Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable. | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers gave up. And that is absolutely inexcusable.

Living in Houston i saw first hand a offensive line totally destroy David Carr's career in two seasons. Watching him live in practice with a "red jersey" on he had as much arm talent as anybody. Watching him on Sundays behind that porous O-line the Texans trotted out literally killed all confidence and the hits had him shell shocked.

I feel TD unfortunately is in the same boat as Carr was. He has been knocked out of four different games including yesterday and he has only started 12 or 13 games total. Thats 20-25 percent of his games. I saw a stat the other day that TD has taken more sacks than any other qb through his 1st ten starts( dont know how to qualify that). Given the O line, rookie rb's, young wr's and the poor poor poor playcalling and clock management playing defenses with a ton of talent on the road etc, I am giving TD a pass. Hard to blame him at this point.
I was thinking the same thing. The o-line woes have definitely attributed to TD's poor performance. If he had a decent o-line the past two years, we could be talking differently about him now.

I am curious how much of it is o-line and how much of it is Tommy not just having the ability to perform under pressure. We may never know.

I always go back to that UNC game in the Dome a few years back where he brought us back. It is apparent now that his confidence is shattered.

Agreed plenty of time.

Our defense also hadn't folded and a 3 and out was likely/possible.

Now could the OL give Devito enough time to even attempt a Hail Mary? Probably not. Which is somehow Tommy's fault of course to most of the folks on here.
I know right??? Again sometimes I really question if they know or even watch football. Smh

I was thinking the same thing. The o-line woes have definitely attributed to TD's poor performance. If he had a decent o-line the past two years, we could be talking differently about him now.

I am curious how much of it is o-line and how much of it is Tommy not just having the ability to perform under pressure. We may never know.

I always go back to that UNC game in the Dome a few years back where he brought us back. It is apparent now that his confidence is shattered.
Yeah because at that point he hadn't been battered into submission lol. I feel for the kid.

So did any of the reporters actually do their job and ask Babers why he quit? I'm still trying to figure out what his rationale could have been? But what we saw was a HC quit on his team. From the looks of it the defensive guys were not happy in that post-game huddle.

That was incredibly weird given the field position. But if your defense is playing well 1st and 15 is a godsend vs 2 and 9. Incredibly bad decision to decline penalty when the opponent is in plus field position. Hard to understand why people are defending that penalty decline to move that back out of fg range. Again we were trailing already at that point couldn't afford to give up any more points
This has been discussed plenty in this thread. NFL down and distance stats (there aren't any college stats readily availabl) don't support either strategy over the other, so it basically comes down to a preference of how many chances you want to give them to pick up the 1st down. That's the last I want to discuss this topic in this thread.

Glad the host Scott Hanson (former SU player) has more guts than the sub standard
See that's what I hate about the media.
The entire story of that game, the focus of conversation by all SU fans, is why didn't Babers play to the whistle? Why didn't he call those time outs? Yet, the media has only skirted around that topic, IMO.
Ask the man, directly: "Dino, you've been criticized for not calling those time outs, 4 minutes left, in a 2 possession game. Can you see how some might think you gave up on trying to win the game, & what kind of message do you think it sends the team if it appears as if you quit"?

I didn’t read where he answered not using his timeouts?
He didn’t call time outs because he felt that that was the best way to get the team to listen to his postgame speech. I’m not supporting the move just interpreting his gibberish. The reporter tried to find out and he spouted that nonsense.

The game ended with Pitt running the final 4:14 off the clock despite Babers having timeouts at his disposal. He opted to let the clock run and made sure he was heard loud and clear as the team gathered on the field after the game.

“Well, I think the biggest thing is, with the locker rooms and stuff like that, I thought it was better to get it out of the way,” Babers said during his post-game press conference on Saturday.

“Sometimes when these guys come in here, they scatter. I didn't want them to scatter. I wanted them to stay together and obviously deliver them a message that was extremely private and something that the family needs to take to heart if we're going to be all that we need to be.”

He didn’t call time outs because he felt that that was the best way to get the team to listen to his postgame speech. I’m not supporting the move just interpreting his gibberish. The reporter tried to find out and he spouted that nonsense.

The game ended with Pitt running the final 4:14 off the clock despite Babers having timeouts at his disposal. He opted to let the clock run and made sure he was heard loud and clear as the team gathered on the field after the game.

“Well, I think the biggest thing is, with the locker rooms and stuff like that, I thought it was better to get it out of the way,” Babers said during his post-game press conference on Saturday.

“Sometimes when these guys come in here, they scatter. I didn't want them to scatter. I wanted them to stay together and obviously deliver them a message that was extremely private and something that the family needs to take to heart if we're going to be all that we need to be.”

I really hope that wasn’t the reason. You play 12 games a year and you don’t play to the e d of 1 because you didn’t want the guys to scatter in the locker room. Good lord

This has been discussed plenty in this thread. NFL down and distance stats (there aren't any college stats readily availabl) don't support either strategy over the other, so it basically comes down to a preference of how many chances you want to give them to pick up the 1st down. That's the last I want to discuss this topic in this thread.
Then don't comment on it, but we will if we choose to!

And while I am speaking on it, if you look at what happened AFTER that decision perhaps HCDB had quit then earlier than we realized

Where does a football player scatter to these days?

I really hope that wasn’t the reason. You play 12 games a year and you don’t play to the e d of 1 because you didn’t want the guys to scatter in the locker room. Good lord

pretty much sums up the lack of control in that locker room since last year

One more game to get it together. Hopefully the Oracle of Oranges revival meeting post game struck a nerve. Hallelujah.

The scatter comment comes from matt parks first question about the meeting they had at midfield after the game, not about the timeouts.

What evidence is there for a lack of control in the locker room???
The speculation going on right now on this board is really something else.

the team tuned out the coaches and no showed against Maryland last year( Dino himself said they tuned out the staff)
Blowing off the alma mater against Clemson and having to be dragged back out
Quitting against BC
Taj Harris acting like a lunatic and showing up TD
Players griping about Dino not speaking up after what happened in Minneapolis
Gathering players on the field yesterday because they “scatter” in the locker room

meybe it isn’t Dino’s fault, maybe it is terrible mix of personalities in the locker room but it was clear last year and into this year that this is not a cohesive group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom