Dino's Signing Day Presser | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Signing Day Presser

Dino Babers on his 2021 class: "We wanted to get bigger-sized people." Believes this group, combined with last year's guys who essentially played a free year, will be SU's best class of freshmen. Praises commits for their faith. Four never saw campus, five never met an SU coach.

Dino Babers thinks his staff addressed some of its offensive line issues by bringing in five guys today. Size was an emphasis. Development now the question.

Asked Dino Babers whether he sees some of Eric Dungey in signee Justin Lamson. "I don't want to put that tag on him." Mentions another of his former QBs, Jimmy G, in that both he & Lamson started playing HS ball on defense. DB mentioned Lamson's leadership skills as a strength.

Babers on Lamson's mobility: "I think he's a very good athlete. I think he can extend plays. And I think his legs are something that could be an advantage." SU may have faster QBs on roster as far as straight-line speed, but "there's some courage about him. No doubt."

Dino Babers thinks RB signee Josh Hough can "fill the role" of a bigger back in SU's offense. "We thought we had our big back last year. Marlowe (Wax) came in and told us that he really had a desire to play linebacker." Wax ended up as one of SU's best 'backers in 2020.

Dino Babers with the long view on Syracuse: "I want to get this place to the point where we can be consistent winners. And that's going to take time." He knows time is limited. That's part of what makes him enjoy his job.

Dino Babers said he doesn't "have a firm number" on how many of his players (presumably seniors/redshirt juniors) will return. He also still needs to reach out to some other guys to check in with their situations. "For the most part, I won't know until January."

Dino Babers on Kingsley Jonathan, Josh Black and Airon Servais returning: "Here's the thing. I'm really excited that they want to hang around with me for another year. I thought they were tired of me."

Dino Babers said playing a lot of freshmen last year was largely due to uncontrolled circumstances, but emphasized that he's always trying to play the best player -- regardless of age.

Dino Babers on Hawaiians Austyn Kauhi and Kalan Ellis: "Both of those young men are from some very fine, academic high schools." Guys don't go that far without education being part of the equation, Babers said, adding that his ties to Hawaii helped with comfortability.

Dino Babers said his program went 160-170 days without a positive Covid-9 test. He understands why other schools are declining bowl bids. "It was exhausting. This season was exhausting. ... It really was taxing to play game after game after game and not have your parents there."

Dino Babers estimates that his staff has evaluated less than five of the 19 players his team signed today in-person due to the pandemic. The hardest position to eval from afar is QB, Babers said.

Fixed after Dino clarified: Dino Babers estimates that he has evaluated less than five of the 19 players his team signed today in-person due to the pandemic. The hardest position to eval from afar is QB, Babers said.

Dino Babers: "I really feel good about" tape and intel from HS coaches about the 19 signees despite evaluation limitations this year. "I'm not going to lose sleep over this one. I think we've got a really, really good batch."

Last edited:
Reportedly ranked 12th in ACC and 53rd nationally by 24/7. Only beat Duke and Wake in ACC. Many of our eastern peers were rated higher.

When is the recruiting uptick supposed to happen? This is Year 6. I think it is a reasonable question. That some here think unreasonable. But in year 6 I think it deserves to be asked and answered.

Honestly, I just don't see recruiting progress under this staff and don't expect to at this point. It is what it is.

Reportedly ranked 12th in ACC and 53rd nationally by 24/7. Only beat Duke and Wake in ACC. Many of our eastern peers were rated higher.

When is the recruiting uptick supposed to happen? This is Year 6. I think it is a reasonable question. That some here think unreasonable. But in year 6 I think it deserves to be asked and answered.

Honestly, I just don't see recruiting progress under this staff and don't expect to at this point. It is what it is.

You certainly stay on point and drive it home. What in the last 15-20 years would make you think that Syracuse would bring in a top 25 recruiting class? Do you think another coach would bring in a top 25 class? Seriously. Is Lance Leipold the answer to all our problems? Joe Moorhead!! He can get it done!!! ( and I Like both coaches don't get me wrong. I just think you are delusional. Who in the ACC would you expect to out recruit other than Wake and or Duke? Both Pitt and BC have some advantages that have been discussed at nauseum, sure maybe with some on field success I can see going past them in certain years but certainly not right now. All that said I think best you will ever see is maybe 8-9th in ACC. That's it

Last edited:
You certainly stay on point and drive it home. What in the last 15-20 years would make you think that Syracuse would bring in a top 25 recruiting class? Do you think another coaching could bring in a top 25 class? Seriously. Is Lance Leipold the answer to all our problems? Joe Moorhead!! He can get it done!!! ( and I Like both coaches don't get me wrong. I just think you are delusional
Not those guys you referenced. But some other guys could. It is possible. Does not even have to be Top 25.

Say Top 35 or Top 40. That is very competitive. You don't want to be the outlier in the 50's and 60's every year

It's a reasonable observation. Two things: First, there are specific needs that may be filled with players who are somewhat under the radar (OL for example). And, there are JUCO/transfers that may yet come to provide immediate help.

Also, Chestnut and Hough are 4 stars that have not been given the credit they deserve by rating services..

Its hard to look at Sean Tucker, Andre Cisco, Trill Williams, Mikel Jones, Jahad Carter, Steph Thompson, Marlowe Wax and a few others without acknowledging that maybe Dino’s not bringing in “higher rated” classes, but he’s revolutionizing the type of player (size, athleticism, day 1 readiness) that Syracuse signs to build depth to compete in the ACC. I say this as an outspoken critic in 2020 of Babers as a head coach. He’s seized some opportunities to chef me some crow.

DL, OL and WR seemed to be a focus in this class. Hopefully they pan out like Dino’s efforts with the DB’s, LB’s and RB’s have

You certainly stay on point and drive it home. What in the last 15-20 years would make you think that Syracuse would bring in a top 25 recruiting class? Do you think another coach would bring in a top 25 class? Seriously. Is Lance Leipold the answer to all our problems? Joe Moorhead!! He can get it done!!! ( and I Like both coaches don't get me wrong. I just think you are delusional. There's a food chain here that you are ignorning. Who in the ACC would you expect to out recruit other than Wake and or Duke? Both Pitt and BC have some advantages that have been discussed at nauseum
Idk about top 25 but you see pitt at 30 and think we should at least be near them

Its hard to look at Sean Tucker, Andre Cisco, Trill Williams, Mikel Jones, Jahad Carter, Steph Thompson, Marlowe Wax and a few others without acknowledging that maybe Dino’s not bringing in “higher rated” classes, but he’s revolutionizing the type of player (size, athleticism, day 1 readiness) that Syracuse signs to build depth to compete in the ACC. I say this as an outspoken critic in 2020 of Babers as a head coach. He’s seized some opportunities to chef me some crow.

DL, OL and WR seemed to be a focus in this class. Hopefully they pan out like Dino’s efforts with the DB’s, LB’s and RB’s have
You have to go by overall numbers. Every team could mention good individual players. It is the depth of the class and quality of depth. Teams like Clemson overwhelm everyone with talent depth in numbers. Not just anectdotal references to three players from one class, 3 more from another.

Idk about top 25 but you see pitt at 30 and think we should at least be near them
Anything 40 and under is quality. Not Top 10, but I could write the same Top 10 recruiting classes every year. Never change. That is one of problems of college FB. Lack of competitive balance at top. Probably an unsolvable problem. It does make it boring. Get ready for Clemson-Alabama VI or whatever it is now. Same teams. Every year. Snore.

You want to get at least in 30's. That is very respectable

Pitt is in a state with 10X better prospects than NY. not saying we shouldn't strive for improvement in recruiting, but don't think they are a fair comparison. We haven't recruited at a high level since the 90s, don't think that is going to change too much, we have to develop and we have to hit the transfer portal where it is a bit easier to bring in high end kids who may not have looked our way in high school

It's a reasonable observation. Two things: First, there are specific needs that may be filled with players who are somewhat under the radar (OL for example). And, there are JUCO/transfers that may yet come to provide immediate help.

Also, Chestnut and Hough are 4 stars that have not been given the credit they deserve by rating services..

Recruiting rankings are a crapshoot, and also - crap.

Hough was our LOWEST RATED croot for almost all of this cycle.
He did - FINALLY - get bumped up to a 3*, but in reality, he should be a 4*

Duce Chesnut WAS a 4*.

... until literally the day he committed to Cuse.
Then he was (inexplicably) downgraded.

While he's still our highest ranked guy in this class, it's absurd the amount of BS politics and $$$ that go into recruiting rankings, and how arbitrary and capricious they can be.

Regardless of the "ranking" - it's pretty clear that Dino & crew have had a good eye for finding young guys who can contribute right away, going back to Andre Cisco, Andre Szmyt, Trill, etc - and then to Bergeron and Mikel Jones, and now all the young LB's and DB's.

Pitt has gone to how many straight bowl games?
And they put guys into the NFL on the regular.

Until and unless we can do that, we're not going to recruit as well as they do.

We have the Western PA pipeline in our background as well? Pitt has also have more on field success the last 15 years. I bet there are a lot of Western PA kids that when the Penn St offer does not come Pitt probably the next best thing

What makes me think that Syracuse can bring in higher rated classes is that many similar Universities/programs are able to bring in higher rated classes.
Very true. Just saying, "it can't be done" is silly. Can anyone tell me it is impossible for Syracuse to reach #35?...ridiculous. Top 10 or Top 20? Virtually impossible, at least not feasible to expect of a coach. That is a very high bar.
Top 35? Possible. I'd say quite possible. Need right guy. That simple. Recruiter who has a staff of recruiters. They are out there.

You have to go by overall numbers. Every team could mention good individual players. It is the depth of the class and quality of depth. Teams like Clemson overwhelm everyone with talent depth in numbers. Not just anectdotal references to three players from one class, 3 more from another.

We will never be Clemson. We’re in the process of building depth. Our sweet spot for recruiting should be top 45 classes plus a focus on player development. Two players from 2018’s class are heading to the draft, so far. I wouldn’t be shocked if multiple from 2019 and 2020 do too.

Very true. Just saying, "it can't be done" is silly. Can anyone tell me it is impossible for Syracuse to reach #35?...ridiculous. Top 10 or Top 20? Virtually impossible, at least not feasible to expect of a coach. That is a very high bar.
Top 35? Possible. I'd say quite possible. Need right guy. That simple. Recruiter who has a staff of recruiters. They are out there.

What schools would those be? Recruiter who has a staff of recruiters has been the cure of for everything for 25 years.

We have the Western PA pipeline in our background as well? Pitt has also have more on field success the last 15 years. I bet there are a lot of Western PA kids that when the Penn St offer does not come Pitt probably the next best thing
for some odd reason they (along with BC) recruit upstate NY better too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom