did JB give the keys to tyler? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

did JB give the keys to tyler?

He's had the keys all along. He finally took the car out of neutral and shifted it into drive.
I think he's had the keys, the car's been in drive and his foot was on the gas, but just barely.

Boeheim has just slid his own foot over and pressed down on the accelerator and said "No, I mean like this!"

Who do you pass to?
upload_2014-2-24_11-59-8-png.8340
It's very easy to look at a snapshot and ask that question. The game isn't played in a snapshot, however. I've watched the replay of this probably 100 times. There are a lot of things happening in the :01 that Grant broke open that aren't evident from the snapshot alone. For instance, Ennis had just completed a cross-over to his left hand in this screenshot. When Grant broke (14.7 secs), Tyler's body was angled toward the SU bench with the ball in his right hand and his defender directly between he and Grant. Grant is also covered by the other Duke defender who was between JG and the hoop. What this means is that the ball was on the floor moving to his left hand at the moment that he would have needed to pass to Grant. In this pic, the ball is still coming up into his left hand and Grant's man is starting to move to pick him up, which took 1.5 steps to close the gap. He was covered at 13.5 secs. Ennis also makes the pass to CJ basically in one motion as the ball comes to his left hand.

I still maintain that the play worked, except for the bad call. Had JG actually been higher up the lane, say one step closer to the elbow, CJ goes uncontested to the hoop, or he gets fouled in an obvious manner by a jumping defender.

So, while this screenshot makes it seem like an obvious choice, it wasn't so obvious in real time, and the way JG has been shooting FTs lately, had he gotten fouled on the floor, I'm not sure he makes them. It wasn't an SU decision that cost us this game at the end.

for a bunch of time after fair got his third, we had keita, g and roberson as the frontline. cooney couldn't do anything. who else is gonna score? i almost wonder if jb had that frontline in for an extended time to force tyler to think offensively.

CJ has final four experience and leadership experience.

We don't need Tyler to take over as our main scoring threat.

CJ and Tyler can share it.

Tyler may be clutch and one of the most exciting players in recent history, but I still trust CJ Fair most in a big game situation.

It's very easy to look at a snapshot and ask that question. The game isn't played in a snapshot, however. I've watched the replay of this probably 100 times. There are a lot of things happening in the :01 that Grant broke open that aren't evident from the snapshot alone. For instance, Ennis had just completed a cross-over to his left hand in this screenshot. When Grant broke (14.7 secs), Tyler's body was angled toward the SU bench with the ball in his right hand and his defender directly between he and Grant. Grant is also covered by the other Duke defender who was between JG and the hoop. What this means is that the ball was on the floor moving to his left hand at the moment that he would have needed to pass to Grant. In this pic, the ball is still coming up into his left hand and Grant's man is starting to move to pick him up, which took 1.5 steps to close the gap. He was covered at 13.5 secs. Ennis also makes the pass to CJ basically in one motion as the ball comes to his left hand.

I still maintain that the play worked, except for the bad call. Had JG actually been higher up the lane, say one step closer to the elbow, CJ goes uncontested to the hoop, or he gets fouled in an obvious manner by a jumping defender.

So, while this screenshot makes it seem like an obvious choice, it wasn't so obvious in real time, and the way JG has been shooting FTs lately, had he gotten fouled on the floor, I'm not sure he makes them. It wasn't an SU decision that cost us this game at the end.

Bill I'll bet you a dollar that one of us is right.

I disagree that Ennis has to be our best scorer.

Ennis isn't going to pull up over you from three and needs to drive giving the double time to adjust to get into a scoring position.
The advantage of Cooney is he can catch and shoot anywhere on the floor. Fair he will pull up over you before dribbling. Grant he attacks the low post(first half of the season from the high more). Rak he will catch and shoot a isolation hook over you, and Gbinije is starting to knock down a spot up three every game (it could be 2-3 with the right play calls.) We need Ennis to run that offense from the three point line.

I agree that its a good thing if Ennis can take over the scoring but depending on it could be trouble some games.
Go back to a game like Michigan last year. They were able to really slow down Mike in the lane with a good double triple team. He couldn't get a good shot off. We really needed Southerland or a center to step up and aid triche and fair that night not mike. Maybe that would have then opened the lane for mike. If Ennis averaged just under 3 threes a game, and could pull up from the elbow before the double forms alittle more I would have no problem with him being our first scoring option every night.

I really enjoyed the wing pick and roll Ennis ran with Grant that got him an easy dunk. The spacing was perfect and they executed for an easy two. With the way teams have been hedging hard and not allowing Ennis to turn the corner running the pick and roll with grant sets up for easier scoring opportunities. I'm surprised that Christmas hasn't benefited more from this, he just needs to find the open spot once he slips or rolls. AO was really one of the better centers to find the opening on the roll for easy hoops, would love some of that from RAK.

I thought G had some more opportunities against Maryland to get some jumpers off of the staggered screens they were setting in the second half, I believe they ran that play for Triche a lot last year. He received the ball in very good shooting position up top, but I think missing a few early made him think twice about shooting it.

The plays they have been running have been well scouted considering its February and everyone knows what they like doing, but I would like to see a few more slips on screens or Cooney back doors so teams cant just over play and switch so easily. Grant scored I believe against Maryland early off an alteration to a play where he popped throwing a different wrinkle into the play.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed the wing pick and roll Ennis ran with Grant that got him an easy dunk. The spacing was perfect and they executed for an easy two. With the way teams have been hedging hard and not allowing Ennis to turn the corner running the pick and roll with grant sets up for easier scoring opportunities. I'm surprised that Christmas has benefited more from this, he just needs to find the open spot once he slips or rolls. AO was really one of the better centers to find the opening on the roll for easy hoops, would love some of that from RAK.

I thought G has some more opportunities against Maryland to get some jumpers off of the staggered screens they were setting in the second half, I believe they ran that play for Triche a lot last year. He received the ball in very good shooting position up top, but I think missing a few early made him think twice about shooting it.

The plays they have been running have been well scouted considering its February and everyone knows what they like doing, but I would like to see a few more slips on screens or Cooney back doors so teams cant just over play and switch so easily. Grant scored I believe against Maryland early off an alteration to a play where he popped throwing a different wrinkle into the play.

The play that we really need to start looking for is that when our bigs are setting screens on the baseline and wings for Cooney, their defenders are hedging/cheating up to deny the ball getting to Cooney coming off the screen. If we can have the spacing set up correctly, the big should be able to dive right to the hoop for an easy layup/dunk. It'll force teams to stop cheating up to deny Cooney, otherwise we get an easy basket.

Who do you pass to?
upload_2014-2-24_11-59-8-png.8340
Honestly, you take a still in about 2 more seconds, the player that is the most open is Cooney. Hood dives down to grant in about 1 second making that pass very difficult if not impossible because Ennis isnt quite ready to pass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom