did JB give the keys to tyler? | Syracusefan.com

did JB give the keys to tyler?

CorduroyG

Hall of Fame
after the marlyand game jb said something like "tyler was more aggressive offensively tonite which we need him to be". i assume jb has told this to him. i think we're gonna see mr ennis look to be more of a scorer. if we wanna win the whole thing hes gotta be our best player, not cj.

That's kind of how it's looking. TE was clearly looking to score in the 2nd half vs Maryland.

Too bad he didnt give the keys to tyler in the Duke game cause everybody and their mother knew ball was going to CJ for last shot and despite an unbelievable bucket by CJ, Grant was wide open on the play for a dunk. But with between 12 and 15 seconds remaining he without looking for anyone else was passed to CJ for him to go one on one. Im sure that Boeheim told him that that was the play and Tyler was in the passenger seat.

after the marlyand game jb said something like "tyler was more aggressive offensively tonite which we need him to be". i assume jb has told this to him. i think we're gonna see mr ennis look to be more of a scorer. if we wanna win the whole thing hes gotta be our best player, not cj.

Believe he said "we asked him" to be more offensive minded. Question is, was that just because Grant was out of the game.

The exact quote from the post-game presser was, "Tyler, we asked to be more offensive minded and I think that was the key, really."

So the coaching staff has definitely told him to look to score more.

Too bad he didnt give the keys to tyler in the Duke game cause everybody and their mother knew ball was going to CJ for last shot and despite an unbelievable bucket by CJ, Grant was wide open on the play for a dunk. But with between 12 and 15 seconds remaining he without looking for anyone else was passed to CJ for him to go one on one. Im sure that Boeheim told him that that was the play and Tyler was in the passenger seat.

any end of game situation like that i want tyler getting into the lane. i dont like isolating cj. it should have worked against duke but that was mostly just bad defense by duke, they let him drive left.

The pass to Grant was a riskier play. He would have had to pass over/around his own defender and not miss to the right at all as Hood closed quickly on Grant. Besides, CJ scored. It wasn't Ennis' fault the ref made a bad call.

The pass to Grant was a riskier play. He would have had to pass over/around his own defender and not miss to the right at all as Hood closed quickly on Grant. Besides, CJ scored. It wasn't Ennis' fault the ref made a bad call.

Who do you pass to?
upload_2014-2-24_11-59-8-png.8340

He didn't give him the keys. He always had them. JB just told him to turn the ignition damn it and get moving!

I disagree that Ennis has to be our best scorer.

Ennis isn't going to pull up over you from three and needs to drive giving the double time to adjust to get into a scoring position.
The advantage of Cooney is he can catch and shoot anywhere on the floor. Fair he will pull up over you before dribbling. Grant he attacks the low post(first half of the season from the high more). Rak he will catch and shoot a isolation hook over you, and Gbinije is starting to knock down a spot up three every game (it could be 2-3 with the right play calls.) We need Ennis to run that offense from the three point line.

I agree that its a good thing if Ennis can take over the scoring but depending on it could be trouble some games.
Go back to a game like Michigan last year. They were able to really slow down Mike in the lane with a good double triple team. He couldn't get a good shot off. We really needed Southerland or a center to step up and aid triche and fair that night not mike. Maybe that would have then opened the lane for mike. If Ennis averaged just under 3 threes a game, and could pull up from the elbow before the double forms alittle more I would have no problem with him being our first scoring option every night.

Last edited:
Ennis is not going to become our main scorer this year. Cooney has already taken more shots and hit more than Tyler. He would have to up his shooting by over 50% to match CJ.

I got scared for a minute.

I thought this was going to be another Kevin Drew / Desko situation. :eek:

Tyler has played well this year obviously but I've noticed 2-3 times per game where he misses a wide open cutter or shooter. I love that he is more aggressive but wish his head was up more.

Ennis reminds me of the full throttle "run and gun" guards that were a dime a dozen in the NBA in the 70's and 80's. Anyone who thinks he slows down the game here should be institutionalized from day 1 !!!

That's the curious dichotomy of being a good point guard: you must first be able to score. Because if you can't, they play the pass while you waste the whole shot clock trying to get it to someone else. I quite like the kid, but he spends an inordinate amount of time in east-west mode. I'm glad to see him look to score more. This team needs him to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom