Dino 202X | Syracusefan.com

Dino 202X

Only way he fixes this is to recruit better. This is less about X's and O's and more about not having enough talent.

Some (many) will disagree, but Syracuse isn't being out-coached, it just doesn't have the talent to compete in the ACC this year. And unfortunately next year looks to be worse

We lack talent but decent coaching doesn’t make Locksley, Taggart, Addazio look like Belichick.
A young Vince Lombardi or Don Shula could be coaching Syracuse this year, it wouldn't matter. You can't coach up what you don't have. You can have the best game-plan in the world, if the talent isn't there to execute it, then there is nothing you can do

A young Vince Lombardi or Don Shula could be coaching Syracuse this year, it wouldn't matter. You can't coach up what you don't have. You can have the best game-plan in the world, if the talent isn't there to execute it, then there is nothing you can do

I believe this.

I also believe he needs to account for why he doesn’t have those players as well.Thats a big part of the gig.

I believe this.

I also believe he needs to account for why he doesn’t have those players as well.Thats a big part of the gig.

Something that might help is improving the living quarters. Said a few years ago that there are a number of G5 schools with much better living quarters for their players.

Last edited:
If what Syracuse football's success is based upon is the ability of the coach to recruit, then we need another coach. These same posters were saying the "system" was going to give Syracuse an advantage, that clearly is a huge fail.

Only way he fixes this is to recruit better. This is less about X's and O's and more about not having enough talent.

Some (many) will disagree, but Syracuse isn't being out-coached, it just doesn't have the talent to compete in the ACC this year. And unfortunately next year looks to be worse
I disagree. Its not a talent issue. The team is poorly coached. Talent is always going to be an issue unless you are an elite school.

We lost by 31 at home to a BC who lost to Kansas at home. We lost to Maryland who has gotten blown out by all Bug Ten teams not named Rutgers. <insert more examples if needed>. We return a ton of starters from a 10 win team that was a play away from beating Clemson who won the NC by dominating Alabama. I understand the raw talent needs to get better, but is it really responsible for this massive swing?

We lost by 31 at home to a BC who lost to Kansas at home. We lost to Maryland who has gotten blown out by all Bug Ten teams not named Rutgers. <insert more examples if needed>. We return a ton of starters from a 10 win team that was a play away from beating Clemson who won the NC by dominating Alabama. I understand the raw talent needs to get better, but is it really responsible for this massive swing?

To answer your last question.
After some early season losses I think the team was so up on a high from last year they gave up...maybe gave up isn’t the best example but they didn’t put forth the effort and. Again losing the amount of talent from last year and with injuries this year it really hurt. Also our leadership last year with dungey, strick, custis, Martin and a couple others was more than we expected.

I guarantee you we would be more competitive. MD, Pitt, FSU, BC were all over at half time. The talent gap does not warrant any of those. Spit happens sometimes but not every time.

To answer your last question.
After some early season losses I think the team was so up on a high from last year they gave up...maybe gave up isn’t the best example but they didn’t put forth the effort and. Again losing the amount of talent from last year and with injuries this year it really hurt. Also our leadership last year with dungey, strick, custis, Martin and a couple others was more than we expected.

That’s on coaching to hold kids accountable. It is obvious that we don’t hold anyone accountable. Penalties, who cares. Stoping your feet like a spoiled brat, who cares.

Better recruiting (we need to be a top 30-35 school every year) and better playcalling (devito threw well yesterday so we have him running on 3rd and goal from the 8).

Dinos speeches wont make a ~55 ranked class mighty

that 3rd and 8 is still killing me

That’s when the game got out of hand too

It’s finally coming out that behind the scenes that several players didn’t put the time in over the summer. It’s pretty obvious who they might be. Several players have regressed and appear slower. Whigham and Bailey mentioned this on their pidcast. Shows a lack of player leadership and players thinking they are better than they are.

Pro football is 80% coaching, 20% talent.
The Patriots are one of the least talented teams in the league. They never get the elite talent unless of injury concerns like Gronk. However the coaching staff gives them all assignments to do their job and because football talent between 1-32 isn’t that large the coaching advantage makes the difference.

College football is 80% talent, 20% coaching. Our talent is subpar to start off but this staff has failed this season and that is how you get multiple stinkers in a year.
This staff can do well but massive changes are needed.
Coaching staff has to demand discipline you can’t lack talent and be stupid on the field.
We need to improve that. Discipline has been an issue for every coaching staff since P.
Talent is improving but it’s not like we are swimming on a huge recruiting class.
Redshirting every OL/DL should be a priority.

I don’t get how college coaching staff’s can’t pickup weakneesses. The TE in college football is neglected. Teams that use them can exploit defenses. Dino needs to make change but rebuilding isn’t a long term project.
If we fix the OL and bring in some talent at QB we can win 6-7 games next year.

that 3rd and 8 is still killing me

That’s when the game got out of hand too

I don’t think it was designed. DeVito saw the pressure coming up the gut and decided best to try to run.

I hope everyone hurts right now and they remember how they feeling every lifting session, every spring practice. Nothing is earned. Back at zero.

As for Dino, he needs to make changes to the staff.

I don’t know why people feel compelled to make these binary statements. It’s both. We need better talent, notably on the lines and at LB. AND we need better coaching. The whole program is in utter disarray. Dino owns all of it, he recruits the talents and hires the coaches.

10-3 is pretty hard to do if you can't coach. I'm on the recruiting side. Some assistants need to go, prioritize recruiting when replacing
Agree. We didn’t give up 500 yards rushing due to coaching. Dillon and his OL overpowered our DL and LBs. Wasn’t anything fancy about it — defensive schemes weren’t the issue. Dillon is 240 lbs and fast, his line pushed defenders aside to create lanes. We need bigger hippos; we need an OL built like BC’s; we need more toughness and size at LB.

Agree. We didn’t give up 500 yards rushing due to coaching. Dillon and his OL overpowered our DL and LBs. Wasn’t anything fancy about it — defensive schemes weren’t the issue. Dillon is 240 lbs and fast, his line pushed defenders aside to create lanes. We need bigger hippos; we need an OL built like BC’s; we need more toughness and size at LB.

We need talent but when the other team runs the same play over and over you need to make a different call on D. If you overplay that play, they won’t get a 10 yard run every time. Yes it makes you more vulnerable to other plays but Addazio is old school he won’t change the play until you prove you can stop it.

We need talent but when the other team runs the same play over and over you need to make a different call on D. If you overplay that play, they won’t get a 10 yard run every time. Yes it makes you more vulnerable to other plays but Addazio is old school he won’t change the play until you prove you can stop it.
Not sure what your plan is. You over play to the left, they run it to the right. They run off tackle or they sweep. The simple fact is that BC was winning the physical battles in the lines and Dillon was overpowering the LBs. They did not need to get fancy because old school was working. You get the safeties overplaying the run, you have an open receiver behind the safeties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom