Did Howard punch one of Jimmy's kids? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did Howard punch one of Jimmy's kids?

Was 2 plays in a row. Rushed three pointer (that Tyler bailed him out with a putback). Jb started screaming at him right after that. Then immediately lost his guy for rebound.

I wouldn't call it a rushed shot. It was in rhythm about 10 or 15 seconds into the shot clock and wide wide open. I'd have trouble faulting a guard, who showed the ability to hit that shot with consistency in high school, for firing away. I'm not sure there was a better play to be made there either.

Not going for the board was bad, and committing the foul after didn't help, but no way should that cost PT for practically the rest of a blowout game. He's a guard.

I've never been a fan of coaches dressing down players like that in front of the crowd, especially on TV. We all know players respond differently to it, and they all should and probably do have thick enough skin for it not to ruin their lives, but I've rarely seen it help the player. Theoretically, it will make them not want to do the thing that got them yelled at again, but telling the player not to do stupid stuff in a less demonstrative way is probably going to have the same impact, minus the public shaming.

I'm getting deeper into this than I care to, but it really just rubbed me the wrong way. Jim's been doing this for years though, and it seems to be working pretty well for him, so what do I know.

I just hope Howard has thick skin and can handle JB's thrashing. I sat right behind the SU bench at Cameron and Howard got a earful then too. It occurred shortly after Howard was inserted in the first half, when he soon afterwards committed a bad turnover. That caused a stoppage of play as it was the under 12 TV timeout. As Howard jogged over to the bench, JB singled him out and went off on him...F bombs and all! Howard was attempting to explain himself, and JB wanted no part of it. Howard persisted to explain what happened and positioned himself in a way that was somewhat blocking JB. JB starred at Howard (as if looks could kill) and uttered, "get the F out of my way!" Howard was consoled a bit afterwards by Red.

I just hope Howard has thick skin and can handle JB's thrashing. I sat right behind the SU bench at Cameron and Howard got a earful then too. It occurred shortly after Howard was inserted in the first half, when he soon afterwards committed a bad turnover. That caused a stoppage of play as it was the under 12 TV timeout. As Howard jogged over to the bench, JB singled him out and went off on him...F bombs and all! Howard was attempting to explain himself, and JB wanted no part of it. Howard persisted to explain what happened and positioned himself in a way that was somewhat blocking JB. JB starred at Howard (as if looks could kill) and uttered, "get the F out of my way!" Howard was consoled a bit afterwards by Red.

Whoa

He put Frank back in during garbage time. Meaningless.

I also thought it was a bad shot. Rushed. They were running their stuff patiently yet crisply prior to Frank's shot.

Cooney played well all game pretty much. He did give up a bad three to Beachem but he was great off the bounce. He's gonna force a couple naturally but he played a good game. Frank was bad in limited time.

Frank is playing well ahead of where Trevor was as a freshman...anyone remember that debacle? JB wouldn't even use his name at pressers. Cooney was referred to as, "what's his name?"

That's called getting a look at how the sausage is made.

I suspect if someone was in earshot of Coach K's interactions with his players, they would find he's usually not quoting from "The Little Engine That Could" either.

Brooky03 said:
I wouldn't call it a rushed shot. It was in rhythm about 10 or 15 seconds into the shot clock and wide wide open. I'd have trouble faulting a guard, who showed the ability to hit that shot with consistency in high school, for firing away. I'm not sure there was a better play to be made there either. Not going for the board was bad, and committing the foul after didn't help, but no way should that cost PT for practically the rest of a blowout game. He's a guard.

A- This isn't high school basketball
B- he is shooting awful in his limited playing time in college
C- that's not his role on this team. His inability to realize this is why he averages 1 minute a game.

he's now 1/12 shooting 3s
He hit a 3 pointer. I honestly do not remember him actually hitting one of those this year. Not like this is a jab at Howard. I honestly did not remember him hitting a 3 pointer. I love the kids PG skills, I couldn't honestly care less if he can't hit the 3 because he is a PG and it isn't necessary if your main objective is to run the team. He still needs to take them every now and again just to keep his man honest. Has to hit them at a better clip then 1/12. That's MCW territory.

We can agree to disagree on that one. Rushed in that it was early in the shot clock, if I recall. What's his 3 pt % again? He should be running the offense and not shooing in that situation. Jb used him to prove a point. It happens. I didn't see another mental lapse until Gs TO with four minutes left in the game.

He was so wide open. If he didn't take that shot, ND would know they didn't really have to defend him. I have no issues with that shot.

Was 2 plays in a row. Rushed three pointer (that Tyler bailed him out with a putback). Jb started screaming at him right after that. Then immediately lost his guy for rebound.

And then fouled on the and-one...not a great sequence...

He was so wide open. If he didn't take that shot, ND would know they didn't really have to defend him. I have no issues with that shot.
Plus we got the put back...

My guess is JB only gets that upset with a player if JB and the player have had a specific discussion about what is to be done, by the player, in that situation during practice. I'd bet that JB has instructed Howard, to immediately, dribble penetrate to the basket in that situation looking for a layup or a kick out to someone who can hit open 3s at a high percentage. Howard did the opposite of what he's been instructed to do. JB isn't the kind of person to let something like that go lightly.

Although, not sure how much time was left on the shot clock on that particular play, if there's 5 or less seconds, probably taking the shot is warranted.

After that, Howard made a couple other freshmen miscues and JB used him to make a point to everyone on the team. SU plays to win, not to go out there and play like a chump.

And then fouled on the and-one...not a great sequence...

That was a bad one. I hate when a player fouls but allows the guy to make the shot. Terrible error.

Well, I had just wanted to get a little discussion going with this thread and I think I've achieved that.

I'm guessing that JB expending that much energy on Howard means that JB understands that Frank has a role to play in the future with this team. That's a big positive in my mind.

That's called getting a look at how the sausage is made.

I suspect if someone was in earshot of Coach K's interactions with his players, they would find he's usually not quoting from "The Little Engine That Could" either.

I don't know about that, K not quoting from "The Little Engine That Could," for it's such an "amazing," absolutely "amazing" story. ;)

Frank is playing well ahead of where Trevor was as a freshman...anyone remember that debacle? JB wouldn't even use his name at pressers. Cooney was referred to as, "what's his name?"
And that was a redshirt sophomore. I completely forgot about that. It feels like Cooney has been playing 35+ mpg since coming out of the womb.

he doesnt want Howard shooting. Howard takes a 3 pointer.
then at that other end Howard stands and watches the ND player grab a rebound in front of him
then fouls the same guys' bunny giving them a 3 point play.

i thought the tirade was a bit overboard but this is why JB wins a lot of games and why most of his players develop into mentally tough kids who dont get rattled on the road or in big games when they're older.

You guys who want a coach that coddles kids. That'll be Hop and you've gotten a glimpse on how that's going to go.

And that was a redshirt sophomore. I completely forgot about that. It feels like Cooney has been playing 35+ mpg since coming out of the womb.

Yeah, it's funny how we forget. When Cooney came off the bench and scored 10 in the first half against Georgetown in the semi-finals, half of us were complaining that this savior had been Boeheimed and could've helped win some regular-season games that year.

then at that other end Howard stands and watches the ND player grab a rebound in front of him

i thought the tirade was a bit overboard but this is why JB wins a lot of games and why most of his players develop into mentally tough kids who dont get rattled on the road or in big game when they're older.

You guys who want a coach that coddles kids. That'll be Hop and you've gotten a glimpse on how that's going to go.

There's about a million miles of difference between coddling kids and what JB did (or Sean Miller did) last night.

By the way, do we have any actual words form JB that he doesn't want Howard shooting? Or is that all just supposition now?

There's about a million miles of difference between coddling kids and what JB did (or Sean Miller did) last night.

By the way, do we have any actual words form JB that he doesn't want Howard shooting? Or is that all just supposition now?

I've seen him say it in a presser, or maybe it was Roberson. Either way, JB only wants his shooters to shoot. TRob does not have a green light from 15 feet, you think Howard does from 3? JB knows what his stats are.

I've seen him say it in a presser, or maybe it was Roberson. Either way, JB only wants his shooters to shoot. TRob does not have a green light from 15 feet, you think Howard does from 3? JB knows what his stats are.

Just asking the question. I have a feeling you are correct, but I'd like to see JB say it.

i thought the tirade was a bit overboard but this is why JB wins a lot of games and why most of his players develop into mentally tough kids who dont get rattled on the road or in big games when they're older.

I don't think anybody is asking for Jim B to coddle the players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom