Dillon starting? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dillon starting?

So when do we see them live?

When are they working out this spring? COVID is still rampant. If it continues to spike, who knows when we're practicing.

Is our OL going to be all All Americans next year? Of course not.

We need to get as many reps as possible for these young guys because we don't know if we'll be playing next week if there is a COVID outbreak.

Take what you can get now.
Why do we need to see them live? What does that accomplish? They've practiced for a whole season but they won't have spring practice? That doesn't make sense.

No lol, if Tommy where healthy he would get the start.
Giving the state of the program and where we are at, he should get the start for all he's done.
I'm not sure why so many folks are against this?
What do we learn from our Freshman QBs with the shaky potatoes oline we keep running out?
What does it really hurt to give Rex the opening series as a tip of the hat for what he's done for SU for 5 years?
End of the day it's a classy move that we can make due to injuries.
Rex has already started and played entire games this season. Having him play the opening series and then benching him is less classy. Dino was hired to win games and get players ready for next season.

Rex has already started and played entire games this season. Having him play the opening series and then benching him is less classy. Dino was hired to win games and get players ready for next season.
How'd that work out for Morgan?

Doesn’t matter who we have QB we are not winning the next two, so we can throw that out the door.
Im sure we with see both Rex and Tex the next two games.

If a coach doesn't play someone because he is concerned that he might get hurt then there is no need for him to be coaching. College players take a chance of getting hurt every play no matter who is around them.
Putting kids in positions to get killed is a great way to lose out on recruits and transfers

Do we know that Rex is not returning? Do we know that he wouldn’t still be #2 next year?

Last edited:

Not even remotely true. Giving seniors a token start on senior day is a time honored tradition. It also can be used as a positive recruiting pitch (Our season wasn't going well, but we wanted to honor our seniors on Senior Day, because O'Hana etc.) Obviously that's much more minor than we won 10 games, but it can still matter.

Obviously if Tommy was healthy and had started all season, you wouldn't force Rex into the game, but if we were up (or down) by a lot, Dino would have tried to get Rex (and any other senior) some PT on their day.

Speaking from a game perspective, it might also be beneficial for Tex, a freshman with basically no game experience, a series of watching, and evaluating the opponent looks on the tablets/sheets on the sideline, so he has a bit more idea what exactly to expect from the defense. Obviously it's not a big advantage, but it can be helpful, otherwise teams wouldn't bother trying to analyze things and you wouldn't see backups looking at them as well.

I expect Tex to get some reps for sure. But I would like to see Rex get some as well. Either way it seems like Tex is getting the nod so it doesn't matter what I think anyways.

I don't know for certain. However, they were treating him as such in the tent on the sideline. It was like a DWI stop. Trainer had a finger or pen up and going through the eye test to follow it back and forth. If he's still missing practice they're obviously taking some serious precautions and clearly the injury was him hitting the back of his head on the turf.
he may have more than one injury

I suspect that if Rex was healthy enough to start, he would. It seems we’re down to the “break glass in case of emergency” stage of his recovery.

If a coach doesn't play someone because he is concerned that he might get hurt then there is no need for him to be coaching. College players take a chance of getting hurt every play no matter who is around them.
If a coach is unable to recognize or allowed to determine who is physically and mentally capable of protecting himself in a violent sport, there is no need for him to be coaching.

Other than satifying your curiosity, what is the benefit of starting the 4th string freshman QB that was on the scout team until mid season, with no summer to get familiar with his teammates, limted comtact with coaches, and an abbreviated preseason?

So, maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like that's not the kind of article Bailey would have written if he was still at the paper.

Putting kids in positions to get killed is a great way to lose out on recruits and transfers
Again, if that is the situation any kid you put back there has the same risk.

If a coach is unable to recognize or allowed to determine who is physically and mentally capable of protecting himself in a violent sport, there is no need for him to be coaching.

Other than satifying your curiosity, what is the benefit of starting the 4th string freshman QB that was on the scout team until mid season, with no summer to get familiar with his teammates, limted comtact with coaches, and an abbreviated preseason?
Everything you just stated is an assumption. Since you are not part of practice you don't know if Tex is ready or not. Dino played Morgan who has the same amout of time as Tex. Do you know how they split time in practice or just assuming?

Again, if that is the situation any kid you put back there has the same risk.
How is it the same risk for everyone? Each kid has a different mental process and understanding of the game/offense. Going into a game a coaching staff needs to have an idea of how a QB is going to react to live bullets. Each player reacts differently. We can't control players like video games and expect them to play a particular way. QB's decision making can not only jeoparidize their health but also the health of players on the team.

Again we all want to see Dillon go into a game and tear it up so we can anounce him as the savior of Cuse football. We all are mad with Dino and the offense but everything he does is not wrong. Giving Dillon safe reps is the right coaching thing to do. I will tell you what is not good coaching. I have a problem with the staff not installing plays that protect the QB's more or keep the defense honest. I just see a vanilla quick pass game offense. We have to do a better job of getting yards on the early downs. At some point of the game the QB is going to need to throw a pass that takes longer to develop. That puts too much pressure on a struggling O line. Thats the issue Im having.

Last edited:
The magical solution is that Tommy trots out there and slings the ball all over the field, making our receivers look awesome! (Wakes from dream and suffers reality) :confused:

Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds? I only wish that orthopedics and pain could be analyzed just by looking...You sir, may be on to a new medical field. Dr. Phats magical emporium for pain and diagnosis.

Are you the team doctor? I never saw or heard Babers say Servais was injured. Just a lot of message board conjecture by people who have no idea.

Truly if he's so hurt he can't get out of a pass pro stance to block a guy then maybe he should be moved to guard or center. Vet or Tisdale aren't that bad at tackle.

If he's indeed that hurt then I applaud him he's a warrior. But we can't have our QBs taking shots like that.

Last edited:
Nah ... the injury thing is just board speak. He's ok enough to chip someone.
One thing I’m pretty sure of is very few people on this board know the extent of individual players’ injuries and how those injuries may be affecting their performances. Because of our inexperience, many of our players, including some of our top vets, have been physically exposed and have paid the price for it. Example: QB stares down receiver, holding the ball before finally throwing it, and receiver gets hammered with no chance to protect himself.
That said, the results are what they are, and the coaches and players own it.

Are you the team doctor? I never saw or heard Babers say Servais was injured. Just a lot of message board conjecture by people who have no idea.

Truly if he's so hurt he can't get out of a pass pro stance to block a guy then maybe he should be moved to guard or center. Vet or Tisdale aren't that bad at tackle.

If he's indeed that hurt then I applaud him he's a warrior. But we can't have our QBs taking shots like that.
I think the phrase he likes is "banged up." I've heard numerous OL say the last day that you don't hurt is the day before the start of Spring practice. They are all warriors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom