me. I think they way they did the rule makes a lot of sense with only allowing one transfer without sitting out and athletes having a deadline to declare their intentions so coaches can have some idea and prepare.
The interesting question will they still allow waivers for kids that have already transferred once and want to go to another school.

The interesting question will they still allow waivers for kids that have already transferred once and want to go to another school.
It says they can’t if they already transferred from a four year institution.