Dion being dealt | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Dion being dealt

For the Knicks. Greg Monroe would be a perfect fit.

Add Greg Monroe, and Jimmy Butler. Id take that. And add a Top High Draft pick Jahil Okafor or Emmanuel Mudiay.

Dave debusshre, bill bradley,walt frazier, willis reed, dick barnett, earl monroe,etc. All guys who wanted a ring. No more no less, keep your talent and give me guys that just want to win. Ie san antonio spurs. Heck walt frazier was the best player in the nba early 70,s. The idea is to win the games, not who can gather the most talent.

Of these. Who will def hit the Open market.

Rondo, Love, Aldridge, Gasol.

I know Rondo, and Love have been traded. And scuttle has been Aldridge and Gasol plan/want to stay in place.

Just wish we would have kept Shumpert going forward though. But like the possibilities going forward for the future of the Knicks

Gotta assume JR is the smallest part of this. Going from Dion to him is a lateral move at worst. Getting a protected first and Shumpert are the real acquisitions here. Shump was a bad fit on a Knicks team that flat out didn't care about ever playing defense, but Cleveland has been desperately looking for a defensive C and SG.
I know we are Cuse fans and love waiters. Waiters was not a good fit for Cleveland with Kyrie and Lebron. He is not a spot up catch and shoot player. He is all isolation and he shoots way way to much. He still doesn't understand how to fit in with other players. JR Smith is a better shooter than waiters and is more comfortable in that role. He has no problem being a catch and shoot player and should fit in better with Lebron and Kyrie and love. They need a spot up shooter, not another guy who wants to go isolation one on one. Shumpert might help defensively, but offensively is a mess who refuses to use his athleticism to get to the hoop.

My only question is who is going to be available on the free agent market worthy of all that cap space? I suppose they have so many glaring needs, that it can be used to fill in those holes with some marginal talent. However, they need another star opposite of Anthony to take some of the load off of him.
It's not even about one player. They need to rebuild the whole team and that what they are setting themselves up for now. Shumpert wasn't going to resign and doesn't fit the Phil scheme. Jr had a 7mil option to pick up which he would of so he had to go. Next year will be a whole new team and if they get the right pieces have a chance to be a lot better right away. The only one who lost in this deal,really was dion. He went to a team with two isolation heavy guys in Westbrook and Durant. He might even at this point be the 4th guard to get playing time on the roster behind Westbrook Jackson and Morrow

Not sure why we only got Lou Amundson, Alex Kirk, and Lance Thomas in return (Who, Who, and Who). Ooh and a 2019 Second round pick (Thanks)

Again really wanted to keep the young core. So hated giving up Iman Shumpert.

And yes Knicks do have a young core. Cleanthony Early, Shane Larkin, Tim Hardaway Jr, and Cole Aldrich.

If we end up with Jahil Okafor or Emmanuel Mudiay in the draft. I would go after Greg Monroe and Jimmy Butler. With Melo.

How do you like that team.

For the Knicks. Greg Monroe would be a perfect fit.

Add Greg Monroe, and Jimmy Butler. Id take that. And add a Top High Draft pick Jahil Okafor or Emmanuel Mudiay.
They have no chance at butler, Chicago will not let him leave. Reports are the Knicks like Tobias Harris a lot. He won't be their only add or even their main add

Not sure why we only got Lou Amundson, Alex Kirk, and Lance Thomas in return (Who, Who, and Who). Ooh and a 2019 Second round pick (Thanks)

And yes Knicks do have a young core. Cleanthony Early, Shane Larkin, Tim Hardaway Jr, and Cole Aldrich.
It was a dump of money. They didn't want anyone back they had to keep. Shumpert was not a player they were going to keep. They should have traded him last year when he had decent value. Larkin is gone after the year and Aldrich is not really all that young

They have no chance at butler, Chicago will not let him leave. Reports are the Knicks like Tobias Harris a lot. He won't be their only add or even their main add

Yeah, Tobias Harris does not get my Knicks fan heart revving.

He's actually a really solid upcoming player. Guess you don't know much about him. 22 years old and averaging 18 and 7 I believe.

Yeah I know about him. Spurned and burned Syracuse.

There are many Tobias Harris throughout the NBA. He's good.

My reaction. Eh !!!

Yeah I know about him. Spurned and burned Syracuse.

There are many Tobias Harris throughout the NBA. He's good.

My reaction. Eh !!!
I feel differently and think he would be a nice pick up. He just hitting his stride now. I don't think their are many of him in the NBA. He has a chance based on skill set and athleticism to be a very good player. my reaction is more than eh. But then again you also wanted them to keep shumpert who was terrible.

CuseHulk said:
Not sure why we only got Lou Amundson, Alex Kirk, and Lance Thomas in return (Who, Who, and Who). Ooh and a 2019 Second round pick (Thanks) Again really wanted to keep the young core. So hated giving up Iman Shumpert. And yes Knicks do have a young core. Cleanthony Early, Shane Larkin, Tim Hardaway Jr, and Cole Aldrich. If we end up with Jahil Okafor or Emmanuel Mudiay in the draft. I would go after Greg Monroe and Jimmy Butler. With Melo. How do you like that team.

Not sure why? Saving money and tanking.

Young core? If you're talking 12,11,10,9 on the bench, 3 of those guys have trouble making a good team in the NBA.

They will probably get one of those two guys if they have a top two pick, but one of those guys, Melo and Greg Monroe get them in the right direction but nowhere close to a contender. If Butler does leave the Bulls he's getting a max deal, don't think the Knicks pay that much.

I like this deal for Cleveland.

I'm not a fan of either Dion Waiters or JR Smith. But Smith is more likely and more able to be a space it out 3 point shooter when on with Lebron.

Sure JR Smith is bad and has an extra year -- but they get a good depth defensive guard in Iman Shumpert (perhaps good defensively -- let's see what going to a contender does) and a late first round pick for their troubles. Out of all the 3 Shumpert if he focuses defensively may be the best with Irving, Love, James. Waiters was a poor fit with those 3 -- his bail out of a set and settle for a long 2 act is extremely tiresome at the NBA level.

Cleveland will not have cap space next year anyway.

For Dion a fresh start on a new team where he will feel more wanted initially is good for him. Hopefully he matures as a basketball player and learns what is "efficientt"

Precisely. Been saying this for at least a year re: Waiters. This is a good trade pretty much for everyone.

I like this deal for Cleveland.

I'm not a fan of either Dion Waiters or JR Smith. But Smith is more likely and more able to be a space it out 3 point shooter when on with Lebron.

Sure JR Smith is bad and has an extra year -- but they get a good depth defensive guard in Iman Shumpert (perhaps good defensively -- let's see what going to a contender does) and a late first round pick for their troubles. Out of all the 3 Shumpert if he focuses defensively may be the best with Irving, Love, James. Waiters was a poor fit with those 3 -- his bail out of a set and settle for a long 2 act is extremely tiresome at the NBA level.

Cleveland will not have cap space next year anyway.

For Dion a fresh start on a new team where he will feel more wanted initially is good for him. Hopefully he matures as a basketball player and learns what is "efficientt"

I'm tired of seeing all this talk condemning Dion's offense as being selfish and inefficient. Does he isolate too much? Yes, but he is an amazing scorer out of pick and roll and you can be sure OKC will heavily utilize him in this fashion, just like they do with Westbrook.

Knicks will give the super max to Deandre Jordan and some other player with other establish injury issues. No top Free Agent with any sense has any interest going to that organization.

I hope not if their plan is to run a triangle offense. Not even sure DeAndre Jordan knows what a triangle shape is. He'd be a terrible fit.

If we end up with Jahil Okafor or Emmanuel Mudiay in the draft. I would go after Greg Monroe and Jimmy Butler. With Melo.

How do you like that team.
The Knicks didn't want anyone back. They want as much money as possible this offseason to build a team around Melo.

Shumpert is not good.

That young core you listed is garbage.

I would be fine with Jimmy Butler and another player plus our draft pick to add to Melo.

The Knicks didn't want anyone back. They want as much money as possible this offseason to build a team around Melo.

Shumpert is not good.

That young core you listed is garbage.

I would be fine with Jimmy Butler and another player plus our draft pick to add to Melo.

Knicks fans are going to be sorely disappointed if they're expecting to get Butler. Your best chance at getting an impact player in the free agency this offseason is probably guys like Paul Millsap, Brandon Knight, and Reggie Jackson to be honest. Bulls will match Butler. Magic will likely match Tobias (but I suppose there's a chance they don't if the offer is big enough). Spurs will almost certainly match Kawhi.

Knicks fans are going to be sorely disappointed if they're expecting to get Butler. Your best chance at getting an impact player in the free agency this offseason is probably guys like Paul Millsap, Brandon Knight, and Reggie Jackson to be honest. Bulls will match Butler. Magic will likely match Tobias (but I suppose there's a chance they don't if the offer is big enough). Spurs will almost certainly match Kawhi.
I wouldn't mind Millsap either. Looks more and more like they are going to have to build a good team, not just add 2 stars.

I wouldn't mind Millsap either. Looks more and more like they are going to have to build a good team, not just add 2 stars.

Honestly, might be the way to go. It seems that a lot of teams are starting to have success being built this way. Obviously the Spurs, but this year, the Hawks and Bucks are two teams that are having some strangely good success built on just having a good all around team rather than being star-studded like the Cavs. You could make the same case with the Raptors and Mavs too, though Lowry is playing at an MVP level and the Mavs still have Dirk (though honestly, I'd probably say Monta Ellis has been their best player this year).

Millsap's interesting because you could realistically tandem him with Melo, keeping Melo at the 4. Millsap's pretty underrated.

One other thought - KD's got a good sense for communication. Makes a statement about how he wants Dion to feel loved, and also subtly sneaks in the clear expectation that his role will be to come off the bench. Nicely done.

Honestly, might be the way to go. It seems that a lot of teams are starting to have success being built this way. Obviously the Spurs, but this year, the Hawks and Bucks are two teams that are having some strangely good success built on just having a good all around team rather than being star-studded like the Cavs. You could make the same case with the Raptors and Mavs too, though Lowry is playing at an MVP level and the Mavs still have Dirk (though honestly, I'd probably say Monta Ellis has been their best player this year).
Dearth of stars in the East compared to the West, so you win with balance over highlight talent. At least in the regular season.