Dino can't recruit QBs. The OL OL OL crowd is on meth. | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dino can't recruit QBs. The OL OL OL crowd is on meth.

Mike Leach had unprecedented success at Texas tech and Washington State because his offensive lines were so good in those conferences?

They bought time for wr with wide splits where DE had to go farther and they get the ball out fast

Also, throwing all day in practice means more reps doing doing one thing well
You do love the extra practice time/throwing the ball angle. It’s a staple of yours. I am not sure a few extra reps per day week turns any of these guys into David Klingler.

And since so many things with this program of ours are counterintuitive, I suppose hiring a defensive HC might be the best way to fix the offense. (It really is remarkable how far Dino is off the path he forecast upon behind hired).

I will say this … Al Golden is known as a recruiter and it has resulted in him getting gigs through the years. If he came here (big IF), he better drop the whole tie on the sideline while wearing a cheap shirt from American Eagle look. I mean, even Mike Brey came off the mock turtle.

I would call Bronco first. Longshot, no doubt. But it cannot hurt. Marrone won’t take it, but call him. I’d rather have Golden than White.

Half of the gig as a HC is about communication. Dino stopped communicating somewhere along the line. To the fans. To the media (outside of occasional strange movie references). And I would surmise the team, although I don’t know this (and I mean communicating effectively).

I am bummed we squandered our time with Rocky Long (helluva coach, who I would actually consider hiring if he promised me five years, but I doubt he can). And to a slightly lesser degree Beck. I think Dino had some solid coordinators, but things got sideways and now change is upon us.

We recruit receivers who don’t run fast, aren’t physical, and can’t catch, so that puts out air raid offense at a disadvantage. Otherwise, we should be good.
valdosta state was drowning in fast strong talented wr

Mike Leach had unprecedented success at Texas tech and Washington State because his offensive lines were so good in those conferences?

They bought time for wr with wide splits where DE had to go farther and they get the ball out fast

Also, throwing all day in practice means more reps doing doing one thing well

Is there any time you would have called him a “very good QB” at Syracuse?

He’s in the NFL because of Illinois.

I think I’d conclude that he is a good QB who Babers recruited, but who Babers couldn’t coach up or put in a position to be successful here.

Ultimate conclusion. Babers isnt good at developing offensive players and his system is junk.

Last edited:
If we were Alabama, I would want to use an Alabama style approach where you don't have to concede any tradeoffs

They just hire ten offensive assistants better than anyone we will ever get
Well we aren’t, however the can’t hire a defensive trope is stupid … Lanning, Smart, Saban and guys like Kelly hire good OCs and come from defensive roots .., the meathead move is assuming they can’t have solid offenses while they win. They’ve already proven they can travel well with a solid D and put together potent offenses. Hell even Venables is putting points on the board.

Well we aren’t, however the can’t hire a defensive trope is stupid … Lanning, Smart, Saban and guys like Kelly hire good OCs and come from defensive roots .., the meathead move is assuming they can’t have solid offenses while they win. They’ve already proven they can travel well with a solid D and put together potent offenses. Hell even Venables is putting points on the board.
We face tradeoffs. How much can we pay any oc. We only have so much money. The money we spend on a head coach should fix the most important thing. I think it's QB. But I'm not a Giants fan

Look at the last itme we hired an Offensive coach! Besides, Shafer recruited better, won a bowl game and if Terrel Hunt doesn't go down he might still be here with Dungey following him. Would have had a better record than Dino the last 8 years. HCSS recruited Eric Dungey, Ervin Phillips, Brisly Estime, Jamal Custis, Steve Ishmael, Zaire Franklin, Donate Strickland, Jordan Fredericks, Aaron Roberts, Chris Slayton and others.
Everybody gave Dino a pass becasue of injuries but nobody gave HCSS one and his were at least as bad as Dino's. Time to quit bashing HCSS and realize Dino's only good year was with Shafer's players.
He was a retention hire, he was supposed to keep the program on a positive trajectory, he didn’t so he got canned.

We face tradeoffs. How much can we pay any oc. We only have so much money. The money we spend on a head coach should fix the most important thing. I think it's QB. But I'm not a Giants fan
Neither am I … wring your hands over offensive QB gurus all you like that experiment won’t work here … good defenses keep you in games we can’t even accomplish that and then you want to go air raid and try to outgun teams and do what exactly? Continue to give the other teams more TOP and possessions… I guess you favor more blowouts?

You want to pay an OC open your checkbook many major programs have boosters paying their salaries. If we can’t raise the money I want to look competitive … not 3 incompletions and a punt that strategy isn’t working for us.

But who am I kidding I’m not using sports-reference to make my coaching decisions, I’m not Billy Beane.

Neither am I … wring your hands over offensive QB gurus all you like that experiment won’t work here … good defenses keep you in games we can’t even accomplish that and then you want to go air raid and try to outgun teams and do what exactly? Continue to give the other teams more TOP and possessions… I guess you favor more blowouts?

You want to pay an OC open your checkbook many major programs have boosters paying their salaries. If we can’t raise the money I want to look competitive … not 3 incompletions and a punt that strategy isn’t working for us.

But who am I kidding I’m not using sports-reference to make my coaching decisions, I’m not Billy Beane.
Who do you want to emulate that is like us?

Durr defense good so defense head coach good Durr

I think we should look around and see what works better more often for schools like us

Who do you want to emulate that is like us?
A better question for you is who don’t we because we look worse than just about anyone I can think of but look at what Fickel did at Cincy as a good start. I know you like Leach but a guy who lost 34-7 to his former squad in a bowl game to a Texas Tech team that gave up 70 that same year to a mediocre Texas team doesn’t seem like an answer to me.

Leaches home/road splits don’t look all that hot … 2 points against UK on the road in 2020 … two points … SMH … either you win a track meet or get boat raced in embarrassing fashion … great strategy. We don’t have the talent in our recruiting radius to run that system and be remotely successful.

A better question for you is who don’t we because we look worse than just about anyone I can think of but look at what Fickel did at Cincy as a good start. I know you like Leach but a guy who lost 34-7 to his former squad in a bowl game to a Texas Tech team that gave up 70 that same year to a mediocre Texas team doesn’t seem like an answer to me.

Leaches home/road splits don’t look all that hot … 2 points against UK on the road in 2020 … two points … SMH … either you win a track meet or get boat raced in embarrassing fashion … great strategy. We don’t have the talent in our recruiting radius to run that system and be remotely successful.
omg leach's home road splits

what is the point of talking to people who wouldn't have been satisfied with leach's results, winning 60% of games at texas tech, washington state, and mississippi state

omg leach's home road splits

what is the point of talking to people who wouldn't have been satisfied with leach's results, winning 60% of games at texas tech, washington state, and mississippi state

My point was defense travels far better than air raid … of course if I recall you wanted a guy like Dino, he won’t get to 60%. Leach is a very rare animal you can’t just bring in air raid and make it work … his results while good wouldn’t translate here, plus he is one of a handful that could pull it off and rest in peace he is not available so yeah let’s go find an air raid guy no matter how mediocre because you’ll think we will have success flinging it all over … worked real well this time around :rolleyes:

My point was defense travels far better than air raid … of course if I recall you wanted a guy like Dino, he won’t get to 60%. Leach is a very rare animal you can’t just bring in air raid and make it work … his results while good wouldn’t translate here, plus he is one of a handful that could pull it off and rest in peace he is not available so yeah let’s go find an air raid guy no matter how mediocre because you’ll think we will have success flinging it all over … worked real well this time around :rolleyes:
ok if you don't think we can find a leach that's different than talking about his road splits or that one time they didn't do well against kentucky

ok if you don't think we can find a leach that's different than talking about his road splits or that one time they didn't do well against kentucky
For the third time .. defense travels well ... your adversion to hiring a defensive coach is meathead all unto itself until you know who the coordinators are. Sorry but I want a team that can muster more than 2 points on the road when sporting a "high-powered" offense. It's a matter of consistency, if you aren't scoring the results are compounded.

For the third time .. defense travels well ... your adversion to hiring a defensive coach is meathead all unto itself until you know who the coordinators are. Sorry but I want a team that can muster more than 2 points on the road when sporting a "high-powered" offense. It's a matter of consistency, if you aren't scoring the results are compounded.
If you say so

Well that’s because it’s a fantasy way of looking at the portal. If you want a good OL you need to hire an OL coach with some chops. We haven’t had a really high end OL coaching pool since we had Greg Adkins coupled with Marrone.

Schmidt was a good technician. Raised Bergerons grade 20 points. Worked out well for Matthew.

If you say so
Give me all those air raid national champions … don’t worry I’ll wait. I can tell you how many had elite defenses though. Keep clinging to gimmicks.

No it doesn't.

In college football defense is an illusion.
Yeah tell UGA, Bama, Clemson, Michigan, OSU … meh what’s the point? The fact is you guys can be dismissive of defensive tacticians all you wish, they don’t know how to win :rolleyes:

Give me all those air raid national champions … don’t worry I’ll wait. I can tell you how many had elite defenses though. Keep clinging to gimmicks.
Are you a perfect ai ultimate meathead