Did anyone notice that we have 10 conference wins? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone notice that we have 10 conference wins?

Reality’s become that Syracuse relies on it’s system and squeezing whatever iso talent of it’s guards/forwards to reach 20 wins and the tournament.

Our offense is not an offense. It’s us relying on Battle, Hughes, Oshae and Frank to combine for 70 points then berate their talent afterwards if that doesn’t happen.

Our defense relies on opponents to miss low percentage shots at a high volume. Mathematically sure, reality is this costs us 3 or so games a year due to teams just lighting us up (UNC and UVA). Honestly I think the zone just allows us to beat teams we should beat and pray to catch other teams on off nights.

This is all to make it in march where we may beat two or three teams that drop logs when they see the zone for the first time.

It’s a systematic result, not necessarily an effort.

Since Jaime Dixon left Pitt we are 5-1 against them.
BC has sucked every year since we joined the ACC. Us losing games to them is more on us than them.
Our schedule this year has been favorable and it’s not like we have many wins against ACC NCAA tournament teams.
BC beat Florida State and Louisville it is not like they are incapable of beating anyone. It is really important to beat the teams you are better than. This season we had high expectations and thought we would be in the top 10 nationally at some point but winning 11 games in conference is not nothing.

I had us going 9-9. Glad I was wrong.

I love how some fans discount our win over Duke because of their injuries, but at the same time claim this is a disappointing season while ignoring our injuries.
Nobody is discounting the Duke W, at least I'm not.

What injuries have we had besides Frank? Was that even a major injury?

Eh we made the tournament by the skin of our pouch last season, and I’ve been confident this year that we’re in since end of February. 10 wins is a sign we’re still more than competitive.

These posts that we’ve fallen to middle tier are a bit premature.

Haha, what would it take for you to believe we are mid-tier? We've finished 8th, 9th, 7th and 10th in the ACC the past 4, and anywhere from 6th-8th this season. That is the definition of the middle tier.

Nobody is discounting the Duke W, at least I'm not.

Nobody? Are you new here?

Howard Washington had a stroke. Yeah, Frank’s injury was major. He missed the first part of the season - including preseason practices - and hasn’t been the same player since he returned.

Haha, what would it take for you to believe we are mid-tier? We've finished 8th, 9th, 7th and 10th in the ACC the past 4, and anywhere from 6th-8th this season. That is the definition of the middle tier.
Probably not having made two final fours in the past 6 years. I think we have glaring issues but we’re not middle of the pack. Clemson’s middle of the pack.

Nobody? Are you new here?

Howard Washington had a stroke. Yeah, Frank’s injury was major. He missed the first part of the season - including preseason practices - and hasn’t been the same player since he returned.
So people think the Duke W is like beating BC then? Yeah, it wasn't over a full-strength Duke team, but it was in Cameron and with Zion healthy.

HW's stroke was scary. That and his return from the knee injury have been tough on him. But using our 5th guard as an injury excuse is insane. Frank's injury hurt him, that seems obvious, but he's not exactly a PG or high end player. We've struggled far beyond Frank Howard's play, which has mostly been bad for the 3 months he's been playing.

Probably not having made two final fours in the past 6 years. I think we have glaring issues but we’re not middle of the pack. Clemson’s middle of the pack.
I guess I look at the big picture instead of two great runs. One happened when we were in the Big East, one was a major surprise as a 10. Outside of that 4 game-run, how can anyone argue that we haven't been a middle of the pack program in the ACC? The numbers sure indicate that. It stinks, nobody wants to be where we are, but it is what it is.

So people think the Duke W is like beating BC then? Yeah, it wasn't over a full-strength Duke team, but it was in Cameron and with Zion healthy.

HW's stroke was scary. That and his return from the knee injury have been tough on him. But using our 5th guard as an injury excuse is insane. Frank's injury hurt him, that seems obvious, but he's not exactly a PG or high end player. We've struggled far beyond Frank Howard's play, which has mostly been bad for the 3 months he's been playing.
Like I said, Frank hasn't been the same player since he returned. He was terrific last season and was one of our most dependable players.

It's not insane. All of our PGs were injured during the preseason. That set the entire team back. And with Carey struggling, HW would give us the backup PG we're lacking right now.

I guess I look at the big picture instead of two great runs. One happened when we were in the Big East, one was a major surprise as a 10. Outside of that 4 game-run, how can anyone argue that we haven't been a middle of the pack program in the ACC? The numbers sure indicate that. It stinks, nobody wants to be where we are, but it is what it is.
You're not looking at the big picture if you're ignoring the two great runs.

You're not looking at the big picture if you're ignoring the two great runs.
If you're counting a FF run 7 seasons ago when we were in the BE as part of the big picture, our current status and our future, I don't know what to tell you. I look at how we've done in the ACC, how we've looked recently and our record in ACC play to show exactly where we currently stand in this league. It's middle of the pack. Hopefully it'll improve and quickly, but that doesn't change how we've performed in this league so far.

Looking at your big picture, where do you think this program currently stands in the ACC? What specific data or reasoning would back that up? I'm just trying to understand where you stand.

We played Duke twice, UNC and UVa which is 4 games against the top 3 teams. This is the exact same number of games Duke will play against the top 3 teams. Yes we were 1-3 in those games but their schedule against the top 3 teams is essentially the same as ours. Duke will most likely go 2-2 versus these teams.

carp_feed_bottom.jpg

bottom feeders.

Oh okay 10 conference wins doesn't mean much.

TCU is projected as a last 4 in with a 6-11 conference record
Please don't match us up against Dixon. That would suck.

Reality’s become that Syracuse relies on it’s system and squeezing whatever iso talent of it’s guards/forwards to reach 20 wins and the tournament.

Our offense is not an offense. It’s us relying on Battle, Hughes, Oshae and Frank to combine for 70 points then berate their talent afterwards if that doesn’t happen.

Our defense relies on opponents to miss low percentage shots at a high volume. Mathematically sure, reality is this costs us 3 or so games a year due to teams just lighting us up (UNC and UVA). Honestly I think the zone just allows us to beat teams we should beat and pray to catch other teams on off nights.

This is all to make it in march where we may beat two or three teams that drop logs when they see the zone for the first time.

It’s a systematic result, not necessarily an effort.
Well Crean and Izzo still haven't figured out how to attack the zone.
Roy boy finally got it and now UNC owns us.

while most teams spent 6 weeks prepping for the season ahead, syracuse had zero healthy point guards for the entire pre-season. carey was on the court for the opener but hadn't practiced prior to that.

frank's injury was not a tweak or a sprain, it was a serious ankle injury that required surgery. he has clearly not fully recovered even now.

If you're counting a FF run 7 seasons ago when we were in the BE as part of the big picture, our current status and our future, I don't know what to tell you. I look at how we've done in the ACC, how we've looked recently and our record in ACC play to show exactly where we currently stand in this league. It's middle of the pack. Hopefully it'll improve and quickly, but that doesn't change how we've performed in this league so far.

Looking at your big picture, where do you think this program currently stands in the ACC? What specific data or reasoning would back that up? I'm just trying to understand where you stand.
This is about you ignoring our success in order to fit your narrative. Your big picture continues to be incomplete.

As has been pointed out by others, most judge programs by decades. We’ve had a great decade overall. Only members of the Cherry Picker Club can state otherwise.

Since Jaime Dixon left Pitt we are 5-1 against them.
BC has sucked every year since we joined the ACC. Us losing games to them is more on us than them.
Our schedule this year has been favorable and it’s not like we have many wins against ACC NCAA tournament teams.
And yet, FSU and Lville both lost to BC and Pitt.

Back in December, the board was convinced that we'd finish with an overall losing record.

Yeah but by 1/15 we were back on track to win the ACC and get a high seed in NCAAT and were being unjustly excluded from the polls.

Picture in the DSM-5 next to the definition of bipolar is an SU fan.

while most teams spent 6 weeks prepping for the season ahead, syracuse had zero healthy point guards for the entire pre-season. carey was on the court for the opener but hadn't practiced prior to that.

frank's injury was not a tweak or a sprain, it was a serious ankle injury that required surgery. he has clearly not fully recovered even now.

With the amount of bitching about our center play an argument could be made that Sidibe’s knees have been our second most impactful injury this season.