Dino's Signing Day Presser 1 PM | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Signing Day Presser 1 PM

Not going to defend Dino not going to at least a few local games lol come on. We’ll be there in time to scout the diamonds in the rough by the time bc and pitt do too.

Not going to defend Dino not going to at least a few local games lol come on. We’ll be there in time to scout the diamonds in the rough by the time bc and pitt do too.
There are other things to complain about. This isn’t one of them.

There are other things to complain about. This isn’t one of them.
Not being a presence in the programs hometown, a region of Over 500,000 people, isn’t great when WNY’s already been forfeit to pitt and psu, and NYC’s all but rutgers/nd/etc.

Not being a presence in the programs hometown, a region of Over 500,000 people, isn’t great when WNY’s already been forfeit to pitt and psu, and NYC’s all but rutgers/nd/etc.
The connection between not seeing some local games live and our recruiting woes in the area is faint, maybe not even existent at all

The connection between not seeing some local games live and our recruiting woes in the area is faint, maybe not even existent at all

Us not winning is clearly a bigger factor. But I’m not sure how you can say not being present, even marginally, in the local HS scene isn’t a factor too?

Us not winning is clearly a bigger factor. But I’m not sure how you can say not being present, even marginally, in the local HS scene isn’t a factor too?
When exactly should he have gone? It’s not like it’s Dino’s off season.
And are you sure it wouldn’t be a violation of the quiet period rules?

Last edited:
I don't agree. Your head coach is your closer. Not many head coaches get out to local games.

When I recruited in college baseball, my job was to go to all the games and have the head guy build the relationship once I got the recruit on campus that I liked.

During the season, you really don't want to send the message that your HC is leaving practice early to go visit a high school team.

And Dino doesn't have to get out when it is in the dome. You are going to have people on staff to video the games to get you your intel. People act like he can actually talk to the recruits depending on where it falls in the calendar.
It’s just complaining to complain. We have a portion of the board that probably majored in that in college.

Coaches all over the country attend HS games.
Of specific high level recruits. I don’t think they are going just to get out in the local area.

Let's just say that if you were to check Twitter for local high school programs, just this fall Rutgers, Pitt, UB, UConn, Virginia, Minnesota, UMass, Toledo, Ohio, Akron, Kent State, James Madison, Coastal Carolina, and Temple have visited or sent a representative of their programs to various section 3 schools to at least make an appearance. This doesn't include all the lower level programs that found time to do so as well.

The first mention I have seen of Syracuse visiting a local program was to CBA about a week ago - they could have done so earlier in the fall and I'm not aware which of they did. If they did that's great and I'd hope they would visit when they can.

The point is we are not making ourselves known to the football community within section 3,4,5. Our representatives our not out there. The tours they did a while back as corny as they may have been are what's needed. They may have been costly or boring or not everyone's cup of tea, but we need to do more to get more communication and involvement to the community and build up a fan base over time.

It’s just complaining to complain. We have a portion of the board that probably majored in that in college.
Wrong. It's part of the job and it's part of building a successful program.

Just as an aside. I remember when Brian Hooper years ago played for Auburn. In the stands at Holland Stadium in a game against Henn or Corcoran, there were representatives from Nebraska, Michigan, And Syracuse, watching and scribbling notes.

This is a Friday in October.

Back when travel and communication were way different.

Now I don't know if they were coaches or what ... Regional scouts? But the fact they found their way to upstate New York during season showed they had legit interest in who they were recruiting. That's a commitment on their end that shows how bad they wanted a commitment from the prospect.

Just as an aside. I remember when Brian Hooper years ago played for Auburn. In the stands at Holland Stadium in a game against Henn or Corcoran, there were representatives from Nebraska, Michigan, And Syracuse, watching and scribbling notes.

Now I don't know if they were coaches or what ... Regional scouts? But the fact they found their way to upstate New York during season showed they had legit interest in who they were recruiting. That's a commitment on their end that shows how bad they wanted a commitment from the prospect.

Were those head coaches there? Those were likely assistant coaches who had that area, which does happen and did happen for Syracuse this year.

People are specifically complaining about Babers not going to a local game, which is ridiculous.

Yeah and there's a difference between expecting to see some presence from the program at local HS programs' games and demanding that the head coach be present at random Friday night high school football games.

I would expect him to make a presence at a local game for a priority recruit in an attempt to close, but I don't expect him to randomly show up at games. He has more important things to focus on. That's what assistants are for, IF they are scouting someone. If not, I could care less.

Yeah and there's a difference between expecting to see some presence from the program and demanding that the head coach be present at Friday night high school games. Demanding Dino be there is idiotic, unless it's in the waning stages of trying to close on a priority recruit, so I stand by what I said.
Jimmy B found lots of time to attend JD games, just saying

And he was doing that the night before his team was playing? Remember, Dino has what, 3 months to attend HS Football games? Half of those weeks his own team is on the road so you can forget those weeks. Outside of the one bye week, every other game night precedes his team playing in the dome the next day. I want our HC planning for those games the night before not ass grabbing at HS Football games.

The only exception I would make to that is if he is trying to close on a priority recruit. Now maybe JB has been to HS games the night before his team plays trying to close on a priority recruit. But I doubt he just randomly shows up at HS games the night before his team plays.

Last edited:
In hoops there's twice as many games. Sometimes 3 games a week. More opportunities to watch games. Football is once a week on a Friday night or Saturday afternoon.

Its not easy catching a HS game for college coaches. Its actually kinda hard to catch a random game for HS coaches. I rather have DIno watching HS games during his bye at a school with multiple prospects we have a chance to land. If he can appear at a local game here and there, cool but Im not bothered if he misses them for good reasons.

Agreed it's certainly not good but at this point we know he is coming back, we need someone to be our OC and move the needle. One way or another things will be clearer next year and Dino will either win and go bowling or we will have a new coach and move on. Until then, here's to hoping things go well.

Put that on the season ticket renewal form! I can't pull out my wallet fast enough!

I think Ben watched Patulski a couple of times his junior year...Saw coaches en mass at a North v Eastwood game back in 55. A bunch of us went to see a few players, 2 who made it to SU. Griffin Park in Liverpool reserved an area that was for coaches, some from D1 schools back in the early 60s. Buddy Hardiman QB for Auburn High had coaches from 3 SEC schools at that old rock pile of a stadium, ended up at Alabama. Maloney usually drove down the Thruway to Rochester and Buffalo to take in a game or two. Mac usually sent position coaches.

Id rather see Dino watching HS games in Georgia or Florida. Go where the talent is.

We don't exactly have to foster relationships with CNS HS coaches because of some kid playing pop warner right now.

I don’t care if it’s Dino Babers, but I would like to see someone from Syracuse at some of these local games.

There is talent there, not a lot but there is.

It also gets the community more involved in the football program and lord knows we need as much as that as we can get.

The more interest the more money. The more money the better the team

I don’t care if it’s Dino Babers, but I would like to see someone from Syracuse at some of these local games.

It also gets the community more involved in the football program and lord knows we need as much as that as we can get.

They can send Maddox over there.

Grayson HS in Georgia has had 33 division one players over the past 5 years. Buffalo/Syracuse/Rochester/Albany all high schools combined hasn't had that many in 20 years.

Which local player(s) do you think a member of the coaching staff should have gone to see personally?

Didn’t a fair number of local players get invited to attend a home game as a guest this season?

In my experience, watching film is a much more efficient way of identifying talent than actually watching a game in person. Coaches usually attend games in person as a way to show interest in a player they have already identified and really want.

During the season, coaches are on the road for away games half the time. The other half of the time the team is in a hotel the night before the game during which time they have various team meetings and a team meal.

Going to a game simply to build interest in the community for your program may not be the best use of a head coach’s time.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom