Dion's Grades | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's Grades

I can't imagine Dion would be getting major minutes if the staff knew he wouldn't be available

Third, this rumor conjures up memories from a couple of years ago, when some posters reported rumors about Devo flunking out ever semester. Lo and behold, not only were the rumors unfounded, he actually had dean's list caliber grades for several of those semesters.

Like I said in another post, Devo absolutely was in deep doo doo his first couple years.

The rumor started before Christmas, which seems very strange considering grades weren't posted until the 28th.

bnoro.. those internships are different(and a pain as i remember mine) i had a class with the same... its not about one class its about gpa overall. unless things have changed since 06 grades would have already been delivered.. on top of that mail delivery is one thing.. finding out your grades is much quicker using the blackboard system if thats still running. all through my four years there were lots of rumors.. mainly based on students making comments about athletes attendance records while not understanding travel schedules.. never came across anything but unfounded rumors during my time on the hill.

Nobody is ineligible for the 1st semester until the 2nd semester starts. And yes, there was concern about a couple of players and my understanding is that it is probably resolved. I guess we will know for sure the Notre Dame game.

Unfortunately, I've heard the problems have not been resolved to satisfaction. Not living in the area, I never hear much inside info, so when I do I take notice. In this case, it was a very random relative that was at Christmas who is friends with several professors. Said there was some trouble relating to attendance to classes. Unlike issues pertaining to grades or passing in assignments, attendance to class is far more difficult to make up...

The conversation turned into a discussion about how a program with a relatively small amount of players can't manage to keep up to the minute track of players academic standings. He noted with football they have guys that are sitting outside of classes actually taking player attendance...

Like I said in another post, Devo absolutely was in deep doo doo his first couple years.
yes to this 100 percent ... devo's injury year helped him get his grades up.. among other troubles he had off the court

He needs to talk to his cousin who learned a little about reality if he is struggling. I am sure if he puts forth a solid effort he can maintain the required GPA. He needs to know that if he leaves SU this year his chances at a good NBA career are not great.

LOL can we go one freaking year without some sort of off court issue, this is beyond ridiculous.

as noted by others, I would find it hard to believe that JB would continue to play DW as his go-to guy if the writing has been on the wall for a couple weeks now that he will soon be ineligible. just from a basketball standpoint, that wouldn't make sense.

is there a reason for this thread...i thought this topic was put to bed a couple of weeks ago...Dion would not be playing into january if grades were not acceptable...PERIOD

is there a reason for this thread...i thought this topic was put to bed a couple of weeks ago...Dion would not be playing into january if grades were not acceptable...PERIOD

No player would be ineligible until January 17th, so that is into January.

based on personal experience i believe thats inaccurate ... eligibility to continue as a student under scholarship does not continue if deemed ineligible, i would presume any appeal would have to have been completed for his continued participation.

I think this thread should be deleted because it is really just a bunch of unsubstantiated rumors and theories. It's crap threads like this that start crazy stories running around the city and beyond.

Wasn't there a rule about posting based upon rumors?

I don't think that's true, Rick. I think he'd already be ineligible if he was below the minimum. There are huge variances in academic years between schools (semestes v/trimesters or quarters) and the NCAA I thought had made the line universally at Christmas, because everyone's school is between blocks then.

FWIW, Cincinnati classes started last tuesday. I may be wrong, but it do not think I am, and my google came up with nothing.

Just to add to the issue about grade reporting (not Dion or SU related): The school I attended, the athletes were required to get monthly progress reports filled out by each professor for their classes. This was to ensure that all of the athletes were keeping their grades up. If someone was falling behind, the staff could address it quickly and get academic support involved.

You would think a school like Syracuse would have a similar program to monitor athletes' academic progress.

You would think a school like Syracuse would have a similar program to monitor athletes' academic progress.
Yes, you would certainly think they would.

Yes, you would certainly think they would.
They do. Closely.

If guys like Celuck and Deshaun can stay eligible they will keep Deshaun and Melo eligible. It isnt that difficult.

Unfortunately, I've heard the problems have not been resolved to satisfaction. Not living in the area, I never hear much inside info, so when I do I take notice. In this case, it was a very random relative that was at Christmas who is friends with several professors. Said there was some trouble relating to attendance to classes. Unlike issues pertaining to grades or passing in assignments, attendance to class is far more difficult to make up...

The conversation turned into a discussion about how a program with a relatively small amount of players can't manage to keep up to the minute track of players academic standings. He noted with football they have guys that are sitting outside of classes actually taking player attendance...

I guess I can trust this source in the future. Why do they always need to be right about the bad news?

He is going to the line. His grades are fine until June.

He is going to the line. His grades are fine until June.

The professor's not going to budge about Melo? Ok great, we're screwed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom