disappointed in marrone's thoughts in rahme's article today | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

disappointed in marrone's thoughts in rahme's article today

I don't know what the game plan was for either team, but both teams are pretty good vs. the run and pretty bad vs. the pass and one team came out passing while the other came out running.

He also needs to realize that some kids are gammers maybe not the best practice players but gammers.

I'm curious to know who you think should be getting PT that isn't.

Personally, I think Ryan Lichtenstein should be the kicker. But other than that, I can't think of anyone.

I don't think it has anything to do with the QB. I think Marrone simply over thinks things on O. He is still stuck in that NFL mindset where you need complexity to succeed. I think the sooner he realizes CFB is about simplicity, the sooner the O will be consistent.

From the article it seems to me that Marrone's thinking was that UConn would expect SU to come out throwing. UConn would then compensate for their weak pass D and SU wouldn't have much success. Because of this Marrone wanted to have balance early to keep UConn from playing just the pass. That to me is something an NFL OC would do vs an NFL DC. It is part of the chess match. IMO what he fails to realize is that UConn can play the pass every down and they would still suck at stopping the pass. There is less of a chess match in CFB, because college kids cannot execute like pros.

I don't think Marrone is a dummy. His plan was dumb, but it was because he was outsmarting himself.

The game I watched on Saturday featured an SU QB that was absolutely dreadful for the first 25 minutes of the game. His passes were absolutely terrible and he was throwing too soon or taking off when he had time to either stand in the pocket or step up and throw. I was actually starting to hope for Kinder, Loeb or Hunt (which one is actually the backup?) to come in for a series to see what they could do. Nassib was that bad. To his credit, he turned it around in the 2nd half, but that first half was as bad as he had played in at least a week.Then, on the 3rd and 6 at the end, he really missed the check-down to the RB coming out of the backfield who could have walked for 10 yards, opting to go for the lower probability deeper pass to Lemon.

I hope he comes out on Friday like he did in the 3rd quarter against UConn.

Compared to what? Hamilton College? Does then mean that Rutgers and UCONN are above average?

Your comments are obnoxious in that they presuppose that everyone on this board is an idiot.

oh man, this is priceless. Honestly, i dont know how some of you have managed to survive this long.

we are fighting for last place in the worst BCS conference...but we are average.

ok.

You are a pisser.

Syracuse is currently ranked #69 on CBS' Top 120. So technically, we are 9 spots below exactly middle of the road. Feel free to use any other ranking necessary for your comment.

Do you need a hug?

I don't think it has anything to do with the QB. I think Marrone simply over thinks things on O. He is still stuck in that NFL mindset where you need complexity to succeed. I think the sooner he realizes CFB is about simplicity, the sooner the O will be consistent.

From the article it seems to me that Marrone's thinking was that UConn would expect SU to come out throwing. UConn would then compensate for their weak pass D and SU wouldn't have much success. Because of this Marrone wanted to have balance early to keep UConn from playing just the pass. That to me is something an NFL OC would do vs an NFL DC. It is part of the chess match. IMO what he fails to realize is that UConn can play the pass every down and they would still suck at stopping the pass. There is less of a chess match in CFB, because college kids cannot execute like pros.

I don't think Marrone is a dummy. His plan was dumb, but it was because he was outsmarting himself.
Just to get the facts into this...we did actually throw it a lot in the first quarter. The first drive it is true that we did run the ball - the first play of the game for 4 yds and fumbled the handoff on the 2nd play. I wouldn't put that down as evidence that Uconn was stopping the run, only that we are incompetent. The next two drives we basically threw it except on short yardage. One drive ended on a bad throw by Ryan and the next on a really bad pick by Ryan. The last drive of the quarter was the one we started at the 4 and predictably went run-run-pass-punt. I put that down more to Marrone not trusting Ryan, which given the previous two possessions was understandable, than anything else. There is this fallacy that we ran it into the line every play of the quarter and that simply isn't true. Look...maybe we are too conservative but when Nassib is the QB it is pretty tough to air it out on every play.

Just to get the facts into this...we did actually throw it a lot in the first quarter...

The last drive of the quarter was the one we started at the 4 and predictably went run-run-pass-punt. I put that down more to Marrone not trusting Ryan, which given the previous two possessions was understandable, than anything else. There is this fallacy that we ran it into the line every play of the quarter and that simply isn't true. Look...maybe we are too conservative but when Nassib is the QB it is pretty tough to air it out on every play.

We threw it 6 times. That isn't a lot. It is balanced. In fact we ran it more that Q.

Why would he not trust Ryan to not throw an INT there? He has very few on the year. Just because he had TWO bads throws earlier doesn't mean every pass will be bad or that he will all of a sudden lack judegement. If it is pretty tough to air it out with Nassib as our QB, then why is the O at its best when we in fact air it out?

The biggest issues with the play calling were

1. Two runs to start the game instead of getting Ryan going.

2. The crap when we were backed up at our own goaline. Especially the 3rd down play.

3. The first drive of 2nd Q. After the TO we went run, run, pass, punt.

4. Bailey run to end the half.

5. Any run up the middle that results in 1-2 yards on 1st or 2nd down. I don't mind running the ball. But when we run it up the middle, we might as well do a QB sneak as we would get just as many yards.

I'm curious to know who you think should be getting PT that isn't.

Personally, I think Ryan Lichtenstein should be the kicker. But other than that, I can't think of anyone.
Nirv i have no idea. Looks like they are saving Alexander for next year. Lich should have played on Saturday but Ross is the better kicker. Would have liked to see us switch out punters in the second half. More Smith, More West, Not sure why Diet Tab wasnt used as a spy in second half. who knows

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!!!! IF WERE AVERAGE NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN. WE ARE NOT AVERAGE. He is 9-17 against BCS schools. that is failing. F.A.I.L.I.N.G. If marrone were in school he would have flunked out with an "F". He'd be going to summer school.

You can't look at this without a relative comparison. You can't just look at 9 wins against BCS schools without comparing it to something. That "something" is that he inherited a team from a coach that won a total of 10 TOTAL games the prior 4 years. He inherited a team where 25-30 guys were not really up to snuff and left the team as result. Sure, he's not going to get an "A" but not a "F". He was behind the 8 ball from the start and we can't just pretend he wasn't.

We threw it 6 times. That isn't a lot. It is balanced. In fact we ran it more that Q.

Why would he not trust Ryan to not throw an INT there? He has very few on the year. Just because he had TWO bads throws earlier doesn't mean every pass will be bad or that he will all of a sudden lack judegement. If it is pretty tough to air it out with Nassib as our QB, then why is the O at its best when we in fact air it out?

The biggest issues with the play calling were

1. Two runs to start the game instead of getting Ryan going.

2. The crap when we were backed up at our own goaline. Especially the 3rd down play.

3. The first drive of 2nd Q. After the TO we went run, run, pass, punt.

4. Bailey run to end the half.

5. Any run up the middle that results in 1-2 yards on 1st or 2nd down. I don't mind running the ball. But when we run it up the middle, we might as well do a QB sneak as we would get just as many yards.
1. Actually we called 8 pass plays and 7 run plays in the first quarter(the swing pass to rene was a pass play). Our 7 running plays went for 30 yards with one fumble. Our 7 passing plays went for 21 yards and a pick.

2. The run by Bailey at the end of the half was a great call - took us from a 46 yd field goal to a 34 yder. It isnt the running plays fault that he missed the kick.
3. Our 3 scoring drives consisted of a combined 20 plays - 11 passes and 9 runs. Pretty balanced.

If you actually look at the drives where we were heavily throwing the ball we didn't score on any of them because Ryan threw 2 picks and took sacks. But, don't let the facts sway your opinion. If we had just passed the ball i'm sure we would have scored 50.

Then why did he think balance was the key to this? It made zero sense. The second half they said F it, no need for balance lets just open this **** up. That is how we should have started the game. Big mistake. There is absolutely nothing to like about this:

Even though UConn was allowing only 89.9 rushing yards per game and 283.5 passing yards per game Marrone believed the key to victory was balance.
“We need to wear those guys (Reyes and Martin) down,” he said. “They play all the time. I’d like to see Antwon (Bailey) run it 20 times.”

Only Pitt came out and jumped on them early. The WVU game was 10-9 at the half. They lost to Vandy, ISt, and W Mich in the 4th. That's probably what they saw. The difference in first half/second half pass defense looked pretty significant at a quick glance.

Nirv i have no idea. Looks like they are saving Alexander for next year. Lich should have played on Saturday but Ross is the better kicker. Would have liked to see us switch out punters in the second half. More Smith, More West, Not sure why Diet Tab wasnt used as a spy in second half. who knows

Licky isn't even on the travel squad. It's not even close between Krautman, Raupers and Licky. That's why an injured Krautman played. That's pretty much an indictment against the other two. Will be interesting to see what happens this Friday since I am sure Krautman is hurting more this week than last having gone out and done KO's. Soccer player I know had a strained groin muscle and it took 4 weeks of complete inactivity before it was OK to play.

He wants him to give the opposition our play book and a scouting report and then beat them. like maybe we tried A,B,and C, and were unsuccessful! We can't do this and that so we will continue to do this.

Yes, that is exactly what the opposition needs to FINALLY beat us, our play book!...

...oh, wait

YOU GUYS ARE CRAZY!!!!! IF WERE AVERAGE NO ONE WOULD COMPLAIN. WE ARE NOT AVERAGE. He is 9-17 against BCS schools. that is failing. F.A.I.L.I.N.G. If marrone were in school he would have flunked out with an "F". He'd be going to summer school.

No, we're trending up. Give it a rest. We let 2 games get away this year, which sucks, but these teams are way better than the Robinson teams. We hit people hard on defense, for starters. I have not seen a very consistent offense yet, though. Sure, Nassib likely won't ever play in the NFL, but it's hard to believe we don't have a more functional offense by now. I mean, just basic blocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom