Diaco on our offense | Syracusefan.com

Diaco on our offense

NKR1978

Living Legend
"As fast as they're going they can't be real elaborate, either," Diaco said. "They can't do a whole bunch — some shift traits and motion — to create confusion. The confusion is the tempo. So there's some vanilla elements to what they're forced and relegated to do, because they're moving fast also. There's not a whole bunch of control the defense has as it relates to tempo and pace of play."

I've never heard the Babers offense described. Any thought on this from those of you who know much more about football than I do.

Al Groh, who did the color commentary of the TV broadcast least week, said essentially the same thing.

From what I understand, it's not just the tempo that makes it hard to defend. It's the design that forces defenses to leave something available on every play. If the offense reads the defense correctly after the snap, there should always be a positive option, assuming the D line doesn't blow up the play at the LOS.

This sounds about right. In this type of offense you can't have the Deleone 175 play dual wristbands and 47 pre snap shifts and motions. I would like to think as the team becomes more comfortable with the offense we can add in a handful of new plays and little intricacies to make 15-20 plays become 25-30.

This sounds about right. In this type of offense you can't have the Deleone 175 play dual wristbands and 47 pre snap shifts and motions. I would like to think as the team becomes more comfortable with the offense we can add in a handful of new plays and little intricacies to make 15-20 plays become 25-30.
I'm not sure that's even necessary. I think the idea is that every play is essentially multiple plays based on reads. And since the initial action post snap is the same the defense can't tell where the ball is going to go. I think as Dungey gets more comfortable we'll see him make different and maybe more aggressive decisions.

I think this is a must read for any fans trying to understand what we are trying to do: How the hell do you stop Baylor? Part I: What are they doing? - Football Study Hall

During the last two games we had moments where Dungey noticed confusion in the secondary even getting lined up and snapped it with defenders talking to each other. As they get faster and better at noticing that kind of disarray - they will really start to put the hammer down and make teams pay.

I think this is a must read for any fans trying to understand what we are trying to do: How the hell do you stop Baylor? Part I: What are they doing? - Football Study Hall

During the last two games we had moments where Dungey noticed confusion in the secondary even getting lined up and snapped it with defenders talking to each other. As they get faster and better at noticing that kind of disarray - they will really start to put the hammer down and make teams pay.
Awesome read. Thank you!

I'm not sure that's even necessary. I think the idea is that every play is essentially multiple plays based on reads. And since the initial action post snap is the same the defense can't tell where the ball is going to go. I think as Dungey gets more comfortable we'll see him make different and maybe more aggressive decisions.
I like to think of it like a pitcher that does a good job of making his fastball and changeup look exactly the same.

time will tell if the issues we see are bad reads, bad execution, or just not having the players to run the offense well yet. the RB needs to fit whole a bit faster to get to the 2nd level it can always be about find a huge hole to run thru.

late reads in the running game mean a few yards lost, late reads in the passing game mean INTs. 3 games in there is not that much Dungey hasnt seen yet, whether he is seeing it fast enough will be the key.

UV got deep a bunch last week but didnt hit them. uconn started sliding the LBs around to help in the short passing game. UV ran for 4.5 a run against Uconn and almost 5 vs oregon but nothing agasinst richmond, and got about 400 overall. the last 2 games as well.

without mistakes we can move the ball.

Groh is a dinosaur who was as giddy as a school-girl when Babers' 4th down attempt in the first half failed.

He did seem to enjoy when our 4th down plays didn't work and when anything not meathead football didn't work in general.

Al Groh, who did the color commentary of the TV broadcast least week, said essentially the same thing.
The broadcast was pretty bad, but there were multiple times Groh called out the play we were going to run just based on the formation. Pretty predictable.

The broadcast was pretty bad, but there were multiple times Groh called out the play we were going to run just based on the formation. Pretty predictable.

Yeah - he'd call it out and then was like "they are going to have to bring their corners up" - which is exactly what Dino wants. It was one guy playing chess with an expert checker player calling the game. He also, like most meatheads, gave the air that the system was offensive to his sensibilities. Like an old pastor upset at the use of drums in church.

my question all along is will the D over time cause a play to be run be formation? we have made it pretty clear what the D does tells the offense whether to run or pass. so then does the D work on showing the pre snap keys that tell us to run but ignore the passing parts of the play action and just expect the run? if there enough post snap reads to balance off what the D is doing? I would think some plays and blocking handle it better than others? or does our base offense do more post snap than we realize to take advantage of a D that tries to force us down a certain road?

Yea, but he was wrong as often as he was right.