Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Game 7 Press Conference | FSU

Agreed. The big objective for this week is to avoid any key injuries against FSU, then head into the bye week with an extra week to recuperate and prepare for the home stretch. Have to win 4 out of those last 5.

Anything less is unacceptable.

This is a legit question. Do you think we won 4 out of the last 5?

They are peer programs to finish the year off with.

If we go 4-1 or 5-0 then we are in a good spot under Babers

8-4 / 9-3 is commendable and a good year.

If we go 3-2 / 2-3 it's up for debate, but better than our recent historical trending has been.

If we go 1-4 or 0-5 then it's lights out and starting from scratch again

But it isn't true.

SU **never** has sufficient depth. We didn't in the 90s when our starting 22 could hang with almost anyone in the country, it wasn't true in the late 00s when we were one of the worst programs on Earth.

We lack depth because of who we are, institutionally. Not because two guys left for big money somewhere else.

I would hope Dino knows that, but sadly I'm not sure.

Yeah, I mean Dan Conley went down in 1993, and our defense's ability to stop the run went down with him.

We were pretty lucky to have guys like Graves and McNabb start every game in their 4 years. Especially since they were QBs who took a lot of hits and played their home games on a surface that could best be described as a parking lot.

It’s one thing to say the roster would be better with those guys than not, but the roster didn’t get gutted. That was a disappointing bit.

They got smoked, it happens, focus on what makes those type of games hard in the future (hint offensive line), and move on.

This season was always about the first four and last five.

Get Jones, Ellis, More and hopefully Peña ready for VT and put the hammer down,

"Always?" For who, you? Certainly it's convenient to say this after the fact, but I don't know if there's any truth to it, it's after all your own train of thought.

No doubt, after the first four (sounds like a NCAA play in deal) the next three were no easy feats. However, I think there were many folks feeling, at least half way decent, about are chances going into the Dome against Clemson, and even at UNC prior to that game.

We'll see how the season plays out, but again, in my view, it's the same 'ol song and dance when it comes to Dino. Which is, one above .500 conference record to date during his 8 year tenure. Not to mention, in a conference that has been pretty mediocre for the most part (sans Clemson) during this stretch.

With 0-3 staring him straight in the face after Saturday, it'll still be a significant uphill struggle to get to .500 in conference. Actually, at this point in time, I have absolutely no reason to believe that we pull out a W at VPI after the bye week. I think the odds makers will have us as dawgs going into that affair, with 0-4 being quite realistic.

I don't understand your question. What do you mean, "won?" The games haven't been played yet. I think you may have misinterpreted -- I was saying, win 4 out of the last 5 games OF THE SEASON. Upcoming games, post FSU.

We started out 4-0. Need to win 4 out of 5 of our remaining games to have a pretty good year.

They are peer programs to finish the year off with.

If we go 4-1 or 5-0 then we are in a good spot under Babers

8-4 / 9-3 is commendable and a good year.

If we go 3-2 / 2-3 it's up for debate, but better than our recent historical trending has been.

If we go 1-4 or 0-5 then it's lights out and starting from scratch again

Before UNC, I thought we could do 4-1/3-2 with the last five. That UNC game has really given me pause.

A nine win season would be insane. That's not just commendable. If he gets to nine wins, that's incredible.

Take the L at FSU but stay healthy. Get our guys right for the final five. And if we can get to 7 or 8 wins, that's a solid year.

I'm just really frustrated when we look unprepared and hurt ourselves vs just getting beat on the field. And it looked like we were giving up during that UNC game. That's a bad sign to me.

Assuming we lose to FSU, all of a sudden a game like VT has a lot of added pressure to win so we're not on a four game slide. I think we should beat VT, but if we're limping into that stadium and take an L, I think the rest of the season can spiral.

Very fair points. After the game next week, I honestly have zero clue what to expect the rest of the season. Nothing either way would surprise me.
Exactly- and therein lies the rub. 2018 was the first time in decades that I had confidence on how we'd perform week to week. Usually,not feels like a crapshoot- one week up, next week flat, next week up again, next week down. Perplexing

Amazing he complains about depth, you’re the coach! Go recruit. Go work harder. If depth is a problem. It’s your fault !
In his defense, he was ASKED about depth. The comments weren't unprompted.

I don't understand your question. What do you mean, "won?" The games haven't been played yet. I think you may have misinterpreted -- I was saying, win 4 out of the last 5 games OF THE SEASON. Upcoming games, post FSU.

We started out 4-0. Need to win 4 out of 5 of our remaining games to have a pretty good year.

Sorry, that should say “win”. You mentioned we need to win 4 out of last 5. I was asking if you thought we would win 4/5 at end of season.

"Always?" For who, you? Certainly it's convenient to say this after the fact, but I don't know if there's any truth to it, it's after all your own train of thought.

No doubt, after the first four (sounds like a NCAA play in deal) the next three were no easy feats. However, I think there were many folks feeling, at least half way decent, about are chances going into the Dome against Clemson, and even at UNC prior to that game.

We'll see how the season plays out, but again, in my view, it's the same 'ol song and dance when it comes to Dino. Which is, one above .500 conference record to date during his 8 year tenure. Not to mention, in a conference that has been pretty mediocre for the most part (sans Clemson) during this stretch.

With 0-3 staring him straight in the face after Saturday, it'll still be a significant uphill struggle to get to .500 in conference. Actually, at this point in time, I have absolutely no reason to believe that we pull out a W at VPI after the bye week. I think the odds makers will have us as dawgs going into that affair, with 0-4 being quite realistic.
After the fact?

Yeah, that’s wrong.

Outside of Clemson (who we are competitive with every year) and FSU (meh) how is that so? Half the Big East is in the ACC. Running into Lamar Jackson or Drake Maye is a problem but that happens.
FSU is an SEC type school in the ACC. FSU, Clemson are just operating at a different level to the WF, Syracuse, BC model. I'm just saying they are playing a completely different sport with their depth levels.

We CAN play with anyone in the country when we are healthy and/or have transcendant skill position guys (as someone said, we had graves, mcnabb for 8 years straight...that's production at the highest position).

However, the depth situation makes us a weak step child against the schools who have 3 deep. In the 90s we would have been grinded more in the SEC than the Big East too when we had success.

FSU is an SEC type school in the ACC. FSU, Clemson are just operating at a different level to the WF, Syracuse, BC model. I'm just saying they are playing a completely different sport with their depth levels.

We CAN play with anyone in the country when we are healthy and/or have transcendant skill position guys (as someone said, we had graves, mcnabb for 8 years straight...that's production at the highest position).

However, the depth situation makes us a weak step child against the schools who have 3 deep. In the 90s we would have been grinded more in the SEC than the Big East too when we had success.

Yeah so two schools out of 14, and one of those two we have constant weird close games just about every year. Not sure that means we are in the wrong conference - there certainly isn't an existing conference today or next season that's better for us.

This is also why the school went out and helped start a new collective where fans can actually donate. that wasn’t in place until a few weeks ago.

I donated last year to the other collectives. Don’t know why their links aren’t working right now.

I donated last year to the other collectives. Don’t know why their links aren’t working right now.
I thought that was weird too as I remember the same thing.

i donated last year to the other collectives. Don’t know why their links aren’t working right now.
I know the school wants you to support the new one if you have a choice. There’s more transparency and there will be professional management vs a one off booster doing things. Our Syr Fan collective was more transparent than the other ones.

Stuff like that is why we’re in the position we are. How can that not have been in place. It’s always catch up and never ahead of the curve.
We were def behind half the conference at least. Add that to our decades of crappy fundraising and no facilities planning….and you end up where we are. I honestly think it’s amazing we’ve done as well in non rev sports as we have during that timeframe (and that has occurred a lot post Gross spending like a drunken sailor which ultimately set us back too). There are many many factors that have contributed to where we currently are.

A great basketball program covered a lot of warts for a long time. We need Red to get things rolling again.

I know the school wants you to support the new one if you have a choice. There’s more transparency and there will be professional management vs a one off booster doing things. Our Syr Fan collective was more transparent than the other ones.
And we were up and running before the others too!

I’m not sure how much transparency is needed. I rarely see from any school how much money a player got from a collective. It’s the end result that matters. And I know many athletes got NIL that kept them here or were able to bring them in from elsewhere. And I’m not sure why SU would be against Lally and his collective. I think the more the merrier.

I’m not sure how much transparency is needed. I rarely see from any school how much money a player got from a collective. It’s the end result that matters. And I know many athletes got NIL that kept them here or were able to bring them in from elsewhere. And I’m not sure why SU would be against Lally and his collective. I think the more the merrier.
Based upon your posts, I know you're interested in the NIL numbers. I suggest you get a copy of the most recent Sports Illustrated (I still get it in print). It had the most fact based NIL articles and numbers I have seen from any reliable source.

One article focused on Blake Corum and his Michigan teammates. I was shocked by what they were making annually. I had thought the sums had been exaggerated but there is some crazy money being thrown around.

Of course Michigan is a powerhouse with a powerhouse alumni base but I was still amazed. Players making more in college than their NFL rookie contracts would pay.

Also, touched on the angle that alot of players are more marketable now than they will ever be in their lives and the money is so important for those that may never play professionally.

Anyway, lots of great NIL stuff from a relatively reputable source for anyone that is interested in this new world of college athletics.

Based upon your posts, I know you're interested in the NIL numbers. I suggest you get a copy of the most recent Sports Illustrated (I still get it in print). It had the most fact based NIL articles and numbers I have seen from any reliable source.

One article focused on Blake Corum and his Michigan teammates. I was shocked by what they were making annually. I had thought the sums had been exaggerated but there is some crazy money being thrown around.

Of course Michigan is a powerhouse with a powerhouse alumni base but I was still amazed. Players making more in college than their NFL rookie contracts would pay.

Also, touched on the angle that alot of players are more marketable now than they will ever be in their lives and the money is so important for those that may never play professionally.

Anyway, lots of great NIL stuff from a relatively reputable source for anyone that is interested in this new world of college athletics.
I just got done reading that issue today. The NIL info was very interesting.

And currently ranked #2. Hmm. Wonder if there is a relationship?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom