did anyone else catch this story about rob drummond | Syracusefan.com

did anyone else catch this story about rob drummond

What do you expect when even the word "cool" to describe the president has some folks believing it has racial undertones. It's the times we live in.

Did they use martians for the green sections? If they did and I was a martian parent, I'd be unhappy too.

Hmmmm. I never would've looked at that and saw perceived "racism" if it wasn't pointed out to look for it.

The folks in the green sections all look like Simpsons characters though.

In my experience, people who make everything about race are the biggest racists.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
In my experience, concluding that a person is anything, including a racist, based upon a single newspaper article, is a very iffy proposition.

Rob needs to chill out. If this is his biggest problem in life he is doing fine.

Those poor Drummond children going to one of the best schools in NY state. At least they were part of the exciting part of the picture. The poor white kids just make up the background. ****, 30 years ago, an FM yearbook done this way would have been JUST the boring white background.

I guess it says more about Drummond than the people that did the yearbook. People see what they want to see. If you want to see ghosts, you'll see ghosts...

You know, you root for these kids on the field and when they leave you wish them great happiness and success in life. Drummond was a local kid, and it made you extra proud of his accomplishments. But in the end, idealism can turn to the reality that people are human and have human failings. Drummond failed here, his thinking is totally twisted, and that's disappointing.

You people are nuts. Of course this offensive. It isn't that big of a deal, but if you can't tell this is inappropriate at a glance, then you really need to take a look in the mirror.

(This is more an accusation of cluelessness vs. one of racism.)

I think offensive is even too strong a word. I think someone at the publisher should have known it was certainly NOT a good idea.

You people are nuts. Of course this offensive. It isn't that big of a deal, but if you can't tell this is inappropriate at a glance, then you really need to take a look in the mirror.

(This is more an accusation of cluelessness vs. one of racism.)
I'm guessing that you are of a comparable age to me. If you grew up in a certain time, you may be more sensitive to the idea of segregation. I remember (vaguely) when Elston Howard was paraded across the stage at the Ed Sullivan Show, as the Yankees finally brought a black player to the majors, more than 10 years after Jackie Robinson broke in. And it was another decade plus before Kentucky finally signed a black basketball player.

Those 30-and-under (maybe even 40-and-under) have different cultural memories. Speaking up and informing/reminding younger people of the way it was is what older generations have always done--and should always do.

That was kind of tacky by Jostens. Someone at the company should have notice and not let it get out. I can see why Drummond as an African American would be upset.

i just never realized that a hornet is racist as i must be the only white boy to have been stung by one.

it's about time we start a petition to have the school change it's mascot so this or any other school would never to have suffer such a tramatic event as this again.

we here have a white background and all these words we read to help us form our opinion are "black" and i find this to be extremely racist.

and if i was black i would be complaining about how the roads are black and the white lines tells us where to go and even park.

Offensive? I guess if you want to be offended go ahead. If you go looking for racism you'll find it anywhere. This was not a slap you in the face example though. There are many more important things in life than a middle school yearbook.

That was kind of tacky by Jostens. Someone at the company should have notice and not let it get out. I can see why Drummond as an African American would be upset.

Really? Anyone that sees anything other than children and a hornet design has serious issues.

Clearly is was not meant to be racist but on the other hand, to segregate the kids based on their skin color was dumb.

Clearly is was not meant to be racist but on the other hand, to segregate the kids based on their skin color was dumb.
I hope the first part of your sentence is right. I know the second part is.

Recognizing different skin colors among students is not racist. Of the following, what is more inappropriate?

1. The way they did it with more pigmented kids in the hornet
2. Making pigmented kids ashen-white in order to put them in the lighter background section
3. Making white kids appear dark-skinned in order to put them in the hornet

Recognizing different skin colors among students is not racist. Of the following, what is more inappropriate?

1. The way they did it with more pigmented kids in the hornet
2. Making pigmented kids ashen-white in order to put them in the lighter background section
3. Making white kids appear dark-skinned in order to put them in the hornet

Racist or not...it was stupid to segregate the kids in a photo by color. In fact, all three options above are stupid. If the design is truly dependent on the color of the kid's skin... pick another design. If it's not, make the sorting random and/or use other design elements to make it work.

It should be OK to segregate by skin color for a picture just as it is OK to put the tall people in the back row. I hope someday it will be. I'm saddened that it still makes some people (like Drummond) angry.

When I saw this article I just sighed. I agree with an earlier post that said. you had to be somewhat of a racist to think this was meant to be racist. Whomever started all this politically correct nonsense that has taken over our nation should be slapped in the face. It's sad really.

It should be OK to segregate by skin color for a picture just as it is OK to put the tall people in the back row. I hope someday it will be. I'm saddened that it still makes some people (like Drummond) angry.
Yeah. They should segregate the yearbook too. They should group all the whites together in the front pages and the blacks grouped after that. Or, instead of tall people in the back, put blacks in the back of the group pictures.