Dion Waiters | Syracusefan.com

Dion Waiters

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Really like what I'm seeing from him this year. He has put himself in a very good position to be the star of this team. Last year he was hampered some by a knee problem. During the regular season it slowed him a bit and he lost some explosion on his first step. This year he has worked hard. He can score from three, midrange and at the basket with power. Look for Dion to have a break out year.

he may be good this year...but he is not over taking Triche and needs to watch his back for MCW...he is going to be good...but this is Triche's break out year

Triche will be good but I just have this feeling about Dion. The kid has some freakish athletic ability.

Really like what I'm seeing from him this year. He has put himself in a very good position to be the star of this team. Last year he was hampered some by a knee problem. During the regular season it slowed him a bit and he lost some explosion on his first step. This year he has worked hard. He can score from three, midrange and at the basket with power. Look for Dion to have a break out year.

Dion's problem has never been skills. It's upstairs. This will be the first time in 6 years that he has been at the same school for 2 straight years. I am still concerned because him and his buds talked all summer (again) about him being the star and then going to get the money after this year.

Had no idea he had a knee problem last year. I will say though that I was definitely expecting Waiters to be a far more explosive player than he showed last year. He showed a little bit in the last game of the year but it was too little too late. He should be able to break down a defender with ease. I think it was Vander Blue that he abused in the ncaa tournament.

i was told Dion has been the most impressive player this fall in camp.

Am I the only one who does not care if Dion lost weight?

He got to the basket whenever he wanted against every single team we played last year. Being more explosive and quicker might help him, but, it wont help either of the two things he did poorly last year - specifically, finishing once he got to the basket, and defense.

Most freshmen struggle to understand the zone and Dion has all the physical abilities to be a great defensive player, so I'm not so worried about that side of the ball, but finishing is a tricky thing. Its something you cant really teach so there isn't much Boeheim can do about it except hope that it comes with time.

The way I see it, if Dion can finish around the basket he is going to be a star, if he cant, he is going to have problems earning playing time with Jardine, Triche, and MCW around.

I think we will be able to tell pretty early on just how good Dion is going to be this year, and actually how he finishes around the basket will probably be the number one thing I watch for during the exhibitions.

If he can get the ball in the basket, the sky is the limit, both for him and for this team.

With the increased competition for playing time it will be interesting to see who emerges on top. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dion blew up this season and became a go to guy that plays great on both sides of the ball. With the season about to begin it's incredible to see all the possibilities which exist for this team on account of depth. And guess what?, next year the intrigue will be even more amazing. It's great to be a Cuse fan right now!

[Apologies. My initial post was deleted so I will try to water it down a bit.]

Dion is better than triche. No ball handling guard who has a 1.4 A/T is worth starting unless he scores 20+ a game and looks like allen iverson. triche also cant create for himself or others and he is a below average shooter.

Dion has the potential to be a star. maybe he has an attitude, but as a sophomore that can be fixed. What cant be fixed is a slow junior who cant shoot very well. Thats a fact.

I dont care if its Dion, MCW or Cooney or some walkon from guam, someone should be taking triche's minutes because while he might be the nicest kid in the world, this isnt AYSO and the best kids should play.

The great thing about triche is that he is the sort of kid you need coming off the bench. good defender, great attitude, and more importantly streaky. As a 6th or 7th man, he might be the difference between our winning a NC or not. Very exciting.

Wow Tristan, a little harsh, I really don't think Triche is bad. I think his problem is its just not in his nature to take over a game and be aggressive when we need him to be, which with all the weapons we have this year, we shouldn't need him to be that type of player. I also believe Dion has IT, but like a lot of players he just need to adjust, wait his turn and be patient.

Triche

Dion is better than triche. No ball handling guard who has a 1.4 A/T is worth starting unless he scores 20+ a game and looks like allen iverson. triche also cant create for himself or others and he is a below average shooter.

Dion has the potential to be a star. maybe he has an attitude, but as a sophomore that can be fixed. What cant be fixed is a slow junior who cant shoot very well. Thats a fact.

I dont care if its Dion, MCW or Cooney or some walkon from guam, someone should be taking triche's minutes because while he might be the nicest kid in the world, this isnt AYSO and the best kids should play.

The great thing about triche is that he is the sort of kid you need coming off the bench. good defender, great attitude, and more importantly streaky. As a 6th or 7th man, he might be the difference between our winning a NC or not. Very exciting.

this is why it is a post board...frankly I believe that Triche is the better player because he is also a team player...too many games last year i watched in disbelief as Scoop and Waiters froze Triche from getting the ball...I remember Triche flailing his arms trying to get their attention...I remember Triche being passed the ball with less than 5 seconds on the clock and supposedly to make a great play after either Scoop or Waiters pounded the ball in a cirlce or corner for 10-15 seconds...so; what you see and feel is obviously not what JB sees...and last time I looked he was the coach...i will take Triche and MCW and wipe the floor with Scoop and Waiters...

Wow Tristan, a little harsh, I really don't think Triche is bad. I think his problem is its just not in his nature to take over a game and be aggressive when we need him to be, which with all the weapons we have this year, we shouldn't need him to be that type of player. I also believe Dion has IT, but like a lot of players he just need to adjust, wait his turn and be patient.

I dont think its harsh. we have a 1G / 2G who shoots 33% from the three and has a A/T ratio of 1.4. By any metric, standard or subjective test, thats not good (especially when you consider how good we are). he also isnt quick and by the way, can't create. So i truly dont get it. And by the way, I thought GMAC was a very good college guard, not great. But I readily admit that reasonable people can disagree on the magnitude of GMAC's greatness. Just like I think reasonable people can disagree on scoop. I dont think there is a reasonable argument to be made in support of triche (and I can only think of one other player in SU history who can I could say that about). i wish i could make one.

you make an interesting point - that we are so good it simply doesnt matter who is playing that spot. I think that might be true, unless DW has really turned the corner. if he is truly ready to be a superstar then its time to unleash him. a great european soccer coach stated recently that you need to begin every game by stepping on your opponent's throat and digging in your heel. I agree. so lets start the game with our weapons.

i remember the seton hall game (at seton hall) from last year where triche scored something like 14 straight in the second half and we went on for the win. if we can see something like from bt for most of the year we will be a-ok

I think you have the wrong starting guard as to whose minutes Waiters should be taking..Triche is the only one of the three who can hit a freakin outside shot. actually Triche has become an excellent shooter but i cringe when scoop or waiters shot the ball and nobody guards them outside

.i will take Triche and MCW and wipe the floor with Scoop and Waiters...

LOL. HAHAHAH. HEHEHEH. YAYAYAYA

In a game to 21, Scoop and Waiters would shut them out. 21-0.

You folks from upstate NY are the best.

I think you have the wrong starting guard as to whose minutes Waiters should be taking..Triche is the only one of the three who can hit a freakin outside shot. actually Triche has become an excellent shooter but i cringe when scoop or waiters shot the ball and nobody guards them outside

There is no such thing as an excellent shooter who shoots 33% from the three. its just a really silly statement. for a guard 33% is really bad. And if you are going to shoot 33% from the three you better be blowing by people to get to the basket.

Triche will surprise you this year. At MM his explosiveness was evident and he outshot Mookie and James in the 3 pt contest.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

i remember the seton hall game (at seton hall) from last year where triche scored something like 14 straight in the second half and we went on for the win. if we can see something like from bt for most of the year we will be a-ok

This developing into one of the best threads of all time.

But I agree - if BT can repeat that once in a career run of 14 straight points against seton hall in every game this year, we will be ok (and so he will he as he will a first team all-american and likely a top 5 draft pick).

There is no such thing as an excellent shooter who shoots 33% from the three. its just a really silly statement. for a guard 33% is really bad. And if you are going to shoot 33% from the three you better be blowing by people to get to the basket.
triche was dangerous enough to require defending...waiters missed the rim on half his threes

triche was dangerous enough to require defending...waiters missed the rim on half his threes

I see. So they have virtually identical three point shooting percentages, but triche's misses were of a higher quality than DW misses? And this distinction makes triche an excellent shooter and scoop and DW are horrible shooters? forget the fact that scoop has a better shooting percentage than triche. who cares about that fact. And it doesnt matter that DW and triche are statistically basically the same. Triche is an incredible shooter because his misses are of such high quality. In fact, his misses are so good that they overcome Scoop's made baskets! This all makes perfect sense.

Greatest. Thread. Of. All. Time. If there was a way to bronze a thread, this thread should be bronzed.

LOL. HAHAHAH. HEHEHEH. YAYAYAYA

In a game to 21, Scoop and Waiters would shut them out. 21-0.

In a game of 2on2 winner takes the ball out. Perhaps Dion and Scoop's games are more suited for that than MCW and Brandons are. I personally think we will have a great backcourt because I feel Scoop will fine tune his game and adjust his decision making, Dion will make a big leap as will Brandon. Plus I am high on MCW puching all three in practice.

I see. So they have virtually identical three point shooting percentages, but triche's misses were of a higher quality than DW misses? And this distinction makes triche an excellent shooter and scoop and DW are horrible shooters? forget the fact that scoop has a better shooting percentage than triche. who cares about that fact. And it doesnt matter that DW and triche are statistically basically the same. Triche is an incredible shooter because his misses are of such high quality. In fact, his misses are so good that they overcome Scoop's made baskets! This all makes perfect sense.

Greatest. Thread. Of. All. Time. If there was a way to bronze a thread, this thread should be bronzed.
I will refrain from Mudslinging. I simply saw Triche develope a lot from a muscular fairly useless freshman guard and last year i saw his confidence soar. His shooting developed a lot last year and he became a go-to shooter once Big East play started. I also rembmer him singlehandedly almost get us back against LVille last year. I love Waiters game and would love for him to start but he has a lot to prove

SUball
This developing into one of the best threads of all time.

But I agree - if BT can repeat that once in a career run of 14 straight points against seton hall in every game this year, we will be ok (and so he will he as he will a first team all-american and likely a top 5 draft pick).
You know we have bantered back and forth on several occassions on Scout and now here...I believe that if Triche gets the ball when he is hot..instead of begging for it...and gets the ball with time on the clock he will be terrific...now we all know, we dont care who does it as long as one of 'Cuse guys or more do it...so I am all for Scoop, Waiters, Triche etc...just put the damn ball in the basket...over and over with no TOs and mind feaks!!!!

Dion's problem has never been skills. It's upstairs. This will be the first time in 6 years that he has been at the same school for 2 straight years. I am still concerned because him and his buds talked all summer (again) about him being the star and then going to get the money after this year.

So is he interested in NBA money, or just playing for pay somewhere? In the absence of an injury I don't see any path to NBA money for him after this season, just don't see him getting enough playing time with both Scoop and Triche back there with him. Seems like that path would require him to play a junior year after Scoop is gone when he could potentially grab starters minutes. At that point it at least becomes a better possibility, although I'm not convinced I know how the minutes would shake out in a Dion (Jr.), MCW (So.), Triche (Sr.), Cooney (RS Fr) back court.

Bingo. All I am worried about is this kids head. If its screwed on right he succeeds. If not then he will be the same guy he was lastyear IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom