disappointed in marrone's thoughts in rahme's article today | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

disappointed in marrone's thoughts in rahme's article today

From Rahme's article:

"He said the best way to keep the Wildcat out of the equation would be to jump ahead of UConn early, taking the run-based package out of the equation and forcing Johnny McEntee to the air."

What about that statement is untrue?

And regardless, it doesn't make "jumping out to an early lead" part of his plan.

Come on, Millhouse. You're better than straw man arguments, aren't you?
"Syracuse University football team failed in critical areas in all three phases of UConn game plan"

Marrone prepared the game plan with two big concerns – on defense he worried about stopping the Wildcat formation, and on offense he believed Husky defensive tackles Kendall Reyes and Tywon Martin had the ability to take over a game.

He said the best way to keep the Wildcat out of the equation would be to jump ahead of UConn early, taking the run-based package out of the equation and forcing Johnny McEntee to the air.

Speaking of strawmen - I didn't say the statement was untrue.

I have an unintentional ability to extract dumb posts from smart people.

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!!!! IF WERE AVERAGE NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN. WE ARE NOT AVERAGE. He is 9-17 against BCS schools. that is failing. F.A.I.L.I.N.G. If marrone were in school he would have flunked out with an "F". He'd be going to summer school.

This is just dumb. If he were failing, we would be in the same position as we were when he took over, if not worse.

Silly.

This is just dumb. If he were failing, we would be in the same position as we were when he took over, if not worse.

Silly.
Actually, I think we are in the same place we were before the last guy took over.

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!!!! IF WERE AVERAGE NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN. WE ARE NOT AVERAGE. He is 9-17 against BCS schools. that is failing. F.A.I.L.I.N.G. If marrone were in school he would have flunked out with an "F". He'd be going to summer school.

We are average.

Where did it say getting a lead early was the be all/end all of "The Plan". There is even an "if" later on in the article about the two scenarios. Not a whole lot controversial about recognizing that Uconn had major problems playing catch up and it would limit their use of the ground game.

Then why did he think balance was the key to this? It made zero sense. The second half they said F it, no need for balance lets just open this up. That is how we should have started the game. Big mistake. There is absolutely nothing to like about this:

Even though UConn was allowing only 89.9 rushing yards per game and 283.5 passing yards per game Marrone believed the key to victory was balance.
“We need to wear those guys (Reyes and Martin) down,” he said. “They play all the time. I’d like to see Antwon (Bailey) run it 20 times.”

"Syracuse University football team failed in critical areas in all three phases of UConn game plan"

Marrone prepared the game plan with two big concerns – on defense he worried about stopping the Wildcat formation, and on offense he believed Husky defensive tackles Kendall Reyes and Tywon Martin had the ability to take over a game.

He said the best way to keep the Wildcat out of the equation would be to jump ahead of UConn early, taking the run-based package out of the equation and forcing Johnny McEntee to the air.

Speaking of strawmen - I didn't say the statement was untrue.

I have an unintentional ability to extract dumb posts from smart people.

I just think that's how the article was written. I don't think Marrone told Rahme, "Okay, plan #1 is to jump out to an early lead."

I do agree that Marrone's actual gameplan (balance) was kind of off. You plan on beating the opponent by going right at the opponent's strength? (UConn's defensive tackles). What that tells me is Marrone has no confidence in Nassib whatsoever right now. Maybe he had a bad week of practice coming off of his worst game of the season. Nassib's first-half performance would prove that he was right, if that's the case.

I think credit should be given to Marrone for scrapping that plan at halftime and just letting Nassib loose once it was apparent that the running game was not working and we couldn't wait for their defensive tackles to wear down. That's what he should have done from the beginning of the game and it ultimately cost us.

But the adjustment would have worked if the defense hadn't forgotten how to tackle in the 2nd half.

I just think that's how the article was written. I don't think Marrone told Rahme, "Okay, plan #1 is to jump out to an early lead."

I do agree that Marrone's actual gameplan (balance) was kind of off. You plan on beating the opponent by going right at the opponent's strength? (UConn's defensive tackles). What that tells me is Marrone has no confidence in Nassib whatsoever right now. Maybe he had a bad week of practice coming off of his worst game of the season. Nassib's first-half performance would prove that he was right, if that's the case.

I think credit should be given to Marrone for scrapping that plan at halftime and just letting Nassib loose once it was apparent that the running game was not working and we couldn't wait for their defensive tackles to wear down. That's what he should have done from the beginning of the game and it ultimately cost us.

But the adjustment would have worked if the defense hadn't forgotten how to tackle in the 2nd half.
i agree with that. if you want balance against a team that gives up 400 yards in the air to everyone they play recently, you really don't think highly of your qb

which is why they need a new one next year...

That sounds reasonable to me.. I would buy that but we were also playing better teams back then too
perhaps, but the current guy's teams aren't losing by 50 on a regular basis

they're losing, but at least they're not laying down

there's my positive thought for the day

I read it to mean the same spot when P left not when GROB left.. Yes?
Correct. Didn't consider the tougher competition angle though as you mentioned above.

We are average.

Compared to what? Hamilton College? Does then mean that Rutgers and UCONN are above average?

Your comments are obnoxious in that they presuppose that everyone on this board is an idiot.

oh man, this is priceless. Honestly, i dont know how some of you have managed to survive this long.

we are fighting for last place in the worst BCS conference...but we are average.

ok.

we are back to where we were at the end of the P era

if your plan dont work you change it durring the game-thats what coach's get paid for
Thank you and the players thank you as well.

But we have good table manners and can tie a nice double windsor knot, that has to be good for at least a couple of wins
fork on the left, look em straight in the eye and when you shake their hand let them know you are there. Actually i love DM's life skills and think it is a huge part of what we are trying to and should be trying to accomplish. My point is the guy is a little to Stubborn and not the quickest on game day changes. He also needs to be consistant in how he treats all players. He also needs to realize that some kids are gammers maybe not the best practice players but gammers. JB knows this as well as any coach. It is like the boss who rewards time at the office vs results. Part of me thinks Doug would make a great AD for Syracuse.

i agree with that. if you want balance against a team that gives up 400 yards in the air to everyone they play recently, you really don't think highly of your qb

which is why they need a new one next year...

I don't think it has anything to do with the QB. I think Marrone simply over thinks things on O. He is still stuck in that NFL mindset where you need complexity to succeed. I think the sooner he realizes CFB is about simplicity, the sooner the O will be consistent.

From the article it seems to me that Marrone's thinking was that UConn would expect SU to come out throwing. UConn would then compensate for their weak pass D and SU wouldn't have much success. Because of this Marrone wanted to have balance early to keep UConn from playing just the pass. That to me is something an NFL OC would do vs an NFL DC. It is part of the chess match. IMO what he fails to realize is that UConn can play the pass every down and they would still suck at stopping the pass. There is less of a chess match in CFB, because college kids cannot execute like pros.

I don't think Marrone is a dummy. His plan was dumb, but it was because he was outsmarting himself.

fork on the left, look em straight in the eye and when you shake their hand let them know you are there. Actually i love DM's life skills and think it is a huge part of what we are trying to and should be trying to accomplish. My point is the guy is a little to Stubborn and not the quickest on game day changes. He also needs to be consistant in how he treats all players. He also needs to realize that some kids are gammers maybe not the best practice players but gammers. JB knows this as well as any coach. It is like the boss who rewards time at the office vs results. Part of me thinks Doug would make a great AD for Syracuse.

If JB knows it then why does Triche even play when we have Waiters? All coaches play favorites. Human nature.

I don't think it has anything to do with the QB. I think Marrone simply over thinks things on O. He is still stuck in that NFL mindset where you need complexity to succeed. I think the sooner he realizes CFB is about simplicity, the sooner the O will be consistent.

From the article it seems to me that Marrone's thinking was that UConn would expect SU to come out throwing. UConn would then compensate for their weak pass D and SU wouldn't have much success. Because of this Marrone wanted to have balance early to keep UConn from playing just the pass. That to me is something an NFL OC would do vs an NFL DC. It is part of the chess match. IMO what he fails to realize is that UConn can play the pass every down and they would still suck at stopping the pass. There is less of a chess match in CFB, because college kids cannot execute like pros.

I don't think Marrone is a dummy. His plan was dumb, but it was because he was outsmarting himself.
you're too either/or

i agree that his offense is too complex but that doesn't mean the QB is any good

We aren't good. We are average.

So are most of the teams we are losing too. That's the point.

Jumping out to an early lead is not a plan.

Has there ever been a game where the plan is to *not* get out to an early lead?

And if there was ever a game where balance wasn't important, this was it.

Groan.

Please note, this isn't a quarrel with Rahme. Not going for a 200 response thread here.

I can't believe that you are attacking Dave Rahme!!!!

(just kidding)

If JB knows it then why does Triche even play when we have Waiters? All coaches play favorites. Human nature.
Because Triche is a more natural 2 Waiters needs the ball in his hand to have success and doesnt have the shot that Brandon does.

Triche is a better all around player, understands the game better and is more a team player? Do I win anything?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom