Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino loses playcalling duties in Arizona

Something happened in the off-season ahead of 2019. His whole demeanor changed noticeably after the 2018 season. I don’t know if the expectations got to him, he regretted not bouncing when his stock was highest, or what. But he was never the same.
Since people are agreeing with this take does anyone care to speculate what could’ve happened?
Are we thinking the pressure related to the extension got to him or something else ?

I watched that game since it was the only one on. Didn’t know Dino wasn’t calling plays but their offense didn’t look good that game either. They kept stalling and settling for FGs. Utah is a good team though. The Arizona defense though was outstanding.
Ditto , I thought Dino was at the helm, Arizona did nothing for a long stretch. Shut Utah down on D. Personally still rooting for Coach Babers.

Since people are agreeing with this take does anyone care to speculate what could’ve happened?
Are we thinking the pressure related to the extension got to him or something else ?
Not sure what happened beyond going from 10-2 to 5-7 then 1-10, but that's when the explanations started sounding like excuses. Too ba because I really hoped he'd continue the success. Someone suggested it before that he never really had Plan B for when other coaches figured out how to stop the "new fast."

Something happened in the off-season ahead of 2019. His whole demeanor changed noticeably after the 2018 season. I don’t know if the expectations got to him, he regretted not bouncing when his stock was highest, or what. But he was never the same.
He wanted the usc job and didn’t get it. I know for a fact he was after that job like you can’t believe and truly believed he was going to get it. After he didn’t, the guy packed it in. People don’t want to hear that but it’s 100 percent factual. And for those that think Dino was such a great guy, he was hardly that. He didn’t show up to anything that he wasn’t forced to go to. He didn’t do anything extra ever. I’m not saying he disliked Syracuse, but he was using it to get a job he really wanted. I’ll leave it at that for now

I’m more of the mind that the Maryland game happened and it absolutely ruined him.

He wanted the usc job and didn’t get it. I know for a fact he was after that job like you can’t believe and truly believed he was going to get it. After he didn’t, the guy packed it in. People don’t want to hear that but it’s 100 percent factual. And for those that think Dino was such a great guy, he was hardly that. He didn’t show up to anything that he wasn’t forced to go to. He didn’t do anything extra ever. I’m not saying he disliked Syracuse, but he was using it to get a job he really wanted. I’ll leave it at that for now

Unfortunately this poster is speaking truths…….

No sense in getting into details with Dino as that era is over, but it wasn’t great and we should be happy we’ve moved on

Unfortunately this poster is speaking truths…….

No sense in getting into details with Dino as that era is over, but it wasn’t great and we should be happy we’ve moved on
From what I recall it was UCLA that was the one the school feared he was going to, and gave the extension to soften the transition blow.

Had The Tommy D era and 2019 gone as expected / hoped, Dino was good as gone in 2020.

That is what I was told as well plus one other West Coast job that was supposed to open but didn't. Dino seems like a really good person and I do wish him well.
I talk about Fit and Dino is and will always be a West Coast person. He saw Syracuse as a stepping stone not a destination. Nothing wrong with that. you are spot on.

I buy it. The guy was the epitome of a journeyman coach, and he clearly was a west coaster.

I’m more of the mind that the Maryland game happened and it absolutely ruined him.
His personality changed before that, though. I vividly remember the morose way he was acting heading into that 2019 season. I recall deciding not to post about it because the vibes were so good here coming off that 2018 season, and we all wanted that Gameday vs. Clemson. But it was apparent something was up with him.

It’s somewhat impressive a guy who quiet quit five years ago was able to find another job. I’m guessing he’s still got the ability to fake being a high energy guy for brief periods, and that and his connections allowed him to land on his feet at Arizona.

But now the Head Coach realizes he hired a guy who doesn’t work overtime (or weekends, apparently…), and can’t skip his midafternoon nap. He’ll probably be given the opportunity to gracefully retire, if not he’ll discover he’s decided to pursue other interests at the end of this season - at the latest.

I think the folks saying Dino seems like a decent guy are trying way too hard to be nice - nothing about how he handled his last five years here are indicators of a nice guy. I’d say I’ll be rooting against him if he decides he wants to keep stealing money from some other school while he impersonates an actual football coach…but it feels pointless to be that bitter about it.

Not sure what happened beyond going from 10-2 to 5-7 then 1-10, but that's when the explanations started sounding like excuses. Too ba because I really hoped he'd continue the success. Someone suggested it before that he never really had Plan B for when other coaches figured out how to stop the "new fast."
I actually thought the big change came in 22. We were 6-0 and seemed to have the ship righted. Dino had his swagger back then injuries led to the collapse. He was not the same ……. The following year after he got to 4-0 he seemed like he was playing to not get guys hurt. It backfired and was his demise

Was always a great guy from my personal interactions with him. Can't speak to what others are posting, only from my experience with him. Will say I don't love some of the celebratory tone from our fans on social media. We fired the guy, after all. Don't get the bitterness and happiness for his next stop going sour.

His personality changed before that, though. I vividly remember the morose way he was acting heading into that 2019 season. I recall deciding not to post about it because the vibes were so good here coming off that 2018 season, and we all wanted that Gameday vs. Clemson. But it was apparent something was up with him.

Always wondered after 2018 if he did get close in some talks with a bigger program and was depressed that they didn't close. Or if he was just depressed that he wasn't approached.

Or maybe he was just upset that his son-in-law graduated and he knew he didn't have another one to replace him at left tackle.

2019 was a wild ride. And not the good kind (Maryland being perhaps the most puzzling and deflating loss in program history, BC rushing for 500 yards in the Dome). But I was glad to be there with my 10 year old at the time for the Wake Forest finish. He hadn't paid enough attention to know how bad it was or how good we had hoped it would be.

Was always a great guy from my personal interactions with him. Can't speak to what others are posting, only from my experience with him. Will say I don't love some of the celebratory tone from our fans on social media. We fired the guy, after all. Don't get the bitterness and happiness for his next stop going sour.
I had a personal interaction with him and it was not great. I won't belabor it as I've posted about it in the past but he wasn't this super nice guy that everyone talks about ad nauseum. If he's nice I'm a freaking care bear.

When you compare Dino's attitude about NIL, which was basically to throw up his hands and say there's nothing I can do about this, and compare it to Fran, it's obvious that Dino is not the guy you want leading your football program in this era- among his other issues.

We had some nice interactions with about our little one (Clemson Win Baby) and last year he even said how much he loved hearing the story and sent her an autographed photo.
Great man and he helped get us a 10-win season. I wish nothing but the best for Dino and his family.
Stinks he kind of just "collected a paycheck" after 2018.

i'm glad everyone is coming out of the woodwork to crush Dino now. I wish Wildhack knew this in say 2020. I mean why on earth did John hold on to this guy with one foot out the door as long as he did. Everyone always makes fun of BC when they got rid of Jeff Jags because of his wondering eye but that probably was the best thing they could do to rip a bandaid off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom