Dion to Minnesota? | Syracusefan.com

Dion to Minnesota?

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
@AlexKennedyNBA: Cavaliers have offered the No. 1 overall pick, Dion Waiters & Tristan Thompson to the Timberwolves for Kevin Love.

Via TNIAAM

graveyard.jpg

Cavs are nuts, if that's true. You're going to give up 3 young starters(making the safe bet that the #1 pick will be a starting caliber player at the least, very soon) for an injury prone Love...who you can then team with the injury prone Irving...and basically nobody else? Why?

Only thing I can think of is trying to impress Irving so he won't leave. I'm not sold on Love, all he's done is out up good numbers on bad teams, and get hurt a lot.

I wouldn't worry about it. Minnesota probably heard the offer, passed out from laughter, then composed themselves and called back to politely say 'thanks but no thanks'.

I wouldn't worry about it. Minnesota probably heard the offer, passed out from laughter, then composed themselves and called back to politely say 'thanks but no thanks'.

Minnesota would be winning that trade. Thompson is already a double double guy in year 2, Waiters showed a lot of promise as a rookie. Lets not forget they were both #4 picks. Two top 4 picks who are off to good starts in their careers, plus the #1 pick? Why would Minnesota not do that?

Love is a very good player, but he hasn't shown to be on the level of guys who are real, impact, franchise players.

it looks real solid to me. Kevin Love is kind of machine like but he is the only real player on a team that cant score or rebound. Put him on a good team and that production diminishes greatly. That and he's kind of injury prone.

Zero chance that was real.

Why? They aren't going anywhere with Kevin Love at the moment. It gives them a young talent in Waiters to excite the fanbase, a starting capable player in Thompson (who would likely be coming off the bench in Minny) and the #1 pick which would likely be Noel. Since they can't win with Love, might as well get a great restart for him.

Why? They aren't going anywhere with Kevin Love at the moment. It gives them a young talent in Waiters to excite the fanbase, a starting capable player in Thompson (who would likely be coming off the bench in Minny) and the #1 pick which would likely be Noel. Since they can't win with Love, might as well get a great restart for him.
I can't believe Cleveland would offer that.

Cavs trying to land a "STAR" player to help land Lebron a year from now.

Only reason they make that trade. They must have info that Lebron will opt out and wants to come back

There are a lot of reasons why this move does not make sense for Minnesota right now imo, mainly it boils down to me having a higher opinion of Love and a lower opinion of the assets Cleveland is offering than, I guess, mostly everybody else in this thread. Hypothetically, if this was 2014 and Wiggins lived up to the hype at KU, then this would be a very interesting trade to me. Then again, Cleveland probably isn't offering that deal.

Other reasons:
-With David Kahn finally out of the picture, Minnesota and Flip Saunders are trying desperately to heal some leftover wounds left by Kahn and sell Love on a long-term plan with the Wolves past his FA in 2015. I can't blame them. It's a superstar driven league and when you have one, you exhaust every single option before you decide to trade them away and start a rebuild.
-The Wolves dealt with tons of injuries last year and still managed to win 31 games; Rubio (missed 25 games), Love (64), Pekovic (18). I think they owe it to themselves and their fanbase to play this out for a year or two and see what they have in this core. I believe Pekovic is a restricted FA, he's incredibly underrated and hopefully the Wolves can retain him.
-Love has had 2 hand injuries, 1 right and 1 left. But I just can't let that dissuade me from trying to build a good team around him. If he had some type of chronic back, or knee issues I might think differently.
-If Love is frustrated again after next season, revisit a deal next summer.
-And just in terms of thinking about how the pieces would fit. A Ricky Rubio/Dion Waiters backcourt would really struggle to spread the defense. Neither are particularly good shooters. I think it would be a tough fit and I think that's why the Wolves are in search of somebody in the draft that can stretch the floor alongside Rubio, like a Kentavious Caldwell-Pope.

Did Minny re-sign Pekovic? If they did, this trade would have made close to zero sense for them.

They need a guard that can produce, but I don't think it makes any sense to give up one of the elite talents in the game for it. Especially when they would receive a top draft pick that would likely be a C (when they have one of the fastest developing Cs in the game) and a player that's redundant to their 2012 first round draft pick (Derrick Williams).

If I'm them, I'm praying CJ McCollum drops to 9. If they want to keep going with two ball-handlers, a starting lineup of Rubio, McCollum, Williams, Love, and Pekovic could be pretty good. If they stayed healthy they'd probably score enough to make a run at the playoffs in year-one. If they kept their core and added some depth in the next two or three drafts, they could build a pretty strong team. (I have no idea what their contract situations are, though)

Then again, this is Minnesota and they are bound to find a way to screw this up.

Cavs trying to land a "STAR" player to help land Lebron a year from now.

Only reason they make that trade. They must have info that Lebron will opt out and wants to come back

Or they are simply praying. If he keeps winning in Miami, he won't leave.

Even if he does, I can't see Cleveland fans being happy he's returned. Honestly, I'd see him in Dallas or NJ or LA before I see him leaving Miami to go back to cleveland

Love may not be a franchise guy, but he's a really good player. He's a legit All-star. Not surprised the Wolves turned it down.

Even if he does, I can't see Cleveland fans being happy he's returned. Honestly, I'd see him in Dallas or NJ or LA before I see him leaving Miami to go back to cleveland

Brooklyn is capped out for a while, no way he goes there

I wouldn't accept they can't win with Love. They were ravaged by injuries last year. I'm not saying they'd be great, but I think they can be a playoff team next year if they are reasonably healthy. (If they can keep Pekovic)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom