Did Girard and Buddy just become more | Syracusefan.com

Did Girard and Buddy just become more

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
effective players, now that the 3 point line has been moved back?

effective players, now that the 3 point line has been moved back?
On offense or defense? Last year our opponents shot 32.5% against the three. This opens the court up more, so we really need a rim protector back there. No matter who we have playing the top of the zone this goes down at least a point to 31.5% Unless of course our guys aren't active. With more depth, it should be.

On offense, we will still need guys who can get to the rim. I'm guessing Eli and QC will be the key players. The top shooters will be as good from 22 as they were from 20.9. Everyone else will be more pedestrian. If we average 9 or 10 made threes a game, our record should be good.

wouldn't that depend on how well they shoot it from that distance in competition...something we have no stats on yet?

More effective? No.

Valuable to have two guys who can hit from that distance? Yes.

wouldn't that depend on how well they shoot it from that distance in competition...something we have no stats on yet?

That's why it's a worthwhile question. If we had the stats, it would be a pointless discussion.

Good shooters will still be good. I'd be surprised if their perentages dip any significant amount. We're probably looking at a fraction of a percentage point change for them.

Borderline shooters who shoot around 33% from deep are the ones who will be impacted the most. I think the change will have more of an effect on their percentages and, as a result; they'll be forced to shoot less or die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a big deal.

If Buddy continues his ACC form we will be in good shape in terms of 3 point shooting Eli is no slouch and a guy like Girard not having to be the 'best' 3 point shooter on the team takes a lot of pressure off him. (Think Buddy non conference last year.) Always having 2 elite 3 point shooters on the court is something we should prioritize.

I don't think shooters benefit. We saw a downturn in shooting the last time it was extended. I'm sure we'll see a similar dip, at least until adjustments are made. However, good shooters will still be good shooters, so Buddy should be ok. Not sure about Girard until I see him at this level.

I think PG's and slashers across the country should benefit slightly. Shooters will be extended out a little more, so you'd expect their defenders to be extended a bit too, which theoretically should open up driving lanes a bit more. However, if you don't have shooters, it won't matter.

They did this in the NIT the last two years and there was little statistical difference in attempts and percentages compared to the NCAA tournament. Much ado about nothing.

Examining the Effects of NIT Rule Changes: Extended 3-Point Line, Wider Lane - Stadium

I don’t think a greater than 1 percent drop in percentage is nothing ..

But these stats are also not applicable to a situation where teams play under the new parameters regularly instead of it being thrust upon them transiently .. we may very well see better team exploitation of the widened lane and more spread out D ..perhaps creating more mid range play

I believe it's only 9 inches further out. 19-9 vs 20-6. I don't think it's a big deal. Players shoot regularly from 25 feet nowadays.
Nine inches is kinda a big deal...
[Anyone? Anyone?]

But, the story says it was 20’ 9” and is going to 22’ 1.75”.

Last edited:
It is indeed a substantial change and it does indeed insure that an already effective and highly extended zone will be further immunized from the fluke can't miss from outside games that have occasionally done us in...Think Vermont.

22 feet, 1 3/4 inches
Seems like an odd distance in English measure. It equates to 6.75 meters, which is probably how the international rules specify it. Kind of odd that America hasn't gone metric after all these years.

I don’t think a greater than 1 percent drop in percentage is nothing ..

But these stats are also not applicable to a situation where teams play under the new parameters regularly instead of it being thrust upon them transiently .. we may very well see better team exploitation of the widened lane and more spread out D ..perhaps creating more mid range play

A 1% change means a difference of about 1 three point basket every five games.

A 1% change means a difference of about 1 three point basket every five games.

+/- 3 points in a game can mean a lot. See: last year’s PF vs. PA stats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom