Dino and late game timeouts | Syracusefan.com

Dino and late game timeouts

Eric15

Living Legend
Every coach has their own philosophy and habits. It's clear after watching Dino for seven seasons that if he has a lead and the other team is driving deep in our territory with under two minutes remaining, he doesn't like using his timeouts to preserve one last offensive drive in case the other team scores. Against Clemson in 2018, that strategy killed us. Against Purdue, it worked out. I think not using timeouts there will hurt you more often than it will help you.

We were the beneficiary of some significant luck. Those two meathead unsportsmanlike conduct penalties by Purdue allowed us to get about 35-40 yards of free field position. If that doesn't happen, our chances of winning that game are much lower. Even the announcers were suggesting that we should use timeouts when there was about 1:30 left and the clock was running.

Obviously, we won the game and all is well. But going forward this season, I really hope Dino will consider expanding our margin of error by using timeouts more strategically.

We were actually fortunate they scored on second down. I wanted to use the timeouts too. You can control the clock with play design on offense - which is what we did,….you can’t on defense.

Last edited:
The only thing that could give him a pass is if he wanted to keep 1 TO to setup a FG. Meaning he planned to use a TO on 2nd and another on 3rd.

The problem with that thinking is, you don’t need a TO if the clock stops from an incomplete or out of bounds. So might as well take one after 1st down.

It worked out in the end but it was like hitting on 18 and pulling a 3.

Yeah, that play they scored we were just getting in 50/50 zone and bit lucky they scored and even though the clock ran a bit, they didn't milk it. But it was decision time then. If they got positive yards from there on out then the TO would've had to been taken. The real decision would've been if we would've gotten a sack, then that would be a real tough call.

Another puzzling move to me was not using the middle of the field the entire final drive when we had 3 timeouts. It's much easier to complete the pass and accumulate YAC when you don't have to try to squeeze it in between the defender and out of bounds. The defensive penalties really helped and refs could have swallowed their whistles there.

Another puzzling move to me was not using the middle of the field the entire final drive when we had 3 timeouts. It's much easier to complete the pass and accumulate YAC when you don't have to try to squeeze it in between the defender and out of bounds. The defensive penalties really helped and refs could have swallowed their whistles there.

We threw the first pass to the middle of the field, but it was in the middle of a traffic jam. Wasn't like Purdue was giving it to us.

We threw the first pass to the middle of the field, but it was in the middle of a traffic jam. Wasn't like Purdue was giving it to us.
Yeah, I thought we had issues over the middle all day

Maybe I am off mark here but I was under the impression that Anae and Beck have been given the reins here directionally if the offense has the ball end of qrtr/end of game. If true, Anae, Dino and Beck are on the headset and they are probably triangulating on time out needs or not. If Anae needs a timeout, he seems like a guy who can make the call. Aren't they? I don't think Dino is operating in a vacuum there, maybe I am wrong though.

Maybe I am off mark here but I was under the impression that Anae and Beck have been given the reins here directionally if the offense has the ball end of qrtr/end of game. If true, Anae, Dino and Beck are on the headset and they are probably triangulating on time out needs or not. If Anae needs a timeout, he seems like a guy who can make the call. Aren't they? I don't think Dino is operating in a vacuum there, maybe I am wrong though.
Possibly but the timeouts should have been used on Defense... Maybe out of Anae's perview?

We ran patterns to the middle but they were covered but they didnt look to be the first option. The sideline patterns were. Maybe the guys forgot they had the timeouts but i doubt that

Possibly but the timeouts should have been used on Defense... Maybe out of Anae's perview?
Not when he needs time on the clock for the offense. Turns out there was enough time though.

Yeah was talking about when we have the ball. Though once Purdue got to a certain point on their final scoring drive, I am sure they were discussing on the headset. Gotta believe White, Anae and Dino have discussed approach depending on scenarios.

We were actually fortunate they scored on second down. I wanted to use the timeouts too. You can control the clock with play design on offense - which is what we did,….you can’t on defense.
My thinking of why we didn’t call the to’s was because we were up 3 at that point so we didn’t want to call one to give their offense more time to gather themselves and increase chance they get in the endzone. We appeared ok w them settling for tying field goal but didn’t want to give up 7. I assumed if it was a tie game at that point (instead of 3 pt game) we certainly use our TO’s.

It obviously didn’t work out the way we wanted as far as them not scoring the touchdown and I personally agree w a lot here thinking that calling the to’s is prob the best odds play.

Every coach has their own philosophy and habits. It's clear after watching Dino for seven seasons that if he has a lead and the other team is driving deep in our territory with under two minutes remaining, he doesn't like using his timeouts to preserve one last offensive drive in case the other team scores. Against Clemson in 2018, that strategy killed us. Against Purdue, it worked out. I think not using timeouts there will hurt you more often than it will help you.

We were the beneficiary of some significant luck. Those two meathead unsportsmanlike conduct penalties by Purdue allowed us to get about 35-40 yards of free field position. If that doesn't happen, our chances of winning that game are much lower. Even the announcers were suggesting that we should use timeouts when there was about 1:30 left and the clock was running.

Obviously, we won the game and all is well. But going forward this season, I really hope Dino will consider expanding our margin of error by using timeouts more strategically.
What did the Purdue coaching staff do?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom