Dion's learning curve | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Dion's learning curve

Zone but we have two of the better defensive guards in the NBA right now. MCW and Dion.

Has Dion really done enough to be considered one of the better defensive guards in the league? I get he's played better but that might be a stretch, no?

Has Dion really done enough to be considered one of the better defensive guards in the league? I get he's played better but that might be a stretch, no?
He's not CP3 but in a league of Dragic's, Calderon's and Lillard's...yea, he's one of the better defensive guards. When Bruce Bowen notices your defense, you're pretty solid.

He's not CP3 but in a league of Dragic's, Calderon's and Lillard's...yea, he's one of the better defensive guards. When Bruce Bowen notices your defense, you're pretty solid.

I guess I don't know what one of the better one means. Best 40? 50? 10?

I also don't think defensive level is as static as we seem to think it is; Danny Green went nuts in the finals a few years back and made like 28 3's. Doesn't mean he's Steph Curry. So I guess my point is I'm going to need to see a lot more than what he's done so far.

But we probably need to credit Donovan for seemingly getting Kanter/Dion to play much better on the defensive end of the floor.

They gave up a 1st rounder for Crapgnani, right?

Not only a first rounder -- but what turned out to be the 9th overall pick (may move a spot tonight after the lottery)

As a long time Raptor fan, the 9th overall pick is some consolation for 7 years of putting up with his lack of heart, lack of effort, lack of awareness and worst of all his lack of accountability due to an Italian GM who tried to force him into the core and then larger roles.

Last edited:
It's not just the defensive side of the ball either. Dion's all-around game has improved. He's become a really good passer, especially when penetrating. And he's displaying the hustle and teamwork that makes his coach want to keep him on the floor.

After all he's been through this year (an awful stretch of shooting early on, and the death of his brother), I feel really happy for him.

It's not just the defensive side of the ball either. Dion's all-around game has improved. He's become a really good passer, especially when penetrating. And he's displaying the hustle and teamwork that makes his coach want to keep him on the floor.

After all he's been through this year (an awful stretch of shooting early on, and the death of his brother), I feel really happy for him.
That fast break pass to the trailer was nasty.

I wish KD and RW would trust Waiters, Adams and Kanter more in end game situations. All 3 have shown they are worthy of being trusted in big moments. Maybe then OKC wouldn't have trouble closing because iso-KD results in 7 straight missed shots.

That fast break pass to the trailer was nasty.

I wish KD and RW would trust Waiters, Adams and Kanter more in end game situations. All 3 have shown they are worthy of being trusted in big moments. Maybe then OKC wouldn't have trouble closing because iso-KD results in 7 straight missed shots.

What this one? :D

Everyone watching thought Dion was going to try to stuff it home. Gorgeous dime.

Dion could have easily had at least 2-3 more assists but the person just missed the open shots he got them.

Durant to Dion after Waiters didn't throw him an oop:

"F you. Hey man, f you."

Zone but we have two of the better defensive guards in the NBA right now. MCW and Dion.

Dion, MCW and Andy were great college guards they could lockdown and contain while pressuring really well. We haven't had athletic guards who were to good at that since, outside Buss (and he still needed another year to he was ready to contain more.

People love to call the zone out for it but its about the recruit not the zone, these talk show hosts come off as super uneducated. I will admit however I wish we got more of these calliber players. Hey we just had maybe the best pressure press in the country this year didn't we?

Curious if Battle will turn out to be ready for that, but thats asking a ton from a freshmen guard (especially if we need him on the offensive end and for 30 plus minutes). Not even Dion and MCW were ready for that as fresh. This is one of the main things I hope the zone will have uptop but finding guys like these are rare pickings, and requires players to stay around and mature some.

Last edited:
Durant to Dion after Waiters didn't throw him an oop:

"F you. Hey man, f you."

You can see Dion yell at him when he passes to him for the jumper after missing him on the break. KD pulled him in a few minutes later to cool it down. No biggie. It does seem like KD, Westbrook and Waiters are always chirping to others, to each other etc. I don't ever see Kanter, Roberson, Adams or Ibaka constantly running their mouth. Every dead ball I see those 3 talking to each other, to a ref, to the other team. I don't think its a bad thing, just an observation.

You can see Dion yell at him when he passes to him for the jumper after missing him on the break. KD pulled him in a few minutes later to cool it down. No biggie. It does seem like KD, Westbrook and Waiters are always chirping to others, to each other etc. I don't ever see Kanter, Roberson, Adams or Ibaka constantly running their mouth. Every dead ball I see those 3 talking to each other, to a ref, to the other team. I don't think its a bad thing, just an observation.
I noticed this too when it happened. I rewound it to see Dion yelling at KD while he was passing him the ball baseline. Those 3 you mention are always chirping, but last night it was non-stop. Man Westbrook even was going at it with Ibaka while he was on the bench during free throws, until an assistant came over to try and calm Westbrook down. That locker room must've been fun after the game. Or they channel that energy for the next game and do big things.

Dion is a difference maker in this game. He is making Durant and all play better. His guarding of Curry, other than picking up his 3rd foul has been great. And the dunk????!!!!!
Its crazy Dion is playing PERFECT team ball for a team thrashing the world champs in the playoff. Shut down D too...that Block on Green, Dion caused it. I am loving this.
https://twitter.com/search?q="Dion Waiters"&src=tren GREAT vines

Last edited:
Dion played great tonight in the Thunder's rout of the Warriors. 6-11 from the floor for 13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists for a +32 rating. Made great plays on offense and played some real suffocating defense on Klay Thompson and Steph Curry. Really good to see him play like that, always knew he had the potential.

Dion played great tonight in the Thunder's rout of the Warriors. 6-11 from the floor for 13 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists for a +32 rating. Made great plays on offense and played some real suffocating defense on Klay Thompson and Steph Curry. Really good to see him play like that, always knew he had the potential.

Even 6-11 is kind of misleading. He was 6-8 in the 3 quarters that mattered. Biggest surprise for me all postseason has been his defense. It's been great every series.

Also Green can't back him down. I've seen him fail 4 times and I think that's hilarious.

OKC scored 117 in three quarters. GSW finished the game with 105. What?

It really is so good to watch him put it down the way he has and to see his game evolve throughout this season. One big thing I notice is him stressing using his dribble drive way deep into the teeth of the d, then kicking it out to find teammates. That was on full display in the 3rd and beginning of the 4th qtr's. Although his teammates bricked almost every shot he got them, but they were rarely used bench guys. He should've had 4 more assists during that stretch alone.

Dion Waiters is the Vinnie Johnson of the Thunder. He is the bench guard capable of taking over stretches.