Dion: Highest drafted Cuse guard since Bing? | Syracusefan.com

Dion: Highest drafted Cuse guard since Bing?

a

• a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • a

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

longislandcuse

Living Legend
NBA Draft talk on ESPN just now mentioned Dion and his guarantee. Said Dion himself does not know what team made that promise and will be suprised when he hears his name tomorrow night. They went on to name a handful of teams in the top 10 as landing spots for Dion including Cleveland which would make him the highest drafted Syracuse guard since Dave Bing according to the ESPN panel.

First I have heard of him going that high to Cleveland...

No way he goes to Cleveland UNLESS:

1) They can't get Beal

And

2) They are desperate for a SG

And even then, no way. He won't go higher than 6, at best, and that's unlikely since the Blazers seem to want Lillard.

1) They can't get Beal

And

And even then, no way. He won't go higher than 6, at best, and that's unlikely since the Blazers seem to want Lillard.
If it goes Davis, Beal, TRob...then I could see them going for Dion. A Kyrie Irving/Dion Waiters backcourt would be pretty nasty.

I dont think he will go that high either, but it was interesting to hear that mentioned on Draft Eve.

1) They can't get Beal

And

yup . . . if they don't get Beal then I'd guess the Cavs are more likely to trade down (or to agree to draft a player for someone else & announce the trade later)

following your line of reasoning, Dion falls to at least 7; I just heard on the radio (I missed the journo's name) that Houston will offer 16 & 18 to the Warriors for #7, then offer 7 , 12, Kevin Martin, Kyle Lowry and the pieces they got from Milwaukee for Howard & Turkoglu. If that happens, then the Magic won't need to draft a 2 and Dion would fall to at least 8.

I have a general idea, but to those who really follow the NBA--which team in the lottery that could potentially take him be the best fit? Worst?

I have a general idea, but to those who really follow the NBA--which team in the lottery that could potentially take him be the best fit? Worst?
personally, I don't think any team currently in the lottery is an ideal fit for him. I'd like to see a playoff team trade up to get him - I think his best chance for success is to get on a good team with veteran leadership, where he doesn't have to be a Star, can continue to come off the bench, and has established players who can help guide him - kind of like he had at Syracuse last year.

personally, I don't think any team currently in the lottery is an ideal fit for him. I'd like to see a playoff team trade up to get him - I think his best chance for success is to get on a good team with veteran leadership, where he doesn't have to be a Star, can continue to come off the bench, and has established players who can help guide him - kind of like he had at Syracuse last year.
Makes sense.

Wow. Dion will start for all but 6 teams in the NBA . Why would he or should he come off the bench? He is the most NBA ready guard that Boeheim has ever coached. Those are JB's words not mine. Dion best fit is a lottery selecting team that needs a scorer. Why would any SU fan want Dion to wait his turn? The skepticism of his talent on this board is unreal. It's my belief that Dion will be a NBA All-Star in two years and some of you will eat your words. Only a few players in this draft will impact the league as much as Dion will.

Wow. Dion will start for all but 6 teams in the NBA . Why would he or should he come off the bench? He is the most NBA ready guard that Boeheim has ever coached. Those are JB's words not mine. Dion best fit is a lottery selecting team that needs a scorer. Why would any SU fan want Dion to wait his turn? The skepticism of his talent on this board is unreal. It's my belief that Dion will be a NBA All-Star in two years and some of you will eat your words. Only a few players in this draft will impact the league as much as Dion will.
I dont know if he will be an NBA All Star in 2 years but I certainly dont put it past him. Guy is a baller, he has the alpha-male gene and his game translates better to the NBA. I agree that people here underestimate him. I dont know if its the fact he came off the bench, the underwhelming success of high Cuse picks lately or if its something that actually has to do with him?

I dont know if he will be an NBA All Star in 2 years but I certainly dont put it past him. Guy is a baller, he has the alpha-male gene and his game translates better to the NBA. I agree that people here underestimate him. I dont know if its the fact he came off the bench, the underwhelming success of high Cuse picks lately or if its something that actually has to do with him?

Some people do underestimate him and others might be overestimating him, but I think he has all the qualities to be a star. Like many NBA guys, he is best with the ball in his hands. No reason he can't come off the bench and be a star also. I think it will be exciting to see what team picks him. Melo also. He will have a big opportunity with the right team.

he's an undersized 2 with a mediocre deep shot, questionable defense, and a history of attitude problems. not a formula for success on a lottery team when the losses start piling up . . . and the other hand, the thunder can't sign all their stars, so they could ship harden and 28 to the warriors and plug dion right into it hardens spot . . . which by the way is 6th man, a role good enough for a consensus all american but apparently not for a big east 2nd teamer

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk 2

he's an undersized 2 with a mediocre deep shot, questionable defense, and a history of attitude problems. not a formula for success on a lottery team when the losses start piling up . . . and the other hand, the thunder can't sign all their stars, so they could ship harden and 28 to the warriors and plug dion right into it hardens spot . . . which by the way is 6th man, a role good enough for a consensus all american but apparently not for a big east 2nd teamer

You mean someone who grew up and toughed it out and proved he was mature enough to come off the bench and provide a spark , while pick pocketing players for a fast break tomahawk dunk, yeah thats him dion mofo waiters!!

You really care about how he acted 2 years ago? The guy has grown up so much and is a testament to the program now. How do you know his defense will be questionable? Is he definatively any worse of a defender than the other 2 guards in the draft? He can get to the rim at will which is huge in the NBA and his jumpshot is more than adequate for a player who will make a living getting into the paint. Bradley Beal and Austin Rivers may have a better 3 point shot at this point but they cant get to the hoop like Dion and if you want to talk attitude problems, what is your view on Rivers?

Some people do underestimate him and others might be overestimating him, but I think he has all the qualities to be a star. Like many NBA guys, he is best with the ball in his hands. No reason he can't come off the bench and be a star also. I think it will be exciting to see what team picks him. Melo also. He will have a big opportunity with the right team.

Agreed .. if Harden can do it, so can Dion.

His defense is going to be fine. His steals per minute were outstanding last year. He's got very quick hands and good lateral movement. Plus he's got a toughness and competitive nature about him. He's going to be a better pro than he was a collegian.

Just wondering -- what do steals and defense have to do with each other?
Absolutely agree with this point. Steals do not necessarily mean "good defense." It could just as easily mean a guy who takes chances and has good anticipation, but isn't necessarily a good one on one defender. You can gamble and come up with steals. It's kind of like how Asante Samuel is considered a good corner despite the fact he only gets picks because he jumps every route and gets it right sometimes, and also doesn't tackle for .

Stats do not a whole story tell.

Thats why IthacaMatt also pointed out quick hands, toughness, good lateral movement and Dion's competitive nature. All that in conjuncture with anticipatory skills allowing him to get steals leads me to believe he isnt going to be some guy who cant defend.

Of all Dion's skills, I think the most important one he demonstrated is the ability to adapt.
Plenty of big time players don't have it.
That's likely to make him successful no matter where he goes.

How do you know his defense will be questionable?
"questionable" doesn't mean "bad," and it doesn't mean "he can't." it means . . . well, questionable. Because he hasn't had to display it, and because he is undersized for his position, it remains in question.

You really care about how he acted 2 years ago?
it wasn't "2 years ago." it was just a calendar year ago that he was on the verge of quitting the program, and his attitude issues have been with him for half a decade, not just his time at SU. While he coexisted well enough to be an integral part in a great, great season, I would say that 6 months of acceptable behavior don't completely wipe away concerns about 5 years of not so good behavior, especially when he is about to join a team where he could lose more games in the first two months than he has in his entire prep and college careers combined.

You really care about how he acted 2 years ago? The guy has grown up so much and is a testament to the program now. How do you know his defense will be questionable? Is he definatively any worse of a defender than the other 2 guards in the draft? He can get to the rim at will which is huge in the NBA and his jumpshot is more than adequate for a player who will make a living getting into the paint. Bradley Beal and Austin Rivers may have a better 3 point shot at this point but they cant get to the hoop like Dion and if you want to talk attitude problems, what is your view on Rivers?

As for his offensive skills, I'm not sure why so many posters see can't miss, freshman Carmelo-like ability in Dion. There was a long stretch last year before the BET where Dion's offense was decidedly mediocre. He was getting to basket but not finishing and/or hoisting terrible off-balance shots, and his outside shooting was unreliable, to put it nicely. In his defense, I suspect he may have been battling through injuries at the time, but am not entirely sure. I certainly see the right skill set for a nice NBA career and hope he continues to improve his shooting mechanics (he will be getting lots of open looks from 18 feet out until he shows he can knock down the jumper consistently). So put me in the camp that has some concerns about how all this will translate for him at the next level.

"questionable" doesn't mean "bad," and it doesn't mean "he can't." it means . . . well, questionable. Because he hasn't had to display it, and because he is undersized for his position, it remains in question.

I think its safe to say that all of our players come in the league now with a "questionable" tag when it comes to defense. The first thing they bring up is how its hard to judge how good of a defender our players are because they play in a zone. So until we actually see him in the league playing man to man, his defense will be questionable.

Absolutely agree with this point. Steals do not necessarily mean "good defense." It could just as easily mean a guy who takes chances and has good anticipation, but isn't necessarily a good one on one defender. You can gamble and come up with steals. It's kind of like how Asante Samuel is considered a good corner despite the fact he only gets picks because he jumps every route and gets it right sometimes, and also doesn't tackle for ****.

Stats do not a whole story tell.

Well, Chris Paul led the NBA in steals last year and LeBron was third. Pretty good defensive players, I'd say.