Dino and the new La Familia | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the new La Familia

kcsu

Living Legend
Time to discuss some scenarios as to what is happening on the Hill with Dino and the football program. To begin with, this is all speculation based on spending with my time this week with a good friend whose family is a very big supporter of SU athletics and has been since his grandfather's days.

My understanding is that there have been discussions with Dino about an extension. Suffice to say that it isn't done and most likely will not be done until next year. The key here is that he believes the administration really likes Dino and wants to extend him.

Beck is considered by all a home run hire. I was told that Dr. Bob leaving was mutual, and that Beck was slated to replace him either this year or next. In Short Bob was a short timer and according to my friend he and Dino got along Ok, Yest they had their differences, but it was nothing out of the ordinary and he didn't think it was the reason that Bob left.

He also said that long, according to the football guys might be as brilliant a coach as George was who many will attest is considered one of if not the best minds to ever coach at SU. He didn't have any idea on if long was in for more than a few years, but he said that he has already made a great impression on everyone associated with the program.

His thoughts not mine are that Beck and Long have been given the authority to shape the staff as they see fit. We didn't talk about Nick or why the others were leaving other than he believes it has to do with the changes at the OC and DC spots more than anything else.

I just wanted to share what I was told but someone in the know. I personally feel as if after speaking with him this is a good thing. We now have arguably two very good coordinators and in Rocky a superstar. From the BOT on down the line all of the movers and shakers at SU are excited for the future.

Go Orange!

Time to discuss some scenarios as to what is happening on the Hill with Dino and the football program. To begin with, this is all speculation based on spending with my time this week with a good friend whose family is a very big supporter of SU athletics and has been since his grandfather's days.

My understanding is that there have been discussions with Dino about an extension. Suffice to say that it isn't done and most likely will not be done until next year. The key here is that he believes the administration really likes Dino and wants to extend him.

Beck is considered by all a home run hire. I was told that Dr. Bob leaving was mutual, and that Beck was slated to replace him either this year or next. In Short Bob was a short timer and according to my friend he and Dino got along Ok, Yest they had their differences, but it was nothing out of the ordinary and he didn't think it was the reason that Bob left.

He also said that long, according to the football guys might be as brilliant a coach as George was who many will attest is considered one of if not the best minds to ever coach at SU. He didn't have any idea on if long was in for more than a few years, but he said that he has already made a great impression on everyone associated with the program.

His thoughts not mine are that Beck and Long have been given the authority to shape the staff as they see fit. We didn't talk about Nick or why the others were leaving other than he believes it has to do with the changes at the OC and DC spots more than anything else.

I just wanted to share what I was told but someone in the know. I personally feel as if after speaking with him this is a good thing. We now have arguably two very good coordinators and in Rocky a superstar. From the BOT on down the line all of the movers and shakers at SU are excited for the future.

Go Orange!
Like I said weeks ago, at worst net/net with the coordinators.

position coaches come and go.

I don’t know how some people on this board function in the real world. Change is inevitable, people come and go from jobs constantly.

Like I said weeks ago, at worst net/net with the coordinators.

position coaches come and go.

I don’t know how some people on this board function in the real world. Change is inevitable, people come and go from jobs constantly.

Well this is a message board not the real world. :)

This is what a message board is for to make comments about the changes happening within the program good or bad and have discussions based on those comments. Change always happens but that doesn't mean change is good and it doesn't mean change will be bad which is why we discuss it and have fun discussing it on a message board.

Go Orange!
I hope you’re correct. It does make some sense. I said during the season I thought Schmidt was getting a free pass. The penalties and run blocking was pretty bad. I too believe we have two top notch coordinators. Our recruiting has to keep getting better, but coaching up our players is the most important. We need to upgrade all over the board. With the portal, making connections everywhere might be the most important aspect of college football.

Just my opinion. There is no way Beck and Long are in control of shaping the staff. That would be cutting Dino off at the knees. If he doesn’t have full authority to hire his own staff he may as well get a head start to the unemployment line.
Again, just my opinion. Not to discredit anything your friend has stated.

Just my opinion. There is no way Beck and Long are in control of shaping the staff. That would be cutting Dino off at the knees. If he doesn’t have full authority to hire his own staff he may as well get a head start to the unemployment line.
IF Long and Beck have been given that responsibility, the decision to do so comes from Babers.

Go Orange!
FWIW, and it might not be worth much, this is mostly in line with the stuff I hear. Thanks for sharing kcsu

I don't know seems to me like ADJW shaped last year's staff.

Thank you for sharing.

The goal for this program is simple: win 6-8 games a year and occasionally (once a decade) have a special season (10+ wins).

The problem is that I don’t see this as a reachable goal unless you are regularly bringing in a top 40 recruiting class.

I would focus resources around Beck and if he has a great season, position him as the next HC.

IF Long and Beck have been given that responsibility, the decision to do so comes from Babers.
I agree with that. And maybe Dino has asked for their input on new hires. I just don’t think the head coach gives autonomy to his coordinators to hire staff. If anything it’s a collective effort as it should be. But ultimately Dino makes the final say.

Based on what? Remember when, in 2021, Navy’s AD fired the OC without consulting the HC? It got talked about because it doesn’t ever happen. No head coach would submit to their AD making subordinate hires.

Yes it does seem that way. I have always felt like Anae and Beck had Wildhacks handprints all over them. I’m hoping that’s not the case because it sets a bad precedent. Even though I think they were wonderful hires.

Yes it does seem that way. I have always felt like Anae and Beck had Wildhacks handprints all over them. I’m hoping that’s not the case because it sets a bad precedent. Even though I think they were wonderful hires.
It’s a board myth. Getting rid of Gilbert was obvious to everyone. After that Bronco Mendenhall called Dino and said hire Anae, who in turn said hire Beck.

So after making the decision to resign his head-coaching position at Virginia, he called Dino Babers with a recommendation he ought to take a hard look at an offensive coordinator now available for hire.

When it became clear there was room for Anae to bring in another offensive assistant, Jason Beck got looped into the deal as quarterbacks coach, giving Anae his right-hand man and Syracuse the brain trust of one of the most productive offenses in the ACC.

Thank you for sharing.

The goal for this program is simple: win 6-8 games a year and occasionally (once a decade) have a special season (10+ wins).

The problem is that I don’t see this as a reachable goal unless you are regularly bringing in a top 40 recruiting class.

I would focus resources around Beck and if he has a great season, position him as the next HC.

You don't think you can win 6-8 games a year because a bunch of goof balls on the internet with alterior motives don't rate our classes high enough? I don't think if we are ranked 38th versus 57th there is much of a difference due to someones opinion outside the program. I think the portal has basically rendered HS recruiting as only part of the equation as well.

If Beck has a great season we will most like go to a bowl and Dino gets an extension and Beck moves on to bigger and better at some point I don't understand why many feel like Dino could get fired and then Beck would be hired as the next HC?, most internal hires are because the HC moves on to bigger and better. I highly doubt Rocky's defense will be the reason we don't win next year either. I just don't see this happening unless Dino retires in 3-4 years and does some TV which he would be great at but that's a lifetime in the coaching profession

Like Wisconsin thinking their DC would replace their fired coach? Very rare

You don't think you can win 6-8 games a year because a bunch of goof balls on the internet with alterior motives don't rate our classes high enough? I don't think if we are ranked 38th versus 57th there is much of a difference due to someones opinion outside the program. I think the portal has basically rendered HS recruiting as only part of the equation as well.

If Beck has a great season we will most like go to a bowl and Dino gets an extension and Beck moves on to bigger and better at some point I don't understand why many feel like Dino could get fired and then Beck would be hired as the next HC?, most internal hires are because the HC moves on to bigger and better. I highly doubt Rocky's defense will be the reason we don't win next year either. I just don't see this happening unless Dino retires in 3-4 years and does some TV which he would be great at but that's a lifetime in the coaching profession

Like Wisconsin thinking their DC would replace their fired coach? Very rare
6-7 wins is attainable in Syracuse. Now, consistently more? I am a diehard fan but I think that is always going to be a stretch. Average 6-7 wins with an occasional down year and an occasional 9/10 win year is the goal. And I'm fine if that's the goal of the AD's office too.

We have a coach who is a great ambassador for the school, never causes any issues, is respected by players, and does everything right. Look around the universe of coaches -- very few take care of all those other boxes consistently well. Now we all have complaints about game management and everything else. But stability and producing great men/leaders (and some NFL'ers) with solid results is nothing to scoff at for a northern football program.

Appreciate the thoughtful post and insight kcsu

it seemed from day 1 Anae was the stabilizer of the system and Beck was the longer term guy.. I dont think that Dino could have just hired Beck as the OC with the changes the AD wanted to see.. After the yr went as it did I think the AD had less concern about it and Anae probably knew he was in Becks way at some point anyway.. Either he got the OC job or he left.

I think there is huge room in the run game and its needed for the offense to get better.. We just dont know if talent is holding it back. I think we have a B level passing game that lacks a real play maker and QB but the scheme is there.. We are running at a C- running game.. Get that to a B level and we can compete..

I completely trust my friend's information to be spot on. Of course, Dino and JW are going to sign off on any hire, but Dino will not be telling either OC who to hire or retain.

Also, an OC should be able to pick some of his guys too. And Long would expect it at this point.

Agreed Beck wants to be successful running the offense and build his resume as well. They want staff who are on the same page and that is understandable.

It’s a board myth. Getting rid of Gilbert was obvious to everyone. After that Bronco Mendenhall called Dino and said hire Anae, who in turn said hire Beck.

Wow I did not know that bit of information. Thanks for sharing. Shows me for being presumptuous.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom