Did SU go balls to the wall after Kevin Huerter... | Syracusefan.com

Did SU go balls to the wall after Kevin Huerter...

orangecuse

Hall of Fame
Or is just convenient now to say, blame the "sanctions" for him not wearing orange today? I'll admit that I don't follow recruiting to a T, just somewhat. I remember an article written in the Post Standard mid to late winter Kevin's senior year (I believe) about 3 relatively local kids that were decent Upstate players, one of them being Huerter. The article (from what I recall) was pondering whether SU was recruiting any of them, with Huerter being the most likely, if at all SU was doing so.

I also remember that SU, after showing interest, wanted Huerter to prep. But was it really do to the scholly dilemma, or did it have more to do with what they thought about him at that specific time? Meaning, that he could improve upon his game, work on his body and very slender frame, etc., and that a year of prep would be beneficial for both he and SU. Especially, if SU was pursuing others more aggressively. From my understanding as well, he 'blew up' afterwards. Additionally, Shenendehowa is Class AA ball, so I'm not sure the level of competition was all that stellar either, but I'm speculating here. Maybe, someone who followed him and other's SU was recruiting at the time could chime in...along with being 100% transparent.

Some of these other threads are bring up his name quite a bit relative to the 'sanctions' argument and its alleged monumental effect. Even with Huerter though, it wouldn't have solved/resolved our point/lead guard issue, since Ennis' departure as Kevin is a 2G for the most part.

He's a great 3 point shooter but he's not good on defense. Like really really not good according to Maryland fans.

I would like him on the team for future years but don't know where he'd fit this year. He wouldn't play over Tyus. He isn't a PG (neither is Frank) and he'd be a liability at SF on defense.

He's a great 3 point shooter but he's not good on defense. Like really really not good according to Maryland fans.

I would like him on the team for future years but don't know where he'd fit this year. He wouldn't play over Tyus. He isn't a PG (neither is Frank) and he'd be a liability at SF on defense.

For someone who stuck up for Battles efficiency on offense I don’t agree with this at all.

The advanced metrics don’t back up that he’s bad on defense. He does a lot more than score and would lead our team in Win shares and he would have played the back line here over Battle. He rebounds a lot better and blocks nearly a shot a game.

Last edited:
It's not supposedly. We wanted him. he wanted us. We didn't have a ship to give him and wanted him to go prep a year. He wanted to go to college and chose Maryland. A short time later, we got a ship back.

THIS. Exactly.

IF Huerter had held off for a few weeks in accepting the MD offer, we could have offered him the scholarship we got back from the NCAA, and then - who knows?

Sanctions are supposed to hurt the program.
They did. This is yet another example.

Now, let’s move on and accept what is, since we cannot change the past.

I remember JB saying there were no scholarships available for him, but they wanted him.

Kevin Huerter, who could have been Orange, drops 23 for Maryland in homecoming

From the linked article:

<<Huerter also said he didn't agree with the premise that playing in Syracuse would have been a sure-thing if the Orange had another scholarship, only that the Orange would have been another enticing option.

"I don't know if that's fair (to assume)," Huerter said. "Obviously it's the closest place. I didn't go down the same road I went down with others. I don't think it would have changed anything.">>

He could be one of the classic transfers if the new transfer rule goes into affect.

For someone that’s not a PG Frank is still 3rd in the conference in assists and he’s not dumping the ball down to Bagley. He also leads in steals.

Last edited:
You are dense.
We asked him to prep BECAUSE we didn’t have a scholarship available at that time for that year.

You're dense if you really believe if a player wanted to come here and we wanted them that it wouldn't happen.

I vaguely remember hearing we got the scholarship back after Malachi declared and it was too late.

From the linked article:

<<Huerter also said he didn't agree with the premise that playing in Syracuse would have been a sure-thing if the Orange had another scholarship, only that the Orange would have been another enticing option.

"I don't know if that's fair (to assume)," Huerter said. "Obviously it's the closest place. I didn't go down the same road I went down with others. I don't think it would have changed anything.">>
What would you expect him to say. Gee, I know I am at Maryland but if Syracuse had a ship I wouldn't have gone there? No one talks like that. Gee, if I would have known she would have said yes, I would have asked her to marry me instead of my wife.

What would you expect him to say. Gee, I know I am at Maryland but if Syracuse had a ship I wouldn't have gone there? No one talks like that. Gee, if I would have known she would have said yes, I would have asked her to marry me instead of my wife.
The answer is always NO, if you don’t ask.

You guys can't have it both ways. Can't say we didn't have a scholarship then say he didn't come because he didn't want to prep.

If we wanted him we would've had him.

But that's literally what happened. Due to the sanctions and Syracuse not having a scholarship, they asked him to do a prep year of when they'd offer him. His father said no to the idea and they committed to Maryland shortly after.

Yeah, you're right, that must be it. I don't trust the kid at all now.

For someone who stuck up for Battles efficiency on offense I don’t agree with this at all.

The advanced metrics don’t back up that he’s bad on defense. He adoes a lot more than score and would lead our team in Win shares and he would have played the back line here over Battle. He rebounds a lot better and blocks nearly a shot a game.

I haven't watched him other than our game. I just took note that the Maryland fans on the national board did not like him a whole lot. His offensive stats are great, so maybe they're hard to impress or maybe the ones on the board were just jerks. But seemingly the whole game, even though he was on fire, the Maryland fans were expecting him to screw up, especially on D. Would that be different here? Maybe, probably.

For someone that’s not a PG Frank is still 3rd in the conference in assists and he’s not dumping the ball down to Bagley. He also leads in steals.

Amen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom