Dino's Week 12 Press Conference for Duke | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 12 Press Conference for Duke

"I think the big thing is we're trying to get a change. ... I just think that we weren't moving in the direction that we needed to be moving in." Describes the decision as "really personal" and mentions the toll taken on Ward's family.

Babers on interim DC Steve Stanard and how he figures into long-term plans: "I'm going to keep a blank slate. We're going to see how it goes. And he can start painting his portrait."

Babers on Duke head coach David Cutcliffe: "I can humbly say that that guy is the smartest guy in the room." Big week for a refocusing defense

Babers on freshman RT Matthew Bergeron: "He's getting better. ... He's progressing and getting better, which is what we all need to do."

Babers on defensive scheme: "I'm open to all things." All about matching scheme with personnel. Declines to get into a potential new DC's latitude to bring in his own assistant coaches.

Last edited:
Glad to here Dino is willing to look at another defensive philosophy.

Sounds like the negative recruiting by other coaches is that Dino was leaving SU after this season. Interesting when he said the recruits are most excited about the fact that he is going to be coaching them despite him telling everyone he was not going anywhere.

Dino comes across as being very down about the football team he has in place.

I don't believe it's very common for a new coordinator to 'bring' in assistants. I think that's being overblown here. The assistants work for the head coach not the coordinator. And technique is technique.

It will be a mutual process. If the new DC has a couple of strong suggestions on assistants, I'm sure Dino will listen. Dino will also be selling the candidate on what he has. If they can't agree, he moves onto the next candidate.

He definitely did not seem as positive as normal. Can't blame him after having to fire a close confidant Anyone who has experienced that knows the feeling.

No initial opening comments from Dino. Seemed weird to me and probably the first time he's done that here. Is that a good or bad sign ?

Regardless, beat Duke and there is still hope to save this season.

Go Orange.

He definitely did not seem as positive as normal. Can't blame him after having to fire a close confidant Anyone who has experienced that knows the feeling.

No initial opening comments from Dino. Seemed weird to me and probably the first time he's done that here. Is that a good or bad sign ?

Regardless, beat Duke and there is still hope to save this season.

Go Orange.

He hasn't made opening comments for a few weeks now. Right into the Q&A.

A few things I noted:

On the Ward decision. Was not about the last game or this season. It's been a 5 year review.

"defensive personnel not playing at a high level"

"the biggest thing is they're all excited that i'm going to be here. they know i'm going to be here and that i'm not going anywhere even though thats exactly what i've been telling them. but it's not what they've been hearing from outside sources. so they're excited that we're going to be here and they think that we're on the right track."

He hasn't made opening comments for a few weeks now. Right into the Q&A.
I defer to you, but I just have never really noticed it before. He had atleast said something ( or so I thought).

Phat's comment was the other thing that stuck out to me also.

A few things I noted:

On the Ward decision. Was not about the last game or this season. It's been a 5 year review.

"the biggest thing is they're all excited that i'm going to be here. they know i'm going to be here and that i'm not going anywhere even though thats exactly what i've been telling them. but it's not what they've been hearing from outside sources. so they're excited that we're going to be here and they think that we're on the right track."

last one caught my ear too

A few things I noted:

They must read the internet and think Dino's either getting fired, or he's getting the FSU job.

Kind of a somber press conference( as it should be). What a weird ending to the press conference... sure other programs are using the "he is leaving" card against Syracuse in recruiting but it almost sounded like Dino was saying well we underachieved so badly this year of course I am coming back. Listen I like Dino, I hope he turns it around and is here for 10 more years BUT I just have this bad feeling this guy has two years tops here before he may even be fired. This season was a dumpster fire and now I think although we have a weak non conference schedule next year there are wayyyyy more questions then answers.

They must read the internet and think Dino's either getting fired, or he's getting the FSU job.

I assumed it mostly had to do with last year but I'm sure recruiters had him 1-foot out the door this year to with USC and some others. It seems it's going to be something we always have to deal with and even our own fan board constantly has him 1 foot out the door to so...which I don't think helps.

Kind of a somber press conference( as it should be). What a weird ending to the press conference... sure other programs are using the "he is leaving" card against Syracuse in recruiting but it almost sounded like Dino was saying well we underachieved so badly this year of course I am coming back. Listen I like Dino, I hope he turns it around and is here for 10 more years BUT I just have this bad feeling this guy has two years tops here before he may even be fired. This season was a dumpster fire and now I think although we have a weak non conference schedule next year there are wayyyyy more questions then answers.
Uhhhh fired? He would have to repeat this dumpster for 2 straight years. And that’s assuming we don’t win another game this year. I just do not see us having another bad season like this again when he is here. I think coach is also learning what he took for granted in terms of how to have success in the ACC. He will learn just as all his players are what is needed to grow and have a successful year next year. I see this as a blip on the radar and we level out so to speak next year at 7-5 kind of season. He ain’t going anywhere, if he goes it’s because he wanted to go.

Uhhhh fired? He would have to repeat this dumpster for 2 straight years. And that’s assuming we don’t win another game this year. I just do not see us having another bad season like this again when he is here. I think coach is also learning what he took for granted in terms of how to have success in the ACC. He will learn just as all his players are what is needed to grow and have a successful year next year. I see this as a blip on the radar and we level out so to speak next year at 7-5 kind of season. He ain’t going anywhere, if he goes it’s because he wanted to go.
I hope you are right, but if you are being honest where is the influx of talent that will make us significantly better next year. In fact I am worried about this significant departure of talent even if they under performed all year.

Some are reading WAY too much into Dino's comment about being the coach at Syracuse despite what outside sources say.

#1: This own fan board has talked about losing Dino to another school ...again and again ...and again.

#2: The Syracuse media regurgitated this paranoia and questioned Dino ...to his face ...about the possibility of his departure even right after he signed an extension!

#3: Every college football media outlet before the season said if Dino had an 8 win season he was going to USC

#4: Most likely other teams were telling recruits exactly what they were hearing in the media to start the season --that Dino was a candidate everywhere in the country

I assumed it mostly had to do with last year but I'm sure recruiters had him 1-foot out the door this year to with USC and some others. It seems it's going to be something we always have to deal with and even our own fan board constantly has him 1 foot out the door to so...which I don't think helps.

It's low hanging fruit for competitors. Maybe this season will put some of that to rest, and the local competitors might actually have to work to land their recruits.

I hope you are right, but if you are being honest where is the influx of talent that will make us significantly better next year. In fact I am worried about this significant departure of talent even if they under performed all year.
I get your point and respect your basis of your point, but seeing how the real reason we are so bad is because of our line and specifically our line - next year we may lose other key players but we gain massive experience on the line. It must get better next year because there’s no where else for this ship to go. Our defense will also have more experience at LB which is our Achilles heel on that side. Overall, our Achilles heel’s (OL and LB) will be better by default therefore I believe we are a 7-5 type team.

the D played poorly in the Maryland/BC games/ first half of FSU/parts of the Clemson game.

the oline played poorly in almost every game

we dont need a huge talent upgrade to win the NC st/Pitt games 5-4 vs 3-6 is about 2 plays each game.

is it hard to see the oline playing 1 play in 10 better ? 3 plays in 10?

you get a functional Oline and the talent is pretty close to what we need to compete in almost every other area.

DLine is probably the next biggest need but LB play needs to get better but i think size/scheme can fix some of that as shown be the end of last yr.

We managed to not blow to many RS this yr, thats huge with the WR/RB we didnt have to use.

but we need a 2nd QB with welch leaving too.

and who knows what other teams take a step back, many do every yr.

FSU fired a coach./ BC needs to beat ND or Pitt to go bowling. if Wake doesnt beat Duke we can put them on a 5 game losing streak, NC st needs to win 2 of 3 to go bowling, UL took a big step forward and still needs to win one to go bowling.. No great teams to jump over here Really 1 play maker makes a big difference

and who knows what other teams take a step back, many do every yr.

FSU fired a coach./ BC needs to beat ND or Pitt to go bowling. if Wake doesnt beat Duke we can put them on a 5 game losing streak, NC st needs to win 2 of 3 to go bowling, UL took a big step forward and still needs to win one to go bowling.. No great teams to jump over here Really 1 play maker makes a big difference

Yes, let’s all cross our fingers and hope everyone else we play sucks next year so we can have a successful season. The teams we played this year are pretty bad, BE bad, maybe worse. Let’s hope they’re even worse next year so we have a shot at looking better.

I hope playing a super soft schedule isn’t what’s going to make us feel better. Kind of like everyone trying to convince themselves that MD would be competing for the top of the B10.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom