Dino and the Portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Dino and the Portal

It seemed to me like he was saying he thought the program would ultimately be better if they can have 4 year guys that develop throughout their career versus trying to find short term guys that they need to try to get up to speed quickly to make an impact. Clearly we've seen a number of transfers work out well, but, in the larger scheme of things, he's probably right. This assumes, of course, that we bring in adequate talent out of high school.
Which is true for every program. People are so frustrated with the loosing that they tend to think everything Dino says is wrong.

It seemed to me like he was saying he thought the program would ultimately be better if they can have 4 year guys that develop throughout their career versus trying to find short term guys that they need to try to get up to speed quickly to make an impact. Clearly we've seen a number of transfers work out well, but, in the larger scheme of things, he's probably right. This assumes, of course, that we bring in adequate talent out of high school.
I think that is fair as to what Dino prefers. In normal times, and if we were making bowl games at least every other season, had our share of younger talent in the ranks, and were doing well in this cycle of high school recruiting,

Dino needs a copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Portal. If they can build planets then the Cuse staff should be able to build a winning team.

Just referring to his quote today “I'm not sure I want to have a mercenary-type program. Some of the better teams are the ones having kids stay in the program."

And he has mentioned in the past “the players are in there for a reason”. Yes various reasons. He just seems so against it while others are building solid teams from it
Well, he better rethink it or he may not have a program! 10 out and 10 currently signed plus seniors leaving and any other player who decides to take the portal. the depth he worked to build will be gone.

I do not think DB is adverse to going into the portal. I do think they try to keep it under wraps until a kid commits and signs financial paperwork.
My bigger concern is that players just do not want to transfer to SU. Whether it’s the coach on the hot seat, feeling they cannot get to the nfl, continual loosing program etc.
All they have to look at transfer that came and got playing time and improved. Maybe it’s not about playing time.
It will be real challenging for DB to win next year with lack of depth, players not wanting to come to the program and challenges getting the right position coaches.