Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU

If Syracuse football is giving many here so much aggravation maybe just take a break. ( somebody once told me exact same thing) We are 4-2 and a very average college football team. Horrible loss Saturday and about to get trounced on Saturday. Win 3 of 5 left, get 7 wins and that is right about where the program belongs contrary to many here. If the bottom falls out, I would think Dino will be replaced and we can start the cycle all over. and in 4-5 years we will want the next coach fired as well which is fine

Wasn't the first time we have been blown out won't be the last under any coach doesn't really matter. It's been 25 years since we were actually a decent program. Not one or two good seasons but a solid program and many are here acting as if it's all right within our grasp!!! 25 years.

It would take a miracle to transform this program into a consistent 8-10 win program

Last edited:
I like Dino and am more than sympathetic to our landscape but that quote is weak. He is running transfers out there from big time schools that certainly look the part.

Jones and Black were weak also - its rare when an athlete says I have more than enough of whatever the provider is providing.

Portal, extra recovery tubs or whatever - we got torched by a guy that might be a dozen year starter in the NFL - who got the equivalent of 6 outs in a half inning to start the game. Just give the guy his due and move on.

We’re in year 5 of Dino not acting like the guy who he first sold to us in 2016.

It’s unfortunate.

This job eats everyone alive. And he's been using that depth argument for years. First it was he needed more recruiting classes, now it's because it's being bought away.

I'm starting to lean towards thinking longevity at the SU coaching job isn't something that will work. Might be better off recycling every 4-5 years and getting transfer/recruiting momentum.

We'll see how this year ends though. Could be 9-3. Unlikely, but could be. If 6-6 or worse, probably time to recycle.

If I were Dino, and I wanted to stay in this job, Shrader would be playing DeVito ball this weekend. Only handoffs, and if flushed, then run to the right, outside the tackle box, and heave it out of bounds. No hits.

His running like the Purdue game is what gets us wins in the last 5. Can't do it if we let FSU beat him into the ground. No hero ball for him this week.

Last edited:
I like Dino and am more than sympathetic to our landscape but that quote is weak. He is running transfers out there from big time schools that certainly look the part.

Jones and Black were weak also - its rare when an athlete says I have more than enough of whatever the provider is providing.

Portal, extra recovery tubs or whatever - we got torched by a guy that might be a dozen year starter in the NFL - who got the equivalent of 6 outs in a half inning to start the game. Just give the guy his due and move on.
yep. Seems like there have been a few coaches offering up similar responses when things don't go their way. I mean we have been blown out countless times over the years, just take your medicine and move on. Win 7 games Dino keep your job, nobody is saying you need to attain anything more than average results but that might not be that easy at Syracuse

This job eats everyone alive. And he's been using that depth argument for years. First it was he needed more recruiting classes, now it's because it's being bought away.

I'm starting to lean towards thinking longevity at the SU coaching job isn't something that will work. Might be better off recycling every 4-5 years and getting transfer/recruiting momentum.

We'll see how this year ends though. Could be 9-3. Unlikely, but could be. If 6-6 or worse, probably time to recycle.

If I were Dino, and I wanted to stay in this job, Shrader would be playing DeVito ball this weekend. Only handoffs, and if flushed, then run to the right, outside the tackle box, and heave it out of bounds. No hits.

His running like the Purdue game is what gets us wins in the last 5. Can't do it if we let FSU beat him into the ground.

If you look at Lousiville they have been like a yo yo the past 20 years, up and down up and down, Hiring firing etc. Issue is they will spend the money but looks like they finally got their guy after years of tap dancing around it.

I never post, only follow, so my opinion is what it is. Dino came in with a punchers chance. Sold everyone on it. La Famiglia, Ohana baby. In year 2 began blaming facilities, then Injuries etc. Here we are in year 8. Outmanned, Outspent, and out coached.

yep. Seems like there have been a few coaches offering up similar responses when things don't go their way. I mean we have been blown out countless times over the years, just take your medicine and move on. Win 7 games Dino keep your job, nobody is saying you need to attain anything more than average results but that might not be that easy at Syracuse
Yup. Agree with Bayside and Chip too. I thought the longevity play would be our advantage. Maybe not. Or it’s just not the right guy for it. If Dino doesn’t have charisma, he’s just a below average coach. We can find dozens of better ones who want to make a name for themselves and move on at least.

This profession eats its own all the time. I think Dino needs a break. and I’m one of the most realistic about Syracuses place in the football world.

The facilities are getting a much needed improvement. Things sucked for a long time but he’s had the best lot of anyone here. I know we’re still behind but the shovel is in the ground on the new facilities that will improve things for both football and the rest of the sports programs. The “weight room” for non revenue sports is embarrassing. People should take a tour of Manley and see it. I know that’s the schools fault but the end of Jake’s tenure followed by Gross set the school back decades.

Dino as the good guy coach should be praising the school and saying we’re taking actions to improve the situation. This woe is me stuff doesn’t work when you’ve been given an extremely long leash.

If you look at Lousiville they have been like a yo yo the past 20 years, up and down up and down, Hiring firing etc. Issue is they will spend the money but looks like they finally got their guy after years of tap dancing around it.

Mostly up though, only a couple losing seasons. Their biggest problem is they let the same guy destroy them twice. Guessing they won't give him a 3rd chance.

If Syracuse football is giving many here so much aggravation maybe just take a break. ( somebody once told me exact same thing) We are 4-2 and a very average college football team. Horrible loss Saturday and about to get trounced on Saturday. Win 3 of 5 left, get 7 wins and that is right about where the program belongs contrary to many here. If the bottom falls out, I would think Dino will be replaced and we can start the cycle all over. and in 4-5 years we will want the next coach fired as well which is fine

Wasn't the first time we have been blown out won't be the last under any coach doesn't really matter. It's been 25 years since we were actually a decent program. Not one or two good seasons but a solid program and many are here acting as if it's all right within our grasp!!! 25 years.

It would take a miracle to transform this program into a consistent 8-10 win program

I don’t disagree, in general, with what you’re saying. It’s going to be tough to win here and thinking we’ll be a consistent 8-10 win program is glittering unicorn thoughts.

But his record in the ACC, record against peer programs and the amount of times we’ve been curb stomped by 30+ points is, bad. There’s a big difference between being an average and sometimes good team in the ACC. We are rarely even average and are just as likely to not show up at all to games as we are to be average any given year.

The argument of “who will we get that’s better” is silly to me when you have one of the worst performing coaches in the country and the worst winning % coach in all of the ACC. There’s not much further down we could go in the ACC the last 8 years. It’s unlikely we could hire a coach that would bring us that additional notch down (assuming you don’t think we’re on the last notch already) as opposed to even raising us up a notch.

I didn’t even mention his record in November since he’s been here. We have that to look forward to.

Yep. There are bowl teams in the SEC and B1G that routinely get smacked by the big programs as well. I suppose that creates angst in their fan base, but their athletic departments certainly are not looking to close shop and head to the Patriot League, like some here think we're heading.

Last edited:
I don’t disagree, in general, with what you’re saying. It’s going to be tough to win here and thinking we’ll be a consistent 8-10 win program is glittering unicorn thoughts.

But his record in the ACC, record against peer programs and the amount of times we’ve been curb stomped by 30+ points is, bad. There’s a big difference between being an average and sometimes good team in the ACC. We are rarely even average and are just as likely to not show up at all to games as we are to be average any given year.

The argument of “who will we get that’s better” is silly to me when you have one of the worst performing coaches in the country and the worst winning % coach in all of the ACC. There’s not much further down we could go in the ACC the last 8 years. It’s unlikely we could hire a coach that would bring us that additional notch down (assuming you don’t think we’re on the last notch already) as opposed to even raising us up a notch.

I didn’t even mention his record in November since he’s been here. We have that to look forward to.
We once hired GRob..

Dino's NIL comments sound like a Kvetch and a stretch. The only 2 guys we lost due to NIL were Carter and Duce (who are both not even playing in their new destination). We actually got more DB depth from the transfer portal bringing in Gould, Bellamy, Farmer, and Jalil Martin. Everyone else who left was to get on the field more, which is happening to every school. He should be worried more about being one of the least disciplined teams and not having a good OL year after year (long before NIL/Transfer Portal) than anything else.

Last edited:

yep but we need to let the season play out and see where things wind up. Too early to tell right now. Could be 5 wins could be 8, IMO. Lot of football left. If we want to discuss the limited ceiling with Dino as the HC then yeah that would make sense because I do feel like the ceiling is very limited. However, if he makes a bowl game then we might be looking at more time with Dino

yep but we need to let the season play out and see where things wind up. Too early to tell right now. Could be 5 wins could be 8, IMO. Lot of football left. If we want to discuss the limited ceiling with Dino as the HC then yeah that would make sense because I do feel like the ceiling is very limited. However, if he makes a bowl game then we might be looking at more time with Dino
Agree. I worry about the scenario where we win six and qualify. To me that, is under performing given our schedule. We all knew 4-3 was a likely and good start.

If we only win six and Dino is still here….the apathy next year will be very bad. If he recovers and wins the 8 we should, then we can sell the progress.

Why bring up NIL after this game? Depth wasn’t the problem and a reason for the loss.
Because Brent asked the question and he got an answer. We don't want scripted and cliche quotes, but when we get an honest one, the world is ending. You can't complain that the program is closed and guarded, but when someone says this is what's really happening, you get upset.

Screenshot 2023-10-10 094159.png

Those transfers are already starting or getting meaningful enough minutes to where you think they do. When he talks about depth, he means throughout the roster. For some units, after that first string, it goes to crap quickly.

Agree. I worry about the scenario where we win six and qualify. To me that, is under performing given our schedule. We all knew 4-3 was a likely and good start.

If we only win six and Dino is still here….the apathy next year will be very bad. If he recovers and wins the 8 we should, then we can sell the progress.

yeah best case scenario is show some signs of life this weekend and get to the bye week but again Dino has been really bad off bye weeks. So you just never know but yeah 6 wins is the gray area.

I feel like everyone affiliated with the program has to get off the mat Saturday to at least fight for something

gotta fight Dino

Last edited:
So you just never know but yeah 6 wins is the gray area.

I'm really hopeful it won't come to this. But given our schedule after FSU, it will be really interesting to see what happens if we end up 6-6 in the regular season.

I know Wildhack said bowl games, but it would be flying really close to the sun to finish 2-3 against those particular teams.

I'm really hopeful it won't come to this. But given our schedule after FSU, it will be really interesting to see what happens if we end up 6-6 in the regular season.

I know Wildhack said bowl games, but it would be flying really close to the sun to finish 2-3 against those particular teams.
7 wins is really the mark for sure

Because Brent asked the question and he got an answer. We don't want scripted and cliche quotes, but when we get an honest one, the world is ending. You can't complain that the program is closed and guarded, but when someone says this is what's really happening, you get upset.

View attachment 232077

Those transfers are already starting or getting meaningful enough minutes to where you think they do. When he talks about depth, he means throughout the roster. For some units, after that first string, it goes to crap quickly.
But it isn't true.

SU **never** has sufficient depth. We didn't in the 90s when our starting 22 could hang with almost anyone in the country, it wasn't true in the late 00s when we were one of the worst programs on Earth.

We lack depth because of who we are, institutionally. Not because two guys left for big money somewhere else.

I would hope Dino knows that, but sadly I'm not sure.

He could have just said depth has always been a challenge in his Syracuse tenure, but that’s no excuse for not being competitive.
Well, he lost a starting safety, corner back, and two rotational lineman, that's depth gone because of NIL. He also never pointed to it as the reason they were not competitive, he was answering Axe's question on the lack of depth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom