Dino's Week 3 CMU Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart | Syracusefan.com

Dino's Week 3 CMU Press Conference Notes / Depth Chart

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

What you need to know:

Redshirt junior wide receiver Jamal Custis is listed as a co-starter, along with sophomore Devin Butler. Custis left SU's 30-23 loss to Middle Tennessee State on Saturday with an apparent shoulder injury and returned to the sideline with his arm in a sling.

Redshirt junior defensive back Rodney Williams is listed as the Orange's second-team free safety and strong safety. Williams worked primarily at free safety against MTSU, subbing in for starter Jordan Martin and seeing significant late-game snaps.

Redshirt freshman defensive end Alton Robinson replaced freshman Kingsley Jonathan on the second team. Robinson has played significant snaps in each of SU's first two games, recording three tackles.

Freshman slot receiver Nykeim Johnson is listed as SU's second kick returner rather than redshirt sophomore linebacker Shyheim Cullen.

Last edited:
Regarding the comment about Williams getting significant late game snaps. what was Jordan Martin doing? Was he hurt?

I really think the NCAA has got to step in and do something to prevent the fake injuries. Someone else mentioned it in another thread and I was clamoring for it on Saturday but make the player sit out for the entire possession. If he's really hurt, that's the prudent thing to do. If you want him to come back in, then you must burn a timeout. It's becoming unwatchable with all the delays on top of the TV timeouts and it sucks the air out of the stadium.

I really think the NCAA has got to step in and do something to prevent the fake injuries. Someone else mentioned it in another thread and I was clamoring for it on Saturday but make the player sit out for the entire possession. If he's really hurt, that's the prudent thing to do. If you want him to come back in, then you must burn a timeout. It's becoming unwatchable with all the delays on top of the TV timeouts and it sucks the air out of the stadium.
pacusewife was asking me this question over the weekend, "if they are hurt why wouldn't they have to sit out for the series to make sure it's not worse. At first I kind of shrugged it off and was like that's how it is, but she has a point we really should be looking out a bit better for the players overall welfare.

The "fake injury" had nothing to do with the loss.
I think everyone is on the same page with that, BUT the issue is teams are going to deploy it more and more to stop the up tempo which could one day stop us from winning.

Last edited:

That last one that was the obvious one didn't impact the game because MTSU had already called timeout. And their HC told the kid "you can't do that".

But that showed everyone that they were obviously coached up to do it if this came up. Admirable.

The earlier ones certainly could have had something to do with our loss. How could one know otherwise?

Not sure how you can say that. One team gets extra timeouts and stalls the other teams momentum and major part of the game plan/system.

It was a 7 point game. There was at the very least an illegal substitution penalty they avoided by clearly cheating.

It could have been overcome. There were lots of reasons why we lost - but I don't think it's even fathomable to say it had *nothing* to do with the loss.

Not sure how you can say that. One team gets extra timeouts and stalls the other teams momentum and major part of the game plan/system.

It was a 7 point game. There was at the very least an illegal substitution penalty they avoided by clearly cheating.

It could have been overcome. There were lots of reasons why we lost - but I don't think it's even fathomable to say it had *nothing* to do with the loss.
I can easily say that because I watched the game. And the game against CCSU. It was obvious that the running game was gonna blow chunks. And any DC worth a damn can beat a one dimensional team. At "best", that "fake injury" was an infinitesimally incidental contribution.