Dino's Signing Day Presser | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Signing Day Presser

Going to more bowls + the money raised by ADJW to improve the program infrastructure should get SU into the top 40 range. Still a little below Pitt but PA has more local talent than NYS. Unless the local talent pool in NYS improves a lot I don't expect to do much better than that.

Even then, sometimes recruiting ratings are a crap shoot. Programs with higher ratings end up underachieving and programs with less ratings end up overachieving.

You certainly stay on point and drive it home. What in the last 15-20 years would make you think that Syracuse would bring in a top 25 recruiting class? Do you think another coach would bring in a top 25 class? Seriously. Is Lance Leipold the answer to all our problems? Joe Moorhead!! He can get it done!!! ( and I Like both coaches don't get me wrong. I just think you are delusional. Who in the ACC would you expect to out recruit other than Wake and or Duke? Both Pitt and BC have some advantages that have been discussed at nauseum, sure maybe with some on field success I can see going past them in certain years but certainly not right now. All that said I think best you will ever see is maybe 8-9th in ACC. That's it

Where did he say a top 25 recruiting class was his expectation? He stated it ranked 12th out of 14th in the ACC, so that would place us at the bottom half of our conference, yet again. He also referenced being behind our eastern peers. My interpretation of that is that it would be nice to place ahead of Pitt, BC, etc. and the like, at least on occasion.

Your post just further solidifies how one's own thinking is 100% the property of its owner.

Last edited:
Where did he say a top 25 recruiting class was his expectation? He stated it ranked 12th out of 14th in the ACC, so that would place us at the bottom half. He also referenced being behind our eastern peers. My interpretation of that is that it would be nice to place ahead of Pitt, BC, etc. and the like.

Your post is just further proof of how one's own thinking is 100% the property of its owner.

And I asked why he thinks we should be ahead of BC and Pitt at this point. Then he said top 35? Which I guess is fine but do people really believe there is a huge difference between 52 and 39? or 47 and 36? Really? Ill trust the coaches who recruit the kids versus internet wannabees. ( no disrespect Bees)

If you think Syracuse will ever be top half of the ACC in football recruiting you are delusional as well

We will never be Clemson. We’re in the process of building depth. Our sweet spot for recruiting should be top 45 classes plus a focus on player development. Two players from 2018’s class are heading to the draft, so far. I wouldn’t be shocked if multiple from 2019 and 2020 do too.
I agree that mid 40's is our sweet spot - I also think Clemson wasn't Clemson pre-Dabo, once he leaves they drop back to what they always were - a good but not great football school.

Did he mention # of transfers? Position? When?
Any additional 2001 H.S. signees?

I agree that mid 40's is our sweet spot - I also think Clemson wasn't Clemson pre-Dabo, once he leaves they drop back to what they always were - a good but not great football school.

Agreed a guy like Dabo doesn't get replaced or a Saban unless you replace him with Dabo! :) :) :)

Dabo’s no doubt a big reason, but the money being flexed at Clemson will sustain that prominence for years to come. Thats my opinion though

And I asked why he thinks we should be ahead of BC and Pitt at this point. Then he said top 35? Which I guess is fine but do people really believe there is a huge difference between 52 and 39? or 47 and 36? Really? Ill trust the coaches who recruit the kids.

I don't know if there's really a huge difference or not. However, one can't deny where are rankings have been in the conference vs. where we have consistently placed. So, whether rankings are a crap shoot or not as others rationalize, our standing in the league has pretty much fallen right where the recruiting rankings have suggested.

It would be interesting to see how folks around here viewed our recruiting rankings if we ever did land a top 25 class? When we land a top 10 recruiting class in hoops (albeit that hasn't been for a while now) I don't ever recall folks around here saying how full of chit those pundit rankings are.

Edit: Since you added this below after I quoted your original post above, I'll just point out that I never alluded that Syracuse should be able to recruit in the top half of the ACC, again, your words based upon your own thinking.

"If you think Syracuse will ever be top half of the ACC in football recruiting you are delusional as well."

Last edited:
I think we are getting better athletes. Can we improve on the recruiting front - for sure, but honestly my bigger concern is scheme and development. Jury is still out for me on that.

The development is concern right now for sure and EVERY position. It's 100% the most critical for a Syracuse football to be successful, not a 41st recruiting class versus 52. I feel like this guy

We have the Western PA pipeline in our background as well? Pitt has also have more on field success the last 15 years. I bet there are a lot of Western PA kids that when the Penn St offer does not come Pitt probably the next best thing
Small steps would be that we’re a player for more talent coming out of Rochester and Buffalo.

Top 35? Possible. I'd say quite possible. Need right guy. That simple. Recruiter who has a staff of recruiters. They are out there.
Syracuse is one of the hardest recruiting sells in P5. Out of the way location (4 hours from NYC and Philly and 5 hours from Boston doesn't make it close to them), no local talent, weather, lack of consistent success in current high schoolers lifetimes.

For Syracuse to out recruit half the P5 would take a coaching staff that no one knows about (and is therefore in Cuse's price range) who can recruit their brains out and an army of bagmen Cuse has never had.

Last edited:
Idk about top 25 but you see pitt at 30 and think we should at least be near them

Not really if you follow high school football. Over half of their recruiting class is from closer than our closest commit and 3 of their top 4 recruits are within 30 mins of campus.

Western PA has some serious talent every year (thankfully we got one of them this year). It's not like NY has a ton of local talent that we're missing on every year, football is taken much more seriously down here and it shows.

NYS had 2 4-star players and 12 3-stars this year of which Cuse got 3. 11 of those 14 are from NYC 4+ hours from campus.

PA by contrast had 2 5-stars, 9 4-stars, and 45 3-stars of which Cuse got 2. Considering PA has 6.7 million less people than NY that certainly tells a story

Last edited:
for some odd reason they (along with BC) recruit upstate NY better too

Fore sure and probably because they go to bowl games every year as well!! They have more success on the field, Pitt has better talent locally to recruit and BC as a jesuit/ catholic university has a bevy of similarly affiliated prep and high schools to recruit from almost nationwide or at least the Northeast and Midwest. SO there is that! people don't want to hear that though, remember NO EXCUSES!!!

Winning games consistently would certainly help as well!!!

I think A LOT and I mean A LOT of people on here sell Syracuse WAY short of what it actually is.

Right now is it possible to be recruiting in the top half of the ACC? No.

However, when Dino came in and promised everyone belief without evidence and consistently good not occasionally great, we should be looking at middle of the road ACC rankings, on par with BC and Pitt, etc.

However, at this current time, the only thing Dino has brought us was occasionally great. I’m hoping we start to see the consistently good very soon and with that, I expect to work our way up the ACC rankings.

I think A LOT and I mean A LOT of people on here sell Syracuse WAY short of what it actually is.

Right now is it possible to be recruiting in the top half of the ACC? No.

However, when Dino came in and promised everyone belief without evidence and consistently good not occasionally great, we should be looking at middle of the road ACC rankings, on par with BC and Pitt, etc.

However, at this current time, the only thing Dino has brought us was occasionally great. I’m hoping we start to see the consistently good very soon and with that, I expect to work our way up the ACC rankings.

what would you prefer he say?

Syracuse is one of the hardest recruiting sells in P5. Out of the way location (4 hours from NYC and Philly and 5 hours from Boston doesn't make it close to them), no local talent, weather, lack of consistent success in current high schoolers lifetimes.

For Syracuse to out recruit half the P5 would take a coaching staff that no one knows about (and is therefore in Cuse's price range) who can recruit their brains out and an army of bagmen Cuse has never had.

We have had 4-5 staffs that have tried and failed but it's the next guy!!! It's not the path to success for Syracuse by any means. Take the long approach, develop the kids for your systems and win games consistently. Special seasons with great group of seniors ( And I am not saying Dino has done this so far) I am just saying that it's what Syracuse needs to do

what would you prefer he say?

I’m repeating what he stated my friend.

You can not argue that under Dino Babers we have been consistently good. We have been occasionally great. That’s a fact.

I’m saying if we had been already starting to be consistently good...Camping World in 18, Random Bowl in 19 and a bowl this season, we would be starting to climb up the charts for recruiting rankings

We have the Western PA pipeline in our background as well? Pitt has also have more on field success the last 15 years. I bet there are a lot of Western PA kids that when the Penn St offer does not come Pitt probably the next best thing
During the 90s we were getting some really good recruits , I don’t remember the class rankings,if we had followed up 2018 with a couple more 8-10 win seasons we probably move up into the 40s or 30s but as you said not much further. Would have to have a 91 or 87 season to climb any higher.

There are a limited set of blue chippers that are consensus and any dope can see those kids are high potential players. After that it's marginal grading with a heavy dose of recency bias and agendas.

What's clear is that this years class is better than the one before, and that class put a lot of guys on the field last year that made plays.

Believe every single recruit is at least six foot. The kids on both lines are significantly ahead of where kids have been in the past in terms of weight and height.

I’m repeating what he stated my friend.

You can not argue that under Dino Babers we have been consistently good. We have been occasionally great. That’s a fact.

I’m saying if we had been already starting to be consistently good...Camping World in 18, Random Bowl in 19 and a bowl this season, we would be starting to climb up the charts for recruiting rankings

Right and obviously it's been a rough road, would you rather and incoming coach state that we are going to have 4 out of 5 losing seasons?

Right and obviously it's been a rough road, would you rather and incoming coach state that we are going to have 4 out of 5 losing seasons?

that’s not the point that I’m getting at but okay my dude!

Just a statement about the performance of this team and why our recruiting rankings aren’t higher and why we have yet to see better recruiting classes.

There are a limited set of blue chippers that are consensus and any dope can see those kids are high potential players. After that it's marginal grading with a heavy dose of recency bias and agendas.

What's clear is that this years class is better than the one before, and that class put a lot of guys on the field last year that made plays.

Believe every single recruit is at least six foot. The kids on both lines are significantly ahead of where kids have been in the past in terms of weight and height.
By all means, though, let's dump our coaches and hire a new gang, with a contract stipulation that if you don't finish in position X or above within the ACC's recruiting classes, according to the Oracle at 247, YOU'RE TOAST. One year! Get out of town! 9th in the ACC? Worthless!

(But weren't some saying that Dino fired the coaches he did, last year, to get better recruiters? Guessing that some posters weren't around for that talk.)

Don’t ask about things improving. SU will always suck, the best coach we can hope for is one that has one winning season out of 5. We’ll never do better than that, we’ll never recruit better. Just accept that we’re headed toward improvement, you don’t need evidence of that, so stop asking. Don’t forget, those posters are right and you’re wrong. So don’t ask questions. Don’t provide facts, facts don’t matter. Welcome to 2020.

that’s not the point that I’m getting at but okay my dude!

Just a statement about the performance of this team and why our recruiting rankings aren’t higher and why we have yet to see better recruiting classes.

A BIG part of it is - Syracuse fans don't pay for the pay recruiting sites.
So, our recruits tend to be underrated, compared to schools who have a large following on those.

Also - for whatever reason SUNJ has TWO shills who are "higher-ups" at a certain site, and they consistently OVERrate Rutty's croots, and downgrade ours.
Which then gets carried into the composite rankings that other sites use.

The best gauge of our recruiting is:
Who are their other offers? Are we beating out peer P5's for these kids?
What about player height/weight/speed - are they taller, bigger, and faster than prior?
How are the performing when they get here?

ALL of these have been trending in the right direction the past few classes, including this one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom