Dino and the Portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the Portal

Fellas there's many things we can critique Dino on. This is not one of them. He is not against the portal. lol. They are actively recruiting transfers. Brought some in and lost on a lot of them. He is not going to be all giddy when talking about the portal to the media. You dont want to openly be excited to replace the players you have now. Sends a bad message.

Last edited:
The kids need to do their work on it too. You only get one shot at this. (I mean, you can keep transferring but you have to sit out and who's even paying attention to you at that point).

I think it's all so new, and football coaches aren't always the greatest adaptors of change. Especially those who have been around for awhile.

I don't think Dino wants any unreasonable expectations set, but I bet they're really pouring over what's in that portal.
I'm sure that they are doing their due diligence. But portal prospects are like any job searcher. There are reasons they are in the portal/looking for a job. You always want to do a thorough investigation of why they are looking.

Our starting QB and one of our best OL so why not a fan? Is it because of his players entering the portal?
Maybe it’s because he doesn’t like it? He can not like what it’s doing to college football but still use it. Why is everyone on here so black and white. Dino doesn’t like losing, so why doesn’t he just win football games?

He better at least wrap his head around using it, because we need a serious influx of talent all over the place next year.

Maybe it’s because he doesn’t like it? He can not like what it’s doing to college football but still use it. Why is everyone on here so black and white. Dino doesn’t like losing, so why doesn’t he just win football games?
One would think a coach would be a fan of an immediate influx of talent to a depleted roster that won one game last year.

Dino doesn’t seem to have any sense of urgency. It’s always three years this three years that. Never we need to win. And win now. He’s always baking a cake

One would think a coach would be a fan of an immediate influx of talent to a depleted roster that won one game last year.

Dino doesn’t seem to have any sense of urgency. It’s always three years this three years that. Never we need to win. And win now. He’s always baking a cake
First off, once again you don’t HAVE to be a fan to take advantage of something. Maybe he doesn’t like NIL because it hurts his teams competitiveness compared to premier programs, but that doesn’t mean he can’t push the kids to take advantage of it.

Second, when did he last say three years? The said it day one and never said it again after 2018 happened.

Why is he so against the portal? There’s a number of reasons why players will enter. Coaching changes, wanting to be closer to home, Coach not completely upfront when signing, etc

What he’s doing in recruiting isn’t exactly super successful so why not pound the portal? Is it an ego thing with him? I don’t understand…

I don't think Coach Babers is against the portal. In fact, he seems to have used the portal fairly efficiently.

• Garrett Shrader; most would think he's been a solid contributor this season, starter with 612 snaps.
  • Chris Bleich; starter plagued with injuries. Played in 433 snaps in 8 games.
  • DeVaughn Cooper; played in all 11 games, offense and special teams. 232 snaps at WR. Who saw him coming?
  • Cody Shear; took a flyer on the kid. He left in less than a week. Not due to lack of effort by the coaches.
  • Cody Roscoe; solid contributor, part-time starter, defense (558 snaps) and special teams (142 snaps).
  • Jason Simmons; part-time starter. Missed a game and half due to injuries. 576 snaps.

Five guys who have made major contributions to the teams this year. Not depth guys, but contributors. 83.3% success rate. I'll take it.

I view Babers' words as cautionary because "players are there for a reason". with five soldid contributors in the program from the portal, Babers and staff aren't afraid of the portal. They recognize the type of screening that is needed for a portal transfer to be productive and disruptive. But, fans need to realize the portal isn't like going to the grocery store and picking out items as you walk up and down the aisle.

There are literally thousands of players in the portal. The list grows everyday, and yet there aren't many who appear to be attractive to my eye.

If you think Cuse is missing someone in the portal, who would you recommend for the program? You cant take a player like Walker at MSU after the fact. Put your name on it.

First off, once again you don’t HAVE to be a fan to take advantage of something. Maybe he doesn’t like NIL because it hurts his teams competitiveness compared to premier programs, but that doesn’t mean he can’t push the kids to take advantage of it.

Second, when did he last say three years? The said it day one and never said it again after 2018 happened.
Didn’t he say the D was going to really good in a couple of years?

But regardless we won one game ACC game last year and this year two games. So he is one game better than last year. I’m sorry but beating Albany and Ohio isn’t really improvement. Liberty is a toss up

I don't think Coach Babers is against the portal. In fact, he seems to have used the portal fairly efficiently.

• Garrett Shrader; most would think he's been a solid contributor this season, starter with 612 snaps.
  • Chris Bleich; starter plagued with injuries. Played in 433 snaps in 8 games.
  • DeVaughn Cooper; played in all 11 games, offense and special teams. 232 snaps at WR. Who saw him coming?
  • Cody Shear; took a flyer on the kid. He left in less than a week. Not due to lack of effort by the coaches.
  • Cody Roscoe; solid contributor, part-time starter, defense (558 snaps) and special teams (142 snaps).
  • Jason Simmons; part-time starter. Missed a game and half due to injuries. 576 snaps.

Five guys who have made major contributions to the teams this year. Not depth guys, but contributors. 83.3% success rate. I'll take it.

I view Babers' words as cautionary because "players are there for a reason". with five soldid contributors in the program from the portal, Babers and staff aren't afraid of the portal. They recognize the type of screening that is needed for a portal transfer to be productive and disruptive. But, fans need to realize the portal isn't like going to the grocery store and picking out items as you walk up and down the aisle.

There are literally thousands of players in the portal. The list grows everyday, and yet there aren't many who appear to be attractive to my eye.

If you think Cuse is missing someone in the portal, who would you recommend for the program? You cant take a player like Walker at MSU after the fact. Put your name on it.
Michigan State went from two wins last year to #7 in the country this year with 20 portal players. You can’t tell me they got all the good players and no one is left

Rutgers took 11 transfer in 2020, MSU took 14 transfers this season, SMU routinely takes 10-15 under Sunny Dykes. DB & Co do not recruit well and are not exactly strong when it comes to developing those recruits.

We have a horrendous WR group and the only transfer is cooper who is a walkon. MSU had a terrible CB room and they went and got 5 CB's this season.

Every year we should be taking a minimum of 10 transfers. Db says guys are in for a reason and half the time it's they can't get PT at their current school. These same guys wouldn't have returned our calls in HS would now come and improve.

Db needs to toss his ego aside and make changes as it is apparent to everyone but him that his system and methods DO NOT WORK.

He's not against it.

What do people think we can get out of the portal? Most of the kids in the portal are buried on the benches of their respective schools. It's not that easy to find a kid you're going to plug and play with.

I see the portal as adding depth and special teams guys. I think we've been a little spoiled with the few portal kids we've brought in.

I wonder what the overall success rate with portal kids contributions are.
I’ll take all the buried 2’s and 3’s from Ohio st, Penn St, ND, etc. that would be a big step up in talent for us.

I'm sure that they are doing their due diligence. But portal prospects are like any job searcher. There are reasons they are in the portal/looking for a job. You always want to do a thorough investigation of why they are looking.

True, but it's a whole different ball game now. Transfers used to have more of a story than just "I didn't start and that's not fair". The process is too easy so it is creating a new form of recruiting.

I wonder if we have enough staff dedicated to it. Support staff I mean, not dedicated coaches (which we know are capped).

True, but it's a whole different ball game now. Transfers used to have more of a story than just "I didn't start and that's not fair". The process is too easy so it is creating a new form of recruiting.

I wonder if we have enough staff dedicated to it. Support staff I mean, not dedicated coaches (which we know are capped).
Good point. This is really why SU needs to be all in with trying to bring in as many portal players as they lose and certainly any that will upgrade areas where they fell short in recruiting high school players.

Michigan State went from two wins last year to #7 in the country this year with 20 portal players. You can’t tell me they got all the good players and no one is left
I know we all like to bring up Michigan st. I commend Tucker for it but he had some quality players to begin with. Walker's success is making people think every transfer they got has made a huge impact. A transfer like Walker would make every coaching staff look like geniuses.

All these schools are actively recruiting the portal. That's what transferring has become. If SU struggles recruiting HS kids than they will struggle bringing in quality transfers.

Last edited:

The only real thing different about an undergraduate transfer, besides the sheer number in the portal, is that a first time transferee doesn't have to sit out a year. The total number of scholarship players you can have on a team is still 85 so unless you have a mass exodus the size of the class is still limited.

I know we all like to bring up Michigan st. I commend Tucker for it but he had some quality players to begin with. Walker's success is making people think every transfer they got has made a huge impact. A transfer like Walker would make every coaching staff look like geniuses.
I understand Michigan St and Walker isn’t the norm, who would think a backup(or RB by committee) from Wake would go there and be a star? Probably not many haha

But I’m willing to bet there were players in the portal that could have helped us this year or have a year in system to help next. I’m not saying push players out but use the spots if we have them

But there are many reasons people look for new jobs. Closer to family, no room for growth, toxic work environment, etc. I don’t think one should hold it against someone for wanting a change.

I’m not saying push players out but use the spots if we have them
Havent they done this? They brought some in last year and in previous years. I know they went after quality Wr's as well and couldnt land them. I dont know why some assume they arent targeting transfers.

Well 3 out of the current top 15 are Syracuse transfers. One site rates transfers. Taj is now a 4 star and #3 overall, Canton-Arku #14, and Morris #15

Well 3 out of the current top 15 are Syracuse transfers. One site rates transfers. Taj is now a 4 star and #3 overall, Canton-Arku #14, and Morris #15
If that’s right it says more to me about the (fairly low) quality of this year’s portal pool so far than anything else. And where is Tommy DeVito? And what kind of stats did Mr Morris put up for SU?

If that’s right it says more to me about the (fairly low) quality of this year’s portal pool so far than anything else. And where is Tommy DeVito? And what kind of stats did Mr Morris put up for SU?
Have to also consider that players on good teams won't enter the portal until their seasons are concluded.

Just referring to his quote today “I'm not sure I want to have a mercenary-type program. Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program."

And he has mentioned in the past “the players are in there for a reason”. Yes various reasons. He just seems so against it while others are building solid teams from it
It seemed to me like he was saying he thought the program would ultimately be better if they can have 4 year guys that develop throughout their career versus trying to find short term guys that they need to try to get up to speed quickly to make an impact. Clearly we've seen a number of transfers work out well, but, in the larger scheme of things, he's probably right. This assumes, of course, that we bring in adequate talent out of high school.