Did anyone notice that we have 10 conference wins? | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone notice that we have 10 conference wins?

10 Conference wins doesn’t mean much.
We were 8-10 last year and made the tournament.
It’s who you play and beat.
We went 10-6 in 2007 and didn’t make the tournament. However we had a great draw that year and the committee screwed us.
We got a great draw this year.
We swept BC and Pitt, split with Duke and got 9th seed Clemson as our 4th h/h.

Of the top 5 teams in the ACC standing we went 1-5.
Against teams 6-9 we are 2-1
Against teams 10-15 we are 7-1.

So we are textbook medicore.
We are losing to the good teams and beating the bad teams.
We are going to make the tournament without sweating it out with 1 more win. That is more good than being 10-7.

While I am happy that Syracuse has 10 wins, I can only remember 2 that were significant or signature (1st Duke Game and the Louisville game). The Duke game had two of their players hurt. I am hoping Syracuse does well but they have not played up to their anticipated level. They won the games that they were supposed to and lost to good teams. I think that they are close to showing what they can do but they can’t have games like the one they had with Virginia. The players can’t go to the top of the key, try to make a jump pass and be stripped over and over again.

Last edited:
10 Conference wins doesn’t mean much.
We were 8-10 last year and made the tournament.
It’s who you play and beat.
We went 10-6 in 2007 and didn’t make the tournament. However we had a great draw that year and the committee screwed us.
We got a great draw this year.
We swept BC and Pitt, split with Duke and got 9th seed Clemson as our 4th h/h.

Of the top 5 teams in the ACC standing we went 1-5.
Against teams 6-9 we are 2-1
Against teams 10-15 we are 7-1.

So we are textbook medicore.
We are losing to the good teams and beating the bad teams.
We are going to make the tournament without sweating it out with 1 more win. That is more good than being 10-7.

THIS. All conf Records are not the same. Imagine if Syracuse had the 4 H/H schedule of Duke this year?

They have to play both UVA and Carolina twice this year.

We have a chance to finish 11-7.

Which would be our 2nd best ACC record ever (and our best during the sanctions).

How many of you people thought two months ago that we'd finish sub .500?
The answer to your last question is that noone expected a record anywhere near .500 in conf. Which explains all of the frustration that you see with every other post. I went back and reviewed the Iggy award predictions when we hit 10 losses, and found that only 3 people predicted 10 or more losses, and 2 of those were exactly 10 losses for the full season. So that's less than 3% of the hardest core fan base expected this mediocre of a season, and it's unfortunate they can't enjoy what is not a bad season at all because of unreasonable expectations back in November. Get to the sweet 16 again, which I now expect, and all will be forgiven.

The answer to your last question is that noone expected a record anywhere near .500 in conf. Which explains all of the frustration that you see with every other post. I went back and reviewed the Iggy award predictions when we hit 10 losses, and found that only 3 people predicted 10 or more losses, and 2 of those were exactly 10 losses for the full season. So that's less than 3% of the hardest core fan base expected this mediocre of a season, and it's unfortunate they can't enjoy what is not a bad season at all because of unreasonable expectations back in November. Get to the sweet 16 again, which I now expect, and all will be forgiven.

Back in December, the board was convinced that we'd finish with an overall losing record.

We literally just want to be a Top 25 program in the regular season again... I don't think that's unreasonable. Our conference record is great and all, but losing to some awful teams OOC and then feasting on cupcakes in conference, all the while getting smoked by the upper echelon of the conference isn't something I'd hope any Syracuse fan becomes ok with.

I'm excited, and hopeful about our football program. I'm just going through the motions with basketball lately. It is what it is, I guess. Onto the tourney and a chance to salvage yet another disappointing season.

Back in December, the board was convinced that we'd finish with an overall losing record.
Maybe 5 posters thought that. It’s a strawman argument.
The fact we went from .500 to medicore isn’t great for our program.
We were preseason ranked.
We took care of the bad teams on our schedule sorry if I don’t really want to celebrate that.
The Duke win was outstanding and it’s no coincidence that one was our best offensive performance.

Agreed, but that's not at all what was predicted before games started. We went from final 4 locks to NIT in a heartbeat. The team has actually made a pretty nice recovery during ACC play, to your original point. Beat Clemson, a game we're probably underdogs in, win that first ACCT game, and everyone should feel pretty good going into the NCAA.

10 conference wins with 7 over bad teams.
An OOC performance that was downright bad.

This has been a pretty bad year, one of our worse in the JB era. I don't think there's anything to really be happy with outside of the Duke W...

10 conference wins with 7 over bad teams.
An OOC performance that was downright bad.

This has been a pretty bad year, one of our worse in the JB era. I don't think there's anything to really be happy with outside of the Duke W...
Huh? There really are no bad ACC teams. Wake who we killed just gave Duke all they could handle at Duke. We hung with Duke and UNC and we’re mauled the the refs. We beat OSU at their joint also. We have some odd losses but this season has been better than people think. This team could do damage in the ncaas (or lose first round). We’re going to scare a no 1 I think

THIS. All conf Records are not the same. Imagine if Syracuse had the 4 H/H schedule of Duke this year?

They have to play both UVA and Carolina twice this year.

We played Duke twice, UNC and UVa which is 4 games against the top 3 teams. This is the exact same number of games Duke will play against the top 3 teams. Yes we were 1-3 in those games but their schedule against the top 3 teams is essentially the same as ours. Duke will most likely go 2-2 versus these teams.

Eh we made the tournament by the skin of our pouch last season, and I’ve been confident this year that we’re in since end of February. 10 wins is a sign we’re still more than competitive.

These posts that we’ve fallen to middle tier are a bit premature.

Higher expectations were not unreasonable. There were many good reasons to think the team would be much better this season. However, there were the PG injuries and several key players did not improve or got worse.

Huh? There really are no bad ACC teams. Wake who we killed just gave Duke all they could handle at Duke. We hung with Duke and UNC and we’re mauled the the refs. We beat OSU at their joint also. We have some odd losses but this season has been better than people think. This team could do damage in the ncaas (or lose first round). We’re going to scare a no 1 I think

Bad is a subjective word. The acc this year is very top heavy. The bottom of the league is definitely far from strong. Bc, pitt, ga tech, wake, and then Miami and nd, two teams usually solid, are down. I think this is pretty obvious, no? We played pitt and bc twice. Let’s just admit that’s favorable scheduling. I’m completely fine with it, too.

lol the bottom of the ACC sucks.
Knicks411 outlines the rankings of the bottom of the conference this year compared to previous years:
The ACC only has 9 teams in the top
75 of KenPom.
The entire Big Ten is in the top 75.

We beat Ohio State and lost to Buffalo and Old Dominion at home.

My god we have 2 wins in conference play against NCAAT teams.
Good spin though counselor.

Bad is a subjective word. The acc this year is very top heavy. The bottom of the league is definitely far from strong. Bc, pitt, ga tech, wake, and then Miami and nd, two teams usually solid, are down. I think this is pretty obvious, no? We played pitt and bc twice. Let’s just admit that’s favorable scheduling. I’m completely fine with it, too.
I wouldn’t call our schedule favorable overall. They killed us on the last 8 or so. It’s fair. Pitt and BC have been struggles for us at times.

I wouldn’t call our schedule favorable overall. They killed us on the last 8 or so. It’s fair. Pitt and BC have been struggles for us at times.
Since Jaime Dixon left Pitt we are 5-1 against them.
BC has sucked every year since we joined the ACC. Us losing games to them is more on us than them.
Our schedule this year has been favorable and it’s not like we have many wins against ACC NCAA tournament teams.

Overall our schedule was pretty strong given 4 games against top 10 teams. But 6 total games against teams currently 14-36 in conference.