Dion being dealt | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Dion being dealt

That would be awesome. What I think is more likely though, because we are talking about Cleveland, is that the Cavs shut James down only to have him and Love opt of their contracts, leaving them with Irving, an injured Sideshow Bob, and JR Smith DEFINITELY picking up his player option.
Irving is very injury prone. It could all go poof now.

I don't think this is bad at all from the Knicks' perspective

JR had a player option for $6M that he was going to exercise - instead NY gets that salary cleared and a $6M trade exception.
Shumpert is good, but has an expiring contract and was probably not going to sign in NY this summer.
As of this moment, the Knicks have the greatest number of ping pong balls. This move increases their chances of that still being the case at the end of the season.
There's enough space now to sign a couple mid-level FAs

Really, this is exactly the kind of move a 5-30 team should be making.

Fireball Jr. said:
No, but I'd bet LeBron signed off on this, which would mean he fell outta love with his boy Dion after working with him for only 2 months.

Wasn't happening from the start.

44cuse

OttoinGrotto said:
When Irving goes down they should sign Delonte West.

And Gilbert Arenas

Cavs get JR and Shumpert from Knicks and a protected #1 from OKC.

OKC gets Waiters

Knicks get 2019 #2 from Cavs and 3 turnips.

I don't think this is bad at all from the Knicks' perspective

JR had a player option for $6M that he was going to exercise - instead NY gets that salary cleared and a $6M trade exception.
Shumpert is good, but has an expiring contract and was probably not going to sign in NY this summer.
As of this moment, the Knicks have the greatest number of ping pong balls. This move increases their chances of that still being the case at the end of the season.
There's enough space now to sign a couple mid-level FAs

Really, this is exactly the kind of move a 5-30 team should be making.

This was a great move and I'm pretty sure the Knicks planned on doing something like this from the get-go. This was not supposed to be a good season for them.

This was a great move and I'm pretty sure the Knicks planned on doing something like this from the get-go. This was not supposed to be a good season for them.

True -- but they weren't supposed to be 5 - 32 bad.

I think this has the potential to be a great move for Dion and it certainly seems like the right thing to do for the Knicks.

What a steal for OKC. They get Dion for what essentially amounts to a late 1st rounder.

Knicks made out well with ridding themselves of JR and clearing cap.

Cavs are the clear losers of this trade. Their GM was desperate to make a trade and this is a horrible, horrible move.

What a steal for OKC. They get Dion for what essentially amounts to a late 1st rounder.

Knicks made out well with ridding themselves of JR and clearing cap.

Cavs are the clear losers of this trade. Their GM was desperate to make a trade and this is a horrible, horrible move.

I don't agree that the trade was bad for the Cavs. They get a defensive guard, which they needed severely, and a scoring guard off the bench. Shumpert can also play SF when LeBron needs a blow.

I honestly think this is one of the few trades that worked out in everybody's favor.

I don't agree that the trade was bad for the Cavs. They get a defensive guard, which they needed severely, and a scoring guard off the bench. Shumpert can also play SF when LeBron needs a blow.

I honestly think this is one of the few trades that worked out in everybody's favor.

Both Shumpert and Smith are below average players. I'm a Knick fan and wanted Shump to be good as much as anyone, but he's not. Simply doesn't attack the rim, ever, despite that being his biggest strength on offense coming out of Georgia Tech. Quite baffling. His D is overrated, IMO.

Smith is pure garbage at this point. Thrilled to see him gone for good.

Jackson will eventually be moved. OKC has no plans on giving him an extension and are probably holding out for a better deal eventually.
Dion is under his rookie deal for a couple more season, after which they'll ditch him for the same reasons. If he plays well enough to earn a big second deal, they'll move him & go for another bench scorer on a rookie deal. If he doesn't play well enough, then he won't earn it anyway.

the Russy and Dion show will be in full effect soon and I can't wait to see it.
I doubt they play much together . . . Dion will again come off the bench, leading the second unit & taking over the role that James Harden used to become a star. And they'll toss him away just like they did the Beard.

Update to my previous Update: the protected 1st goes to CLE, not NYK

LOL @ my knicks again

Update to my previous Update: the protected 1st goes to CLE, not NYK

LOL @ my knicks again

Please...anyone not liking this deal for the Knicks is being very shortsighted, or is ridiculously overvaluing shump and JR.

The 7 mil NYK freed up in cap space can potentially get them a player far more valuable than the contributions of those two former Knicks combined.

Neither Shump nor JR is difficult to replace, IMO.

is ridiculously overvaluing shump and JR.

This is it. JR is never going to be near what he was when he won the 6th man of the year, and Shump never developed an offensive game to match his defensive game. Not only that, but he's no where near the tenacious the defender he was pre-injuries 3 years ago. This isn't a Marbury deal for the Knicks. This year is lost and it puts them in a position to immediately start rebuilding next summer. I'll just watch the Rangers until then...

Please...anyone not liking this deal for the Knicks is being very shortsighted, or is ridiculously overvaluing shump and JR.

The 7 mil NYK freed up in cap space can potentially get them a player far more valuable than the contributions of those two former Knicks combined.

Neither Shump nor JR is difficult to replace, IMO.

thats not it at all. I have no issue with dumping JR and Shump. JR is a douche and Shump was gone at the end of the year anyway and had faded from his highpoint as a player (probably due to injuries) and never really developed his upside. The cap space created is very valuable and I hope we do the right thing with it, despite all the past evidence that we wont, thus my "LOL"

I hope Phil can pull it off and return the Knicks to the upper echelon of the league but so far as a GM we have the worst team in Knicks history as a result. I still can't believe he was hired in the first place without leadership conducting a full-scale identification of potential candidates and interview process. Such things almost never work out well (*cough hope I'm wrong about Tim Lester *cough)

pretty much since Checketts left, Dolan makes wrong move after wrong move...even when the moves are right. Phil is so hell bent on his stupid triangle that I fear he will direct the draft for someone who fits his system instead of just flat out acquiring the best talent and letting Fish develop a system to use them in the best way. Even his statement reeks of it: "As our journey moves through this season, we will search for the type of players that fit the style we hope to exhibit for our fans. "

Getting back to the 1st round pick, of course the pick didn't go the Knick's way. Even though it will be a few years out and should be a low pick (protected plus coming from a team that should still be a contender in a few years) it would have been nice to get a 1st in a trade for a change.

Lastly, we know that he was dumping dead wood but both JR and Shump were former 1sts, JR was a recent 6th man of the year winner and both (esp Shump) have been rumored to be in several trade scenarios over the past year or two. I understand none of those deals were done so they could all be pure BS but the return in many of those rumors was far greater than what the Knicks actually got.

thats not it at all. I have no issue with dumping JR and Shump. JR is a douche and Shump was gone at the end of the year anyway and had faded from his highpoint as a player (probably due to injuries) and never really developed his upside. The cap space created is very valuable and I hope we do the right thing with it, despite all the past evidence that we wont, thus my "LOL"

I hope Phil can pull it off and return the Knicks to the upper echelon of the league but so far as a GM we have the worst team in Knicks history as a result. I still can't believe he was hired in the first place without leadership conducting a full-scale identification of potential candidates and interview process. Such things almost never work out well (*cough hope I'm wrong about Tim Lester *cough)

pretty much since Checketts left, Dolan makes wrong move after wrong move...even when the moves are right. Phil is so hell bent on his stupid triangle that I fear he will direct the draft for someone who fits his system instead of just flat out acquiring the best talent and letting Fish develop a system to use them in the best way. Even his statement reeks of it: "As our journey moves through this season, we will search for the type of players that fit the style we hope to exhibit for our fans. "

Getting back to the 1st round pick, of course the pick didn't go the Knick's way. Even though it will be a few years out and should be a low pick (protected plus coming from a team that should still be a contender in a few years) it would have been nice to get a 1st in a trade for a change.

Lastly, we know that he was dumping dead wood but both JR and Shump were former 1sts, JR was a recent 6th man of the year winner and both (esp Shump) have been rumored to be in several trade scenarios over the past year or two. I understand none of those deals were done so they could all be pure BS but the return in many of those rumors was far greater than what the Knicks actually got.

I am so with you concerning the triangle. Really frustrating to see management so determined to force the triangle down our team's throat. I also share your concern about the triangle influencing the draft and potentially steering the Knicks away from taking the best player available.

I think Phil is a good evaluator of talent, but the triangle is garbage and sticking with it so adamantly could set the Knicks back another decade.

Dion is under his rookie deal for a couple more season, after which they'll ditch him for the same reasons. If he plays well enough to earn a big second deal, they'll move him & go for another bench scorer on a rookie deal. If he doesn't play well enough, then he won't earn it anyway.

I doubt they play much together . . . Dion will again come off the bench, leading the second unit & taking over the role that James Harden used to become a star. And they'll toss him away just like they did the Beard.
Hey I'll be happy if he takes the same career arc as The Beard.;)

But he signed on for JR? Scary for Dion when a team would rather have JR Smith. The Thunder's locker room should be very interesting. :rolleyes:

Gotta assume JR is the smallest part of this. Going from Dion to him is a lateral move at worst. Getting a protected first and Shumpert are the real acquisitions here. Shump was a bad fit on a Knicks team that flat out didn't care about ever playing defense, but Cleveland has been desperately looking for a defensive C and SG.