Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Discussion on Article Today in PS on NIL and Weitsman

This is a bit naive. I think they 100% knew it would be a giant problem and when they lost the case in court, decided to open the flood gates in an attempt to say "here, this is what you want" so they could be "right" in the end.

The best option was to realize that opening this can of worms was a) inevitable b) the right thing to do by the players and c) a major opportunity. An empowered NCAA could have said "we are going to work with all of the major stakeholders to ensure a fair and equitable situation for players AND programs" and upon agreement, the rules will be agreed to by all member institutions and iron-clad. This was the part that never happened. But they 100% knew it would end up exactly like it has.
The concept of "NIL" that the NCAA developed only addressed "enrolled student athletes". To my knowledge, I've never read anything officially published by the NCAA that directly addresses high school athletes other than NIL cannot be used for recruiting. I honestly think the NCAA assumed that paying high school athletes as an enticement to enroll was an obvious and universally unacceptable concept by all parties. The court ruling was very limited and primarily addressed antitrust issues and the definition of amateurism. That's what the NCAA hoped to address with NIL.

Last edited:
The concept of "NIL" that the NCAA developed only addressed "enrolled student athletes". To my knowledge, I've never read anything officially published by the NCAA that directly addresses high school athletes other than NIL cannot be used for recruiting. I honestly think the NCAA assumed that paying high school athletes was an obvious and universally unacceptable concept by all parties. The court ruling was very limited and primarily addressed antitrust issues and the definition of amateurism. Thats what the NCAA hoped to address with NIL.
I knew of people paying kids in high school to win at basketball in upstate New York in 2002

I agree that college basketball was much better when stars stayed 3-4 years. But there's just no way around it. You can't force human beings to entertain you for free when there is a free market demand for their skill.
college degree . hell it ain't free. in fact lottsa kids drowning in debt. and you ain't FORCED to do anything. NIL applies to a select few and has no impact on 98 % of the college athletes.

Good luck getting the courts to agree to this.
any kid being recruited aint got no name number or likeness in a syracuse uniform.gifting them money is tampering plain and simple.

any kid being recruited aint got no name number or likeness in a syracuse uniform.gifting them money is tampering plain and simple.
That's great...

...and has nothing to do with the point I made.

You can't put an arbitrary age on when someone can earn money off their NIL.

For example, here's the CA state law. If the NCAA puts an arbitrary age limit, if I'm USC, I just point to this and proceed.

Last edited:
That's great...

...and has nothing to do with the point I made.

You can't put an arbitrary age on when someone can earn money off their NIL.

For example, here's the CA state law. If the NCAA puts an arbitrary age limit, if I'm USC, I just point to this and proceed.

A reasonable argument can me made that how does one truly possess an actual NIL (in the true sense of the meaning) if one has yet to even step on campus, play in any games, establish any production, etc.?

In all honesty, IMO, it's 100% based upon potential, not actual. Therefore, especially with the amount of coin being thrown out there in some instances prior to same, IMO, it's really pay for play. That's fine, it is what it is...just keep it real vs. the dancing around shenanigans, etc. of claiming NIL.

Last edited:
A reasonable argument can me made that how does one truly possess an actual NIL (in the true sense of the meaning) if one has yet to even step on campus, play in any games, establish any production, etc.?

In all honesty, IMO, it's 100% based upon potential, not actual. Therefore, especially with the amount of coin being thrown out there in some instances prior to same, IMO, it's really pay for play. That's fine, it is what it is...just keep it real vs. the dancing around shenanigans, etc. of claiming NIL.
Of course, it's pay for play.

One pushback..
If Carmelo-esque player came to campus in late 2023, are you suggesting he'd have no value?

Fans knew who he was from Day 1

Of course, it's pay for play.

One pushback..
If Carmelo-esque player came to campus in late 2023, are you suggesting he'd have no value?

Fans knew who he was from Day 1

Yes, he had value. However, again, IMO, his value overwhelmingly was based upon his potential prior to him arriving on campus. Obviously, he lived up to his potential and then some, especially as the year progressed and our amazing run to the national championship. Along this journey is when there was a true "realized gain" relative to his actual name, image & likeness.

No doubt there were some fans that knew about Carmelo. However, he kind of really blew late in the recruiting period, well after we had signed him...at least that's what I recall. And, there are many, probably a very large amount of fans that don't really pay much, if any attention/specific detail to recruiting, etc. (like us here) until the new season is upon us. Additionally, for most, it's probably along the lines like; "hey I hear this Carmelo guy is supposed to be pretty good" but really haven't a clue (NIL wise) until the games get played and then can see the actual productivity, etc. and, afterwards, the individual's ensuing true NIL.

Yes, he had value. However, again, IMO, his value overwhelmingly was based upon his potential prior to him arriving on campus. Obviously, he lived up to his potential and then some, especially as the year progressed and our amazing run to the national championship. Along this journey is when there was a true "realized gain" relative to his actual name, image & likeness.

No doubt there were some fans that knew about Carmelo. However, he kind of really blew late in the recruiting period, well after we had signed him...at least that's what I recall. And, there are many, probably a very large amount of fans that don't really pay much, if any attention/specific detail to recruiting, etc. (like us here) until the new season is upon us. Additionally, for most, it's probably along the lines like; "hey I hear this Carmelo guy is supposed to be pretty good" but really haven't a clue (NIL wise) until the games get played and then can see the actual productivity, etc. and, afterwards, the individual's ensuing true NIL.
I get what you are saying but...Lebron got a big deal from Nike before he played 1 day in the NBA. Plenty of deals are given on potential.

Mitch Trubisky got paid more than Patrick Mahomes for his first 4 years of playing football in the NFL based purely on potential.

If someone thinks getting on the ground floor with a player is worth X amt of dollars. then that's what hes worth

Yeah. There were never any under 18 people doing ads for money. Ever.
How much money do you think local businesses would have paid GMac to do ads for them when he was in high school? Anyone who wanted a marketing advantage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom