Dino Babers: "We're Going To Surprise Some People" | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino Babers: "We're Going To Surprise Some People"

Bambrewer said:
I would say he has been surprised by the team that is here is an accurate statement. I think he has found more athletes than he thought he would. I think he found more kids willing to buy in completly to what he wanted to do. I think he found a lot of kids putting in extra work after hours and studying new plays. I think he found a lot of kids who cAn play multiply positions. And I think he found a lot of kids have been able to physically transform their bodies in a short time to fit the body type he needs to run what he wants. I think he is more optimistic than he was prespring

How's Shy feeling about the season?

I would say he has been surprised by the team that is here is an accurate statement. I think he has found more athletes than he thought he would. I think he found more kids willing to buy in completly to what he wanted to do. I think he found a lot of kids putting in extra work after hours and studying new plays. I think he found a lot of kids who cAn play multiply positions. And I think he found a lot of kids have been able to physically transform their bodies in a short time to fit the body type he needs to run what he wants. I think he is more optimistic than he was prespring
Not sure how they study plays, as there is no play book, according to Dino.
Video?

IMO the key to the season is keeping Dungey healthy
Babers started fast in each of his past gigs, with inherited talent -- why not at SU?

SU had nothing at QB (no experience) in 2014 or 2015, after Hunt went down. Had to play QBs who had not played a down at this level.

In contrast, SU now has back every single skill player who contributed in 2015, including its most promising QB since Nassib, its best set of receivers since 2012, its best young RB in years (Fredericks) and a second RB (Strickland) who is better than Fredericks.

Of course we are going to surprise people.

orangepassion said:
IMO the key to the season is keeping Dungey healthy

Agreed. Thankfully that will be much easier

If you have a group that's engaged and has bought in to an idea, you can accomplish anything. That applies to sports, business, life, etc.

It seems like this team has completely bought in.

Exciting to hear, but I'd like to see it from our WR corp before I believe it.

OttoForLife said:

We'll save ya a seat on the wagon, but don't wait too long ;)

Maybe he saw something in spring ball and summer workouts that has him more encouraged than he was when he took the position? I love the attitude though.

I'll bet he was surprised at the quality of the skills players on offense. Compared to the talent he's had to work with in the MAC, these guys have probably got him excited. I'm so worried about our line play, though. We are going to NEED several of these incoming freshmen to be able to compete right away. We will see the caliber of coaching. It seems like forever since we've had a decent offensive line coach. If we can build a decent line, this team will score more points than we have in almost 20 years. We may give up as many, but we will replenish the defense within a couple years. I do have great confidence in their recruiting ability , which so far is the best I can remember.

13 touchdowns in the spring game. I think we have some receivers.

I also think we are a disaster on defense if we don't have 4 or 5 playmakers among the incoming freshmen.

13 touchdowns in the spring game. I think we have some receivers.

I also think we are a disaster on defense if we don't have 4 or 5 playmakers among the incoming freshmen.

So to be good on defense, we need 4 or 5 playmakers. When was the last time we had 4 or 5 playmakers on defense, period?

i think the play of the DBs was less about talent and more about confusion and positioning. so many of the big pass plays came in blown coverage when the handoffs were not done properly. a year older and more experienced and hopefully many of those issues go away.. add in a less complex coverage scheme on the sell out plays and I think big plays go down.

i think the play of the DBs was less about talent and more about confusion and positioning. so many of the big pass plays came in blown coverage when the handoffs were not done properly. a year older and more experienced and hopefully many of those issues go away.. add in a less complex coverage scheme on the sell out plays and I think big plays go down.

I think big plays both ways were inherent in a Scott Shafer gambling defense. The Babers defense is exactly the opposite, keep everything in front of you, keep a lid on the big plays and make the offense work for every yard.

Big plays don't seem to happen in the Babers defensive scheme. I think it is more of a sit back and wait for mistakes on offense and capitalize on them defense.

CuseOnly said:
I think big plays both ways were inherent in a Scott Shafer gambling defense. The Babers defense is exactly the opposite, keep everything in front of you, keep a lid on the big plays and make the offense work for every yard.

Big plays don't seem to happen in the Babers defensive scheme. I think it is more of a sit back and wait for mistakes on offense and capitalize on them defense.

Exactly the key to this D remaing around in CFB vs fading in the pros, is college football inherently has more mistakes by the offense (talent younger and more spread out vs NFL) you slow them down frustrate them make them run more plays, and more plays taylored to what you are giving them which shrinks their playbook, makes D reads easier. In total this ups the likelyhood of a mistakes per game if the mistakes per play rate is about equal. Babers teams have been very high in the turnover rankings on defense.

IthacaMatt said:
13 touchdowns in the spring game. I think we have some receivers. I also think we are a disaster on defense if we don't have 4 or 5 playmakers among the incoming freshmen.
So we win 58-41? I can live with that.

Ottoble said:
Exactly the key to this D remaing around in CFB vs fading in the pros, is college football inherently has more mistakes by the offense (talent younger and more spread out vs NFL) you slow them down frustrate them make them run more plays, and more plays taylored to what you are giving them which shrinks their playbook, makes D reads easier. In total this ups the likelyhood of a mistakes per game if the mistakes per play rate is about equal. Babers teams have been very high in the turnover rankings on defense.

Agreed. It also puts pressure on the QB, of which their are of a lesser quality in CFB (and if they do have someone who can pick you apart, they still have to do so small chunk after small chunk).

They will surprise me if they win more than four games. I don't mean that as a knock on our talent, we've just seen enough bumps from installing new systems for me to get too excited. Also, got really pumped for last year and our record just flat out hurt. Want Babers and crew to prove me wrong. I'll be rooting regardless.

This should have been a six win team last year, it's one of the reasons Shafer was let go.

This program is in much better shape than 2009, and Marrone won four games in his first year.

They get DE figured out, six to eight wins is my expectation.

This should have been a six win team last year, it's one of the reasons Shafer was let go.

This program is in much better shape than 2009, and Marrone won four games in his first year.

They get DE figured out, six to eight wins is my expectation.

Agree. Think the pundits are not realizing the potential. Dino gets to 7 wins this year and his rep goes through the roof. However, think he should and that should be expectation, outside of if they get lucky health wise with key guys and get the defense functional.

There's definitely more talent on the roster than the staff thought. I think a lot of people made good points. In adding my piece I will say that the defense will have some sets backs and they will also show some promise, making timely plays to win games for us. Its the opposite of Shafer's scheme. He wanted to force the issue and make teams make quick decisions. Ward's scheme is about making teams play patient. Just keep in mind that the entire starting defense comes back in 2017. Thats when the defense will really excel. Hopefully that will make everyone feel a little better.

Its the opposite of Shafer's scheme. He wanted to force the issue and make teams make quick decisions.
I felt that the "Shafer defense" changed when he became head coach, especially last year. The defense just didn't seem that aggressive any more up front, thereby exposing the DBs. I'm not sure if it was due to changes in personnel (lost a couple of aggressive LBs) or if it was an adjustment in philosophy by Bullough

Ward's scheme is about making teams play patient. Just keep in mind that the entire starting defense comes back in 2017. Thats when the defense will really excel. Hopefully that will make everyone feel a little better.
Agreed. There will likely be more points on the scoreboard this year for both teams. Hopefully, in at least 6 of those games the final score will favor the Orangemen.

2017 should be a breakout year with 9+ wins. The offense will be firing on all cylinders and the defense will be tight with plenty of turnovers. It'll be an exciting season for the team, alumni and fans.

Last edited:
Moontan said:
I felt that the "Shafer defense" changed when he became head coach, especially last year. The dense just didn't seem that aggressive any more up front, thereby exposing the DBs. I'm not sure if it was due to changes in personnel (lost a couple of aggressive LBs) or if it was an adjustment in philosophy by Bullough Agreed. There will likely be more points on the scoreboard this year for both teams. Hopefully, in at least 6 of those games the final score will favor the Orangemen. 2017 should be a breakout year with 9+ wins. The offense will be firing on all cylinders and the defense will be tight with plenty of turnovers. It'll be an exciting season for the team, alumni and fans.

I think last years D was a perfect storm: young everywhere forced the staff to call games more conservatively - which was out of character and made the young secondary issues more glaring.

I think money is right. The young players will older and the scheme will help the coverage. Not to mention the pressure put on the the offense from our offense being explosive.

I felt that the "Shafer defense" changed when he became head coach, especially last year. The dense just didn't seem that aggressive any more up front, thereby exposing the DBs. I'm not sure if it was due to changes in personnel (lost a couple of aggressive LBs) or if it was an adjustment in philosophy by Bullough

A lot of it had to do with having young defensive line and a young secondary.

A lot of it had to do with having young defensive line and a young secondary.

And coverage schemes/concepts/coaching? Youth and lack of experience was a major factor, but far from the only factor, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom