Diagnosis: Tyus may be thinking too much at this point... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Diagnosis: Tyus may be thinking too much at this point...

Analysis: noun 1. detailed examination of the elements or structure of something, typically as a basis for discussion or interpretation.

Fact: noun 1. a thing that is indisputably the case.

Notice the difference. At no point was I presenting my analysis as fact. Just sayin...
Well, since you used "analytical" in your first defense, and not "analysis", I can see your confusion. You did an opinionated analysis. Nothing analytical. Analytical implies scientific or rigorous or data-driven. You presented opinion. You can fight this and call it anything you want. It was opinion. Nothing more. And that's fine.

Done here.

You did an opinionated analysis.

Thank you...

...and thank you for bringing to light the under-appreciated fact that the term "analytical", in some circles, implies scientific or rigorous or data-driven presentations, while in others it means simply:

Analytical: relating to or using analysis or logical reasoning.

Not sure I understand why you're dismissing the mental side of the game of basketball.

Why is it that good shooters (recall Cooney, GMAC) lapse into extended shooting funks? Or why free-throw shooters hit them in practice, but miss them when it is crucial for the team to pick up points late in the game? Why does pressure get to some players late in the game but not others?

Specifically, if confidence is such an important factor---and JB agrees that it is---then how is a player supposed to summon up some confidence after he has missed his last three shots? What is that ideal mental attitude that a top-performing athlete needs to carry into a game in order to excel?

For some players, fixing their problems with confidence can be especially vexing, since it is comparable to the challenge of trying "not to think about a pink elephant." The more you try not to think about it, the more you think about it. Thus, my 'advice' on how one might be able to escape that mental trap.

Seeing Tyus' frustration---at the same time that Brissett is playing like an all-American---makes me wonder if his anxiety about his game performance could end up becoming a 'thing' in his mind, that could end up hurting his performances throughout the season.

I get it that you're not accustomed to this kind of analysis being proffered on a fan discussion board, but why go out of your way to characterize it as something different, as a type of speculation that represents something other than perfectly legitimate analysis?

Seriously, if you didn't find anything in my comment that is worthy of your time, then why not simply move on to another comment?
There was another poster on this board who used to focus on the mental/psychological aspect of the players but I can’t remember who it was. He may be gone now. I like to think about it as well, not only the dynamics of what “MAY” be happening inside a player’s head, but the dynamics between players. All of that is just as important as skills, IMVHO. Captain J and I used to have some fun discussions about the energy between players and fans that we enjoyed but I would estimate most others did not.

Have fun here! People don’t agree with each other. People are not interested in the same things. We are a very diverse group, and we all love SU bball.

There was another poster on this board who used to focus on the mental/psychological aspect of the players but I can’t remember who it was. He may be gone now. I like to think about it as well, not only the dynamics of what “MAY” be happening inside a player’s head, but the dynamics between players. All of that is just as important as skills, IMVHO. Captain J and I used to have some fun discussions about the energy between players and fans that we enjoyed but I would estimate most others did not.

Have fun here! People don’t agree with each other. People are not interested in the same things. We are a very diverse group, and we all love SU bball.
I used to do that. Hey, I paid for/am still paying for an SU psych degree, so it’s good to get some ‘use’ out of it. But the board tends to not indulge in abstraction that doesn’t make them feel good. The other way, though. Is encouraged! And now we have a lexicon squabble about Analysis vs Analytical...

I think the original post was a bit long, preachy and based on a lot of assumptions that may not be accurate. Other than that, it was great.

To be fair though, I do agree in that along with Battle playing out of position, he may be pressing a bit. However, one good game can put that all to rest.

I don't know that it's about playing out of of position. I don't remember him struggling when Frank was out of games last year. He's just missing shots, and those shots would have come whether or not an 'actual PG' was feeding him the ball. We haven't been challenged so much that he's had to labor to just get the ball up court. He's getting the same looks, just not hitting. The other thing is that he now looks like he's working very hard for everything and maybe that's because we now have a contrast in Hughes. Battle is jerky-jerky, explosive, and assertive, and Hughes is calm, smooth, and seems to let things come to him.

It's reasonable to suggest that Battle feels added pressure to outperform his stats from last year, given than he might think he needs to make an even bigger impression to get a better draft position than he would have had. And to get drafted ahead of Oshae... and Hughes.

But, i'm not worried about him.

Understand that I wasn't asserting that Tyus is trapped in a mental state that had doomed his season. The next game he can, and probably will, shake it all out of his head and put together another one of his impressive performances. Just noting some of the subtleties of the mental side of the game that we all take such a great interest in...
I just think that you are making a lot of generalizations about his emotional state based on one game. I just looked at the title again and realized you put diagnosis in the beginning which did make me laugh so thanks for that. Could you give us your prognosis now. I would love to hear it.

just change the thread title to "overthinking" and it says it all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom