Did other programs fans criticize their Legendary Coaches? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Did other programs fans criticize their Legendary Coaches?

What like .00001% of our fanbase?

That is like using as a source in reporting some people say and then say your agenda.

Some people say Jim Boeheim should have been fired in 2005.

Okay well those some people were and still are morons.

What has transpired with this program is a clear steady decline in the regular season. We are 74-68 in ACC play the lasf 8 years.

JB has a portion of the fanbase that will accept anything he says. When he knows how to spin.
We haven’t played a conference game at the Dome as a ranked team since March 4, 2014.

The 8 year anniversary is coming up next week.

We haven’t won a conference game as a ranked team at home since February 15, 2014.

That anniversary already passed.

Fans aren’t screaming at clouds like those morons in 2005,2007,2008.

You do have to admit that we have more than our fair share of morons who follow the program. Morons who demanded that JB should be fired simply because he scratched his nose during a press conference once.

You remember the fable about the boy who cried wolf?

Nobody is disputing that things could have gone better the past few years. But when we have fans who have been pushing the "Fire JB" button every single day for the past 30 years, it's easy to tune them out.

JB is one of the most important citizens in the history of the City of Syracuse. His contributions are immeasurable. The road up to the Dome should be renamed "Jim Boeheim Way" as soon as possible.

But it's time. Nothing lasts forever. And that's OK.
Very well said. I think a lot of people, myself included, had visions of JB riding off into the sunset on top. But that doesn't happen very often and it's becoming pretty apparent it's not going to happen with JB. I guess I've been mentally prepared for SU basketball without JB for awhile now. Not many coaches go for 45 years.

You do have to admit that we have more than our fair share of morons who follow the program. Morons who demanded that JB should be fired simply because he scratched his nose during a press conference once.

Nobody is disputing that things could have gone better the past few years. But when we have fans who have been pushing the "Fire JB" button every single day for the past 30 years, it's easy to tune them out.
There were a couple that complained a lot even from 08-14. I think you guys did a good job running them off. Some for reasons that may not have been basketball.

To say or think he hasn't lost a step is just not true. When I was a student back in the 70's, Jb would get in his Pontiac and hit the road recruiting hard. He doesn't do that anymore. He doesn't go anywhere during the regular season. He once did. And the guys that we are recruiting against, are doing it now. And it shows. There is a reason we don't get top end talent anymore.
There are more convincing reasons why we lose recruiting battles rather than 'coach has lost it.'. We once were The Beast of the East. Now we are the least of the SE. All zone all the time does not work for recruiting when you are not ranked. We lost gravitas and our facilities are no longer superior. Most important of all, without rivals we have lost National exposure. The ACC is a tough nut for a NE team to crack.

There are more convincing reasons why we lose recruiting battles rather than 'coach has lost it.'. We once were The Beast of the East. Now we are the least of the SE. All zone all the time does not work for recruiting when you are not ranked. We lost gravitas and our facilities are no longer superior. Most important of all, without rivals we have lost National exposure.
STOP BLAMING CONFERENCE AFFILIATION.

It is NOT the reason half our team transferred in the off-season.

It was enough of our fanbase that that's the first time I posted "Following a legend". I still remember coming home from the 2008 NIT loss to UMASS, after we had a 24 point lead, decided to not even read this board until the next season because the Boeheim bashers were going to rule it.

Then came 2009-14.
We were still getting talent back then though. I don’t recall being particularly worried.

We had Flynn, Greene, Devendorf, Harris. All top recruits. 2008 season was ruined by Devendorf and Rautins both tearing their ACLs.

Yes there are some that have never had anything good to say and I've tuned them out for quite awhile. But now it's a lot of people who are usually pretty fair with their thoughts who are voicing frustration.

There are more convincing reasons why we lose recruiting battles rather than 'coach has lost it.'. We once were The Beast of the East. Now we are the least of the SE. All zone all the time does not work for recruiting when you are not ranked. We lost gravitas and our facilities are no longer superior. Most important of all, without rivals we have lost National exposure. The ACC is a tough nut for a NE team to crack.
This take is amazing.
Just amazing.
The ACC isn’t why we can’t recruit.
The Big East we left wasn’t just a Northeast league.

We still play Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Louisville
We switched PC for BC
Villanova for Virginia
We have played St. John’s 4 times since we left.
Georgetown 7 times.

Who cares we don’t play Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, West Virginia, South Florida, Cincinnati.

This take is amazing.
Just amazing.
The ACC isn’t why we can’t recruit.
The Big East we left wasn’t just a Northeast league.

We still play Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Louisville
We switched PC for BC
Villanova for Virginia
We have played St. John’s 4 times since we left.
Georgetown 7 times.

Who cares we don’t play Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, West Virginia, South Florida, Cincinnati.
It's become the new sanctions for that guy.

We've had 2 top ten and 3 top 25 recruiting classes since joining the ACC and on average we have out recruited Virginia. So while I believe recruiting could be better, we also have a retention problem.

The good players we get we haven't kept. Last offseason being the best example and JB did little to offset those departures.

To say or think he hasn't lost a step is just not true. When I was a student back in the 70's, Jb would get in his Pontiac and hit the road recruiting hard. He doesn't do that anymore. He doesn't go anywhere during the regular season. He once did. And the guys that we are recruiting against, are doing it now. And it shows. There is a reason we don't get top end talent anymore.

That's where I land, too.

JB has been the coach for my entire life. I'm greatly appreciative of ALL of the joy he's brought to my life, as a die hard Syracuse basketball fan.

But the program has slipped a notch on his watch, because he can't grind the way he used to [or doesn't want to]. And I look forward to change, because I'm tired of 12, 13, and 14 loss seasons.

Both of those things can be true at the same time.

Truths (no snark/sarcasm):
He can't/won't grind recruiting anymore.
He's lost grasp of what a winning high-major roster needs to consist of.

Two things that he was a master of for decades, and not that long ago.

If you can't/won't see that and acknowledge it... you need to keep looking.

I remember hearing about Dean Smith taking heat from UNC fans here and there over the years. It happens everywhere.

If you want to see hate boil over from fans against even a Hall of Fame Coach, look no future than the SEC!

Coach Boeheim made our program and I respect and appreciate all Jim and Juli have done for the program and the community!!!

“For everything there is a season” and the program has dropped from it’s well deserved national status, even with the infusion of ACC TV revenue and Athletic Department support’

Make what you will of that!

I remember last winter/spring on the recruiting board, everyone was commenting on how much time JB was spending on the road. Watching the kids we got and watching kids we didn’t. Some people were even posting pics of him at some of the events. Sometimes it was JB and GMac, sometimes JB and Red and sometimes all the coaches. I think this last year at least he was putting in the work.

yeah he adjusts and tweaks the rosters based on the previous season..but he has kept missing on those tweaks for like 8 years now...he really thought this team was gonna be GOOD. it begs the question why he keeps missassesing things? yeah part of it is missing some big time recruits...i think if bazley, for example, had actually played for su that season...the team woulda been a force and right back to being ranked...and then woulda possibly used that momentum to get better recruits in subsequent seasons...

there has been some bad luck involved...the sanctions were crippling...unexpected early departures are a new thng that has thrown a wrench into his tried an true formula and he hasnt quite gotten it right since the landscape in ncaabb has shifted so much...(theres a reason roy williams and k are retiring about now) and then he has chosen to ride with some questionable players ...hes loyal to a fault lately especially...part of me wonders if he played up the family angle more and more so it would seem normal for his sons to be featured...idk...

its not just this season...its been a long time now where the team was relevant on his watch nationally

I cant say I want him fired...but it does kinda wear down the enjoyment after a long long stretch of mediocrity...that doesnt seem to have an end in sight.

at the end of the day...Ive followed the team since the 80s and it has been a hell of a ride...so...im not gojng to say JB shouldnt have his choice of how it all ends...

i kinda look at it like...he had his "retirement gift" of coaching his sons...and starting next season...the standards are gonna be much higher for me

the mediocrity needs to end pronto

We were still getting talent back then though. I don’t recall being particularly worried.

We had Flynn, Greene, Devendorf, Harris. All top recruits. 2008 season was ruined by Devendorf and Rautins both tearing their ACLs.
Rautins injury was probably a blessing in disguise in the sense that if he played in 2008 we wouldn’t have had him in 2010. Losing Devo was a killer.

That's where I land, too.

JB has been the coach for my entire life. I'm greatly appreciative of ALL of the joy he's brought to my life, as a die hard Syracuse basketball fan.

But the program has slipped a notch on his watch, because he can't grind the way he used to [or doesn't want to]. And I look forward to change, because I'm tired of 12, 13, and 14 loss seasons.

Both of those things can be true at the same time.
Truth, but I think a lot of fans still hold out hope for our five (and possibly six) man recruiting class coming in. If a healthy Jesse and Frank both return, we are all set in the middle. If Cole and JG3 both come back and hopefully an improved Benny as well, that's not too bad of a foundation along with Symir. It wouldn't hurt to pound the portal for a backcourt and a frontcourt guy. All of a sudden, best-case scenario, we could have as many as twelve guys not counting any transfers in or out.

The mixed feelings among SU fans about JB are kind of amazing when you think about all he’s accomplished.

The guy couldn’t be anymore a “Cuse” guy than Jimmy is. From Lyons, NY less than an hour from campus, was a player at SU, has coached SU for nearly 50 years, 6th All Time in coaching wins (4th if you count the 101 wins taken away AND all at SU), 2nd All Time in Division 1 wins, won a National Championship, runner up two other times, 35 NCAA Tournament appearances, has brought some fantastically exciting players to SU like Coleman, Douglas, Melo, Rautins (and many, many others).

Does SU even have a noteworthy program without all that JB has done on the Hill? Without the excitement that JB was creating in the Louie & Bouie era do we get the most unique arena in college sports?

JB isn’t perfect, no one is. But JB is SU basketball and we should never forget that we probably don’t have anything close to the program we all love ❤️ without JB.
There is a thread on a Patriots board that I visit titled "Has Belichick lost it?".

I'm not going out on too much of a limb to suggest that Bill Belichick has accomplished more than Jim Boeheim. And yet that thread -- started 2 1/2 years removed from his SIXTH championship -- exists.

So yeah, JB is not alone as a legendary coach in being criticized by fans.

I think most reasonable people understand that Syracuse basketball is what it is because of Jim. There's no reason why our hoops program isn't the equivalent of Seton Hall, or Providence, or Boston College, other than the fact that JB built it so much better.

But I also think that most reasonable people admit that we haven't been the Syracuse of yore for several years running now. And it doesn't seem like a major turnaround to top 10-20 status is looming.

And let's be real, who still coaches at 77? It's incredibly unusual for a transition to not have occurred by now, and that is entirely of Jim's doing. He could have rode off gloriously into the sunset after the Final 4 in 2016, never to be critiqued again. He didn't.

Nobody should be allowed to rest on their laurels, regardless of how amazing those laurels are.
8 seasons of mediocrity is not "OK".
Building a program and being the face of that program is not a license to dismantle what you built.
NOBODY is above criticism. Period.

That GT game defined what we now have. I didn't find it a thrilling or exciting OT win. It was a grind-it-out W vs. a mediocre team. Ugly basketball that all most fans could see positive was "happy for Sid".
This is JB's hand-picked team. I'm not getting down on the players. That said, I want SU to recruit athletes and play an exciting brand of basketball again. I watch games now with a detachment I never thought possible, and like many stopped watching JB's pressers long ago.
I applaud the SuperFans riding to the end with JB and supporting the program with unbridled optimism.
Not nearly as many of you as there used to be -and that's the point.

Amen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom