Dion to Minnesota? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dion to Minnesota?

Love may not be a franchise guy, but he's a really good player. He's a legit All-star. Not surprised the Wolves turned it down.

Brooklyn is capped out for a while, no way he goes there

I wouldn't accept they can't win with Love. They were ravaged by injuries last year. I'm not saying they'd be great, but I think they can be a playoff team next year if they are reasonably healthy. (If they can keep Pekovic)

Which is mostly worthless in the NBA. In a sport like football where its a one game playoff, anything can happen so making the dance gives you more than a fighting chance of going all the way, especially if you get hot at the right time. In the NBA, with 7 game series, its more or less impossible to luck your way into a championship run. The T-Wolves will never win anything with Love, much in the same way they never won anything with Garnett. You need a superstar player to go deep into the postseason unless your entire team is very good an essentially without weakness (aka the Pacers this year). And Kevin Love is a great player, but hasn't shown he can stay healthy, and even when he is healthy he isn't a top 10 player in the game, let alone a top 5 player. He would be a stellar #2 option, but as your primary superstar, he just isn't a good enough player to take you deep into the postseason (if he can even get you there), let alone give you a puncher's chance of winning a title.

Agree like him in Cleveland. Minnesota is a black hole these days.

something seems so off with "like him in cleveland"

but i agree with you.

Which is mostly worthless in the NBA. In a sport like football where its a one game playoff, anything can happen so making the dance gives you more than a fighting chance of going all the way, especially if you get hot at the right time. In the NBA, with 7 game series, its more or less impossible to luck your way into a championship run. The T-Wolves will never win anything with Love, much in the same way they never won anything with Garnett. You need a superstar player to go deep into the postseason unless your entire team is very good an essentially without weakness (aka the Pacers this year). And Kevin Love is a great player, but hasn't shown he can stay healthy, and even when he is healthy he isn't a top 10 player in the game, let alone a top 5 player. He would be a stellar #2 option, but as your primary superstar, he just isn't a good enough player to take you deep into the postseason (if he can even get you there), let alone give you a puncher's chance of winning a title.

For sure, I don't think Minnesota is going to be a championship team any time soon. Of course I don't think they'd be any closer if they traded Love to Cleveland.

I think Love is a borderline top 10 player, fwiw. I'm less worried about the injuries last year; it was a fractured hand, not liek a knee or something that could come back.

But if the standard is title run or bust, then they should probably look to move him. But for a team that hasn't been good in a while, even putting a solid team out there has some value.

Making the playoffs isn't as bad a deal as people think. Playoffs means more opportunities for ticket sales due to the additional home games in the playoffs and more buzz for season ticket holders. More ticket sales means more $$$.

Owners like more $$$.

Minnesota would be winning that trade. Thompson is already a double double guy in year 2, Waiters showed a lot of promise as a rookie. Lets not forget they were both #4 picks. Two top 4 picks who are off to good starts in their careers, plus the #1 pick? Why would Minnesota not do that?

Love is a very good player, but he hasn't shown to be on the level of guys who are real, impact, franchise players.

Didn't Love make the Olympic team? When he's healthy, he's a hell of a talent. But Cleveland would be way overpaying in that deal, unless there were a couple first round picks coming back.

Why can I not find any mention of this anywhere else? Is this just a rumor? ... or have Minnesota and Cleveland reached a level of irrelevancy that even their major trades aren't news.

Why can I not find any mention of this anywhere else? Is this just a rumor? ... or have Minnesota and Cleveland reached a level of irrelevancy that even their major trades aren't news.
It was on twitter so you know its legit.

the NBA "analysis" on this board is high comedy sometimes.

the notion that "Waiters would excite the fanbase" after the team moved a 2 time all star, Olympian and the best big man in the league under the age of 25 is hilarious.

the NBA "analysis" on this board is high comedy sometimes.

the notion that "Waiters would excite the fanbase" after the team moved a 2 time all star, Olympian and the best big man in the league under the age of 25 is hilarious.

They also already have a guard who is pretty exciting in his own right.

And wow, Love is only 24.

Noooooooo!

images

Cavs are nuts, if that's true. You're going to give up 3 young starters(making the safe bet that the #1 pick will be a starting caliber player at the least, very soon) for an injury prone Love...who you can then team with the injury prone Irving...and basically nobody else? Why?

Only thing I can think of is trying to impress Irving so he won't leave. I'm not sold on Love, all he's done is out up good numbers on bad teams, and get hurt a lot.

As opposed to putting up bad numbers on bad teams?

As opposed to putting up bad numbers on bad teams?

Or worse...no numbers at all, while sitting on the bench while a previously bad team gets better without you?

I'm sure you have a point, but I have no idea what it is.

Love hasn't shown to be an impact, franchise player to this point. That's my only point. Those types of guys make the playoffs, even if their team sucks...And there really aren't very many of them.

Love is a very good player, only 24, NBA is a league where you need a superstar, etc. I get all that and agree with it. Just not sold on him being a guy to build around. Though if hes on the right team with another top 20 player like Irving, then that could work. Irving seems pretty fragile though, so having your two best players as guys who've been sidelined a lot seems risky.

As I said, I think Love is a top 10ish player. He's definitely not a super star/franchise player type. As you said, there are very few of those in the league.

But Love is young, and he's a very good player. No one the Cavs would be giving up in this deal is in his class as a player.

Irving seems pretty fragile though, so having your two best players as guys who've been sidelined a lot seems risky.

Fair. Love had a broken hand this year, which isn't something that I see as chronic, but I suppose you never know.

In the Cavs situation, you likely aren't going to get impact talent to come to you through free agency, so you need to trade for it, or draft it. Thompson and Waiters had solid seasons, but Kevin Love is a legitimate all-star, and one of the top 10-12 players in the league, IMO.

Or they are simply praying. If he keeps winning in Miami, he won't leave.

Even if he does, I can't see Cleveland fans being happy he's returned. Honestly, I'd see him in Dallas or NJ or LA before I see him leaving Miami to go back to cleveland

If he leaves Miami the ONLY place he will go is Cleveland

If he leaves Miami the ONLY place he will go is Cleveland
Why so he can try and be "the savior" again? If he wants to win, and keep winning, he has to go to a built team to continue doing so. If he wants MJs title of greatest player ever, I think he needs 7+ rings, and I don't think he can win at least 3 in Cleveland.

Ten again it only matters what Lebron thinks

Why so he can try and be "the savior" again? If he wants to win, and keep winning, he has to go to a built team to continue doing so. If he wants MJs title of greatest player ever, I think he needs 7+ rings, and I don't think he can win at least 3 in Cleveland.

Ten again it only matters what Lebron thinks

Cleveland could be putting together a nice team; if they were able to add Love, for instance, team him with Irving and Lebron? Not bad at all

Or worse...no numbers at all, while sitting on the bench while a previously bad team gets better without you?

I'm sure you have a point, but I have no idea what it is.

Love hasn't shown to be an impact, franchise player to this point. That's my only point. Those types of guys make the playoffs, even if their team sucks...And there really aren't very many of them.

Love is a very good player, only 24, NBA is a league where you need a superstar, etc. I get all that and agree with it. Just not sold on him being a guy to build around. Though if hes on the right team with another top 20 player like Irving, then that could work. Irving seems pretty fragile though, so having your two best players as guys who've been sidelined a lot seems risky.

Just saying what's better-- putting up good numbers on a bad team, or putting up bad numbers on a bad team? Not trying to flame here, just an observation.

It's like when people complain when a team has a great record but plays in a weaker conference, and their 2 losses are against ranked teams. People use the argument "well when they played good teams they lost." Which is "better"-- losing to two ranked teams, or losing to two ty teams.?

Minnesota has a few years ahead of them before they are relevant again. I also think Irving is definitely a franchise player. I watched enough Cavs games this year to see that.

I think that argument against Love is that he has put up great numbers, but it hasn't really meant much for the success of the team. Van Gundy frequently points out that SOMEONE needs to score, even on bad teams. But usually the very best players in the league at least get their team to the playoffs (Garnett is one of the few exceptions I can think of in the past; coincidentally while playing for Minnesota as well)

I don't buy it in Love's case, I think the guy is a fantastic offensive player and would be great offensively on any team. His defense is a legit knock on him though, if you ask me.

I think that argument against Love is that he has put up great numbers, but it hasn't really meant much for the success of the team. Van Gundy frequently points out that SOMEONE needs to score, even on bad teams. But usually the very best players in the league at least get their team to the playoffs (Garnett is one of the few exceptions I can think of in the past; coincidentally while playing for Minnesota as well)

I don't buy it in Love's case, I think the guy is a fantastic offensive player and would be great offensively on any team. His defense is a legit knock on him though, if you ask me.

Garnett was usually in the playoffs in Minn., they just went out in the first round every year except for the year they had Cassell, where they made a deep run.

Garnett was usually in the playoffs in Minn., they just went out in the first round every year except for the year they had Cassell, where they made a deep run.

Yeah I know, I was thinking of just one year, I think it was his last year before the trade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom