Dino can't recruit QBs. The OL OL OL crowd is on meth. | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dino can't recruit QBs. The OL OL OL crowd is on meth.

At Syracuse, offense is an illusion.
In a dome, no less.

Honestly, it's offensive. :rim shot:

Uh yes it does ... which is why a majority of the top defenses in the NCAA are above .500 ... because defense travels well and is a consistent presence even on the road. Ohio is above .500 for crying out loud and a top 20 defense ... not Ohio State but Ohio, we would kill to have their record with our "offensive" guru.
This is so exhausting.

Why do you believe Syracuse can consistently game by game field a top flight defense that "travels?" What gets us there? What advantage does our program have that it can leverage to stand out on defense? People point to the factories but they can get defensive talent we can't and won't.

Keep in mind, if you think we've had good defenses recently, we still have not had the same coach take us to bowls in consecutive seasons since Pasqualoni. So they haven't accomplished much. And I'd argue that's because the tradeoff isn't actually that we get good defense. What we get is coaching that favors the defense. And that's a losing way to play on college football today.

In a dome, no less.

Honestly, it's offensive. :rim shot:

This is so exhausting.

Why do you believe Syracuse can consistently game by game field a top flight defense that "travels?" What gets us there? What advantage does our program have that it can leverage to stand out on defense? People point to the factories but they can get defensive talent we can't and won't.

Keep in mind, if you think we've had good defenses recently, we still have not had the same coach take us to bowls in consecutive seasons since Pasqualoni. So they haven't accomplished much. And I'd argue that's because the tradeoff isn't actually that we get good defense. What we get is coaching that favors the defense. And that's a losing way to play on college football today.
Where did I say we had lights out defenses? What gets us there? Oh gee I don't know recruiting talent and bringing in a up and coming DC. If you wish to point at this team in particular then explain why we are putting more guys in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball than offensive?

To make it more pointed ... as I'm watching the UGA game the point was made on TV that noise can have a dramatic effect on offenses. Aren't we claiming we are loud and it's an advantage to have a full loud house? Defense is far more consistent on the road and is easier to maintain a high level on the road since crowd noise for a defense isn't an issue. This isn't that hard.

Where did I say we had lights out defenses? What gets us there? Oh gee I don't know recruiting talent and bringing in a up and coming DC. If you wish to point at this team in particular then explain why we are putting more guys in the NFL on the defensive side of the ball than offensive?

To make it more pointed ... as I'm watching the UGA game the point was made on TV that noise can have a dramatic effect on offenses. Aren't we claiming we are loud and it's an advantage to have a full loud house? Defense is far more consistent on the road and is easier to maintain a high level on the road since crowd noise for a defense isn't an issue. This isn't that hard.
Apparently it is that hard.

Apparently it is that hard.
Not for me it isn’t … I love the rebuttal btw. Sound facts. In earnest it has been shown over the last decade at a minimum we’ve been better at drawing and building defensive talent for a variety of reasons. Our geography actually feeds into that, we can get really athletic guys like Jobity who are extremely green but turn them into good defensive pieces, the offense hasn’t faired the same. It’s not even arguable just based on recent draft results.

We're the Oakland A's circa 2001

We've gotta think differently than other programs and the best way to do it is finding advantages via offense.

Dino's early years are the best example of this
I agree. Except, Dino’s early O was a gimmick.

I’m all in on being an O-first, innovative program. But I also believe that we can’t make it come across as a gimmick. Definitely don’t brand it as an air raid or whatever.

Because almost all players think they have NFL potential, and they don’t want to play for a program that has a gimmicky O that NFL coaches are going to look sideways at.

Be creative. Just don’t be goofy.

Defensively all we need is to be *just good enough* to give the O a chance to outscore opponents. Limit big plays, make the opposing O work for the points they will inevitably score, and make the occasional critical 3rd down stop/ball hawking turnover.

The idea that we should even try to build some kind of ‘00 Ravens D is ludicrous.

We still lose. This is the thing you don't understand.

The only times we've had good seasons has been because we could score points.
I’m not saying not to score points .. a good D keeps you in games at home and on the road .. they are less impacted by noise. My whole point about defense is to not be adverse to hiring a defensive head coach. The right OC can give you balance. It has been easier to build that side of the ball due to talent radius so I see no issue leaning into it. Never have I said don’t have a credible offense. Last years Clemson game exemplifies how much a good D can keep you in a game when you struggle to score is the point. The D nearly won the game for SU last year.

omg leach's home road splits

what is the point of talking to people who wouldn't have been satisfied with leach's results, winning 60% of games at texas tech, washington state, and mississippi state
Finally one of your posts that I agree with. The first one in days. As a bonus, no “woke” references.

We played Kansas here in the dome in the early 80’s and they had John Hadl on staff. He is reported to have stated “Oh my, how I could I recruit to this”!

The right head coach, with the right OC can definitely “recruit to this”.

Tony White may well be the guy but I would want to know who he will have in charge of the offense.

edit- it was 1980.

I agree. Except, Dino’s early O was a gimmick.

I’m all in on being an O-first, innovative program. But I also believe that we can’t make it come across as a gimmick. Definitely don’t brand it as an air raid or whatever.

Because almost all players think they have NFL potential, and they don’t want to play for a program that has a gimmicky O that NFL coaches are going to look sideways at.

Be creative. Just don’t be goofy.

Defensively all we need is to be *just good enough* to give the O a chance to outscore opponents. Limit big plays, make the opposing O work for the points they will inevitably score, and make the occasional critical 3rd down stop/ball hawking turnover.

The idea that we should even try to build some kind of ‘00 Ravens D is ludicrous.
How was it a gimmick

It’s woke. Super woke. Wokey woke woke.
If you don't think someone at espn would run with the story of a class act black coach at a middling school getting fired at 4-5, you should turn it on sometime

Butt the emotional people want it RIGHT NOW

Look at the last itme we hired an Offensive coach! Besides, Shafer recruited better, won a bowl game and if Terrel Hunt doesn't go down he might still be here with Dungey following him. Would have had a better record than Dino the last 8 years. HCSS recruited Eric Dungey, Ervin Phillips, Brisly Estime, Jamal Custis, Steve Ishmael, Zaire Franklin, Donate Strickland, Jordan Fredericks, Aaron Roberts, Chris Slayton and others.
Everybody gave Dino a pass becasue of injuries but nobody gave HCSS one and his were at least as bad as Dino's. Time to quit bashing HCSS and realize Dino's only good year was with Shafer's players.
I have to say ur right 100%.

If you don't think someone at espn would run with the story of a class act black coach at a middling school getting fired at 4-5, you should turn it on sometime

I want him fired 3 years ago but we were having faith without evidence. We have the evidence that we suck. Now what.

Look man, the QB room has never been deeper. I read it here.
Yeah ur right with stars. I did hear it here too. 3-4* star guys and none can throw. What. I’m so confused.

Al Golden, I think. Which makes sense.
No if ur at Miami and can’t win, u suck. It’s Miami. Fall out of ur coaching box and hit 3-5* star guys bye accident

I don't think that's accurate.

He's being asked to do more than he's capable of right now.

But there is talent there. He's a young guy that's still developing. He's going to get better.

Contrast that with former board favorite Alford, for example, who continues to disappear and is the same player he's been for years.
I agree with Hatcher but Alford is open often, yet we don’t even send him long cause we can’t throw 30 yard balls. If we do they are 5 yards off or out of bounds. some say he isn’t open, well most qb can throw a 6’5 - 230 lb person open at any given time. It’s putting the ball where only he can catch it. It’s not difficult and if our awesome qb coach is a really good qb coach then he knows where that throw should go. It’s definatly not where we are throwing.

You do love the extra practice time/throwing the ball angle. It’s a staple of yours. I am not sure a few extra reps per day week turns any of these guys into David Klingler.

And since so many things with this program of ours are counterintuitive, I suppose hiring a defensive HC might be the best way to fix the offense. (It really is remarkable how far Dino is off the path he forecast upon behind hired).

I will say this … Al Golden is known as a recruiter and it has resulted in him getting gigs through the years. If he came here (big IF), he better drop the whole tie on the sideline while wearing a cheap shirt from American Eagle look. I mean, even Mike Brey came off the mock turtle.

I would call Bronco first. Longshot, no doubt. But it cannot hurt. Marrone won’t take it, but call him. I’d rather have Golden than White.

Half of the gig as a HC is about communication. Dino stopped communicating somewhere along the line. To the fans. To the media (outside of occasional strange movie references). And I would surmise the team, although I don’t know this (and I mean communicating effectively).

I am bummed we squandered our time with Rocky Long (helluva coach, who I would actually consider hiring if he promised me five years, but I doubt he can). And to a slightly lesser degree Beck. I think Dino had some solid coordinators, but things got sideways and now change is upon us.
Who is to say that if white gets job he doesn’t keep long as long taught him the d. Long has maybe 2 to 5 years left. If he can teach Achuff and step down down the road and let Chris call defense then we could be in good shape defensively. Offensively we may be f.

Guy who develops a good running game, 1,000 yard rushers year after year.
Yes, I think our best chance of winning again as a program is a return to a Pasqualoni style coach who knows how to teach offensive line play.

This is our only path to relevance again; we are not going to "out talent" people at the skills positions, so we MUST have a competent offensive line that can move the ball on the ground. All the rest flows from that.
That was always Deleone. I may have spelled that wrong. George was a great teacher on oline.

My goodness there have been plenty of black coaches fired at all types of schools and none of them given 8 years and $15-20 million to produce one of the worst records in CFB over that span

My goodness there have been plenty of black coaches fired at all types of schools and none of them given 8 years and $15-20 million to produce one of the worst records in CFB over that span
Why do you keep pretending that I'm saying you can't fire him. We all agree he'll get fired. You give him a chance to make the bowl and then you move on.

What a weird tantrum

everyone was fine with firing him at the end of the year but then a backup QB sucked and all cognitive skills vanish

Why do you keep pretending that I'm saying you can't fire him. We all agree he'll get fired. You give him a chance to make the bowl and then you move on.

What a weird tantrum

everyone was fine with firing him at the end of the year but then a backup QB sucked and all cognitive skills vanish
to be fair, a lot of us said to fire him after Vtech because we thought it was an opportunity to right the ship a bit with an interim coach.

He's had every chance to succeed. And Syracuse has black coaches in all three prominent sports (women's bball being third). Hard to see how race would be a factor at Syracuse. He's had a longer leash than anyone in the country.