Disappointing, but... | Syracusefan.com

Disappointing, but...

Chip

Creature of Bad Habits
We're in so much better a place than 5 years ago. There have been far worse times.

A lot to work on. Let's see how the game 1 to game 2 improvement theory goes. OL had a tough day. QB to WR dynamic has to improve. I won't place blame on one or the other, I'll leave that to all of you. But clearly they need more time together.

Can't wait to go to Chicago.

By the way, the only time I uttered some words not for my child's ear over a coaching decision was running McFarland on 3rd down at the end of the first half. ONLY something bad could have happened there. Maybe I'm growing up.

LGO!!!

It was close. Hate to be this guy but I didn't like anything about Allen. Bad poise, poor leadership and poor play calling / chemistry with his receivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

It was close. Hate to be this guy but I didn't like anything about Allen. Bad poise, poor leadership and poor play calling / chemistry with his receivers.

what bothers me the most is he looked just as confused the second half as the first- made some awful throws

I was angry when he punted late in the 4th. Yeah, we got another shot, but that was lame.

I'm pretty sure that Drew doesn't call the plays.

We were a few plays away from winning this game. Not a bad start in my opinion, but tons of room for improvement. I hope the offense figures out the communication issue in time for next game.

we all wanted the speed that last years offense ran -the one they didnt put in till a week or 2 before the season-
ole mcdonald had a whole lot more time -hopefully he aint just a farmer-eieio

we all wanted the speed that last years offense ran -the one they didnt put in till a week or 2 before the season-
ole mcdonald had a whole lot more time -hopefully he aint just a farmer-eieio

I think the question is: will Allen / the offense get more in sync with additional time and some game experience under their collective belts?

It worked out to be absolutely the right call. Had the ball at our 40 (or so) with 2:00 (or so) to go. The issue is we went for 20+ yard plays when 10 yards would've sufficed.

No, no, no, no. At some point I'm going to convince you guys how this works:

The aftermath does not make a call right or wrong.

You are more likely to do one thing right then stop the opponent from doing something right three times in a row, with enough time on the clock for you to then be able to do something.

No, no, no, no. At some point I'm going to convince you guys how this works:

The aftermath does not make a call right or wrong.

You are more likely to do one thing right then stop the opponent from doing something right three times in a row, with enough time on the clock for you to then be able to do something.

So it's the right call if they go for it, don't convert, and Penn State kicks a field goal to put it away?

So it's the right call if they go for it, don't convert, and Penn State kicks a field goal to put it away?

Yes! You're getting it. You make the call that plays the percentages. What happens afterwards doesn't change the percentages.

Can't run a pro style offense, when you don't have any good receivers, rather put ashton, and estime at receiver then the people we have, they might make some plays. Put hunt in at QB have him roll out, get rid of the Fullback, a useless position unless short yardage. Fleming, Wales, Kobena, Clark, none of them are the answer, rather throw to the tight ends. Neither of our running backs are good receivers, which also make a pro set a bad idea. Robinson is Penn States playmaker, we don't have anyone.

Percentages don't happen in a vacuum. Penn State beat us on two big plays -- you can argue Shafer figured they wouldn't try for a third and could get them on a three-and-out. He was right.

There is enough good stuff to be encouraged about this team.

The GOOD NEWS:

We have a great stable of RB's that will only improve

The defense is strong, & will do a better job than last year's D.

The offense is not as finely tuned as we were used to last year, but I saw some speed & plenty of reason to believe we will be fine as an apt complement to the defense, which will probably be the stronger partner all season.

The special teams is actually special in a good way.

You like that ACC patch on the suits?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The BAD NEWS:

I'll let all the cynics talk about that nonsense.

What happened to the hurry up offense? We were playing in slow motion. Total confusion on offense. Half the time the play clock was down to 2 seconds and guys looked like they didn't know where to line up.

My issue with Allen is that he doesn't extend plays. He doesn't move to gain time. He didn't make one pass while moving.

We were a few plays away from winning this game. Not a bad start in my opinion, but tons of room for improvement. I hope the offense figures out the communication issue in time for next game.
I kind of felt the same way. I see lots of complaints about Allen, but I thought he was ok. Penn State has good players. I thought their lines gave us all we could handle. We didn't do much with our strength, the running game, but think offense tends to develop more slowly than defense and PSU played tough. A couple of times our D looked tired and got outplayed. No moral victories here, but there were promising things happening as well. I was happy that AB got some touches. He showed signs of life. We've got good players as well but we got beaten. The OL line didn't hold up well at the end and got pushed around a good bit. I was glad to get to see them play, but am disappointed. I was hoping for 4-0 heading into the ACC.

He was awful, and at times brilliant today. You have to give him a few more chances. If no improvement, then you cut bait.

You just don't know if what is waiting in the wings is any better.

How does anyone here have any idea what Allen's leadership is like? There are plenty of things to criticize from his first game, let's keep it on the field.

Play calling? Don't think Drew is the OC.

It was Drew's first college start. Lets give him a chance. I also agree, he did not move out of the pocket on some plays. In his defense, the plays he was sacked (drilled on two by the way), he didn't even have time to throw the ball away. That is on the O line. It is different than at the beginning of 2012 when Ryan would panic and get happy feet and eventually get sacked. Drew did not have time to get happy feet because he was on his back as soon as the ball was snapped. Drew has a lot of work to do this week, but so does everybody else, including Shafer, White and the rest of the staff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom