Did anyone think Ennis would be this good? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did anyone think Ennis would be this good?

I didn't

He's playing great and is playing almost mistake free. On the downside, I don't think we have run a fast break yet this season. Even when he has a man advantage, he is cautious and seldom pushes the ball upcourt. We could use some easy baskets with this team.

In terms of lead guard aptitude, yes--100%. Anyone who paid attention to this kid's career / experiential background / watched his HS games could project that he was a special talent and would be a difference maker as soon as he suited up.

But I didn't expect him to be this good defensively.

He needs to get better defensively. Seldom has his hands up, can be a little casual closing out on shooters. This was probably our first really good defensive game of the year. I think the thing he did best on defense was work on preventing the entry pass, and of course he did a great job with the steals, but part of that was that they had no outside shooters, so we could cheat down on the low post players without too much worry of getting burned on the kick out.

He needs to get better defensively. Seldom has his hands up, can be a little casual closing out on shooters. This was probably our first really good defensive game of the year. I think the thing he did best on defense was work on preventing the entry pass, and of course he did a great job with the steals, but part of that was that they had no outside shooters, so we could cheat down on the low post players without too much worry of getting burned on the kick out.

Ennis looked very tired in the first half; I noticed that his hands were down (virtually never above his waist) for about six possessions in a row. More than usual.

I was all in after Canada, then began to fret after the first four games in the Dome. Maui made me a believer. I will second Trueblue's statement about the fast breaks. He often seems to pull up when it seems to me he should go dog go. He is cautious, but a good cautious. The fast breaks will come in time, I am certain.

It all looks so easy up in 309!

At first I thought he would be like the other 99.9 freshmen in the country not ready to come in and get by his man one on one and be forced to throw entry and perimeter passes because he lacked the athleticism. But, when I started to watch his highschool games on tv late in the year I started to feel he had a knack for getting by his guy when they were draped all over him. He didn't need to go around them like MCW did coming out of highschool, the main reason why mcw didn't play much as a fresh.

He just finds a way to go through them. He had the outside midrange and pullup game in highschool and a good secondgear. But, I don't think anyone could have antipated him looking like hes starting his senior year out there. Hes so relaxed, even in second gear.

Last edited:
I didn't expect him to score as easily as he has, or handle basically everything on the floor as well as he was. I honestly was thinking he'd give us 7 or 8 points a game and have some more growing pains than he's shown. He's making a respectable %age from 3 as well.

No need to break down his HS game and him consistently giving the biz to high level opponents since others have mentioned it. What I loved the most about what Tyler would bring to SU from the get go was maturity at the lead guard position. The kid is so cool, calm, and collective that I find myself never worried when he's handling the rock. He always has that "I got this under control" type of demeanor. He got off slower than I expected early on but I think most who knew about him coming in figured that he would eventually settle in and become the player that we're currently watching develop in front of our eyes. Please enjoy him because they don't make PG's like this as much anymore.

not this early, that's for sure

No need to break down his HS game and him consistently giving the biz to high level opponents since others have mentioned it. What I loved the most about what Tyler would bring to SU from the get go was maturity at the lead guard position. The kid is so cool, calm, and collective that I find myself never worried when he's handling the rock. He always has that "I got this under control" type of demeanor. He got off slower than I expected early on but I think most who knew about him coming in figured that he would eventually settle in and become the player that we're currently watching develop in front of our eyes. Please enjoy him because they don't make PG's like this as much anymore.
There's time he reminds me of Pearl (just plain cool, and the ability to handle the ball in traffic) . A little more consistent on the jumper and he is Tony Parker

I think the test here needs to be your first thought after his two turnovers tonight.

If you thought for a second "just a freshman error" I'm going to call you a liar.

If you said "what the heck! You know better!" then you are clearly expecting Ennis to play far better than any kind of Freshman, and quite likely have already started to have your expectations of him drastically changed since day 1.
Where it hit me that this guy was something special, he took over the Carleton game. The ball rarely left his hand, except for a shot, in the last 5 minutes, and he carried the team on his back.

There's time he reminds me of Pearl (just plain cool, and the ability to handle the ball in traffic) . A little more consistent on the jumper and he is Tony Parker
Andre Miller and Parker are good comparisons.

Recruiting board peeps, remember those threads and discussions last spring/summer about how we should go harder after Sheed Jordan instead of Tyler because he was ranked higher lol good times. SU staff---------->Telep, Daniels, Bossi, Meyer, and certain posters who pretend to be talent evaluators on their spare time.
render.jpeg

Last edited:
Recruiting board peeps, remember those threads and discussions last spring/summer about how we should go harder after Sheed Jordan instead of Tyler because he was ranked higher lol good times. SU staff---------->Telep, Daniels, Bossi, Meyer, and certain poster who pretend to be talent evaluators on their spare time.
View attachment 5848
Jer Bear has his crystal ball that's nearly never wrong.

Recruiting board peeps, remember those threads and discussions last spring/summer about how we should go harder after Sheed Jordan instead of Tyler because he was ranked higher lol good times. SU staff---------->Telep, Daniels, Bossi, Meyer, and certain poster who pretend to be talent evaluators on their spare time.
View attachment 5848
Booyakasha! Great point, especially that if Sheed was our only guy, we wouldn't even have a PG due to suspension. That and TE is a machine and no way would Jordan have controlled the ball, tempo and offense. Ennis trumps all thus far, inclusive of Hill, Harrison and Nigel.

Jerry loves him some tucky
I love how SU wasn't even in Kaleb's school list on his database and Jerry didn't even know that SU was recruiting him. All of a sudden the next day SU was the pick in the crystal ball lol. Jerry's sources=Cuse fans.:rolling:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom