Disgusting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Disgusting

1,000th thread? I'm not sure this has been talked about for awhile and this honoring of paterno was a new event. So I don't get the point of that gold thread.
Search the forums. I'll place $10 that I underestimated the number of threads on this same topic.

Funny you called my post "gold." I just read through the thread and noticed that my cliff's notes were pretty spot on.

I do apologize for directing my frustration at you. That was inappropriate.

Orangepace said:
Search the forums. I'll place $10 that I underestimated the number of threads on this same topic. Funny you called my post "gold." I just read through the thread and noticed that my cliff's notes were pretty spot on. I do apologize for directing my frustration at you. That was inappropriate.

I have no idea how the word gold got there. Some weird autocorrect. It was simply suppose to say post.

I share everyone's absolute disdain for everything Penn St, but I have to ask... Does the title of the thread refer to info tweeted? Or the fact that an admin of the board decided to start the 1,000th thread about the topic? Why continue to promote this negative topic ad nauseum.

Without looking, I'll cliff's notes the responses to this topic for you:
  • "Are they honoring Sandusky next week?"
  • "I hear they're letting children into the game for free."
  • "Ped St this, Ped St that."
  • "Fans/alumni of Ped St are, all-inclusively, inbred child molesters by association."
  • "I hear they're raffling off tickets for 7 lucky boys to get a tour of the showers..."
The only awareness your thread will bring to the topic at hand is that our own fan base stoops pretty low to reflect sarcasm and/or commentary that is nearly as disgusting at this point. While not on the same level, our fan base really shouldn't be throwing stones at glass houses given some not so positive things that have come out since that scandal broke.

Why don't we just sit back and enjoy the fact that James Franklin is still employed and seemingly is burying the program into mediocrity on his own?

These threads make me feel a little better about my fellow men. When you grow up abused its nice to read words that feel supportive. You could have skipped the thread. You might think it's sarcasm but I feel support from men of good character.

Last edited:
I share everyone's absolute disdain for everything Penn St, but I have to ask... Does the title of the thread refer to info tweeted? Or the fact that an admin of the board decided to start the 1,000th thread about the topic? Why continue to promote this negative topic ad nauseum.

Without looking, I'll cliff's notes the responses to this topic for you:
  • "Are they honoring Sandusky next week?"
  • "I hear they're letting children into the game for free."
  • "Ped St this, Ped St that."
  • "Fans/alumni of Ped St are, all-inclusively, inbred child molesters by association."
  • "I hear they're raffling off tickets for 7 lucky boys to get a tour of the showers..."
The only awareness your thread will bring to the topic at hand is that our own fan base stoops pretty low to reflect sarcasm and/or commentary that is nearly as disgusting at this point. While not on the same level, our fan base really shouldn't be throwing stones at glass houses given some not so positive things that have come out since that scandal broke.

Why don't we just sit back and enjoy the fact that James Franklin is still employed and seemingly is burying the program into mediocrity on his own?

If one thing is clear on this board you should never get in the way of people making light of child rape. You see all of the rape jokes are just their way of making sure that we never forget what happened. Kind of like what we do with 9/11 but in this case it is with funny nicknames and jokes about children in showerS

1,000th thread? I'm not sure this has been talked about for awhile and this honoring of paterno was a new event. So I don't get the point of that post.

I think this thread is what a message board is all about. We can scream and yell at a no brainer scumbag decision by Penn St. My ONLY issue is we somewhat live in a glass house b/c until i get the final resolution on what happened with Bernie Fine. If someone can summarize what Bernie was really doing then i'm all ears but the silence on that entire affair makes me think something in between 100% innocence and Sandusky occurred.

This thread is refreshing to me only because it reminds me that outside of Pennsylvania, people understand the situation and why this "honoring" bs is just that. I get real tired of folks telling me my disdain for Paterno makes me part of the problem.

I personally don't think he should be honored but that has nothing to do with me being a Catholic nor do I understand why me being a Catholic would make things different.

Why aren't you curious as to what Lutherans think?
I think it has to do with the fact that many people who criticize Penn State as an institution which hid and enabled child rape are members of an religious institution which did the very same thing on a much greater and direct level. For example, Cardinal Law, was permitted to say one of the masses at St. Peter's during the nine days of mourning for Pope John Paul II. It was an honor he should not have received on the same level of the honor PSU is giving to Paterno.

I think it has to do with the fact that many people who criticize Penn State as an institution which hid and enabled child rape are members of an religious institution which did the very same thing on a much greater and direct level. For example, Cardinal Law, was permitted to say one of the masses at St. Peter's during the nine days of mourning for Pope John Paul II. It was an honor he should not have received on the same level of the honor PSU is giving to Paterno.
Still has nothing to do with what Catholics think. Catholics were the victims of abuser priests. Catholics are not accepting of them or anyone who didn't intervene. It's not like we have a different view depending on the abuser. It's a dumb question. JPII was being honored in your example, not Law. While it was not a good decision to include Law as a mass celebrant, it is certainly not the same as erecting a statue or declaring a day in honor of Paterno...not even close.

Quick question because I don't know the time line: Was Cardinal Law permitted to say mass before or after he was found complicit in the cover-up?

Quick question because I don't know the time line: Was Cardinal Law permitted to say mass before or after he was found complicit in the cover-up?
Law said the mass because of an honorary position he held in Rome which was an honorary position given to him by Pope John Paul II, two years AFTER he resigned as Archbishop of Boston because of his involvement in hiding and reassigning pedophile priests.

Last edited:
Law said the mass because of an honorary position he held in Rome which was an honorary position given to him by Pope John Paul II, two years AFTER he resigned as Archbishop of Boston because of his involvement in hiding and reassigning pedophile priests.
Wow, not good...thanks for the information.

This is what I come to the Syracuse football board - in depth discussions of issues within the Catholic Church.

It would be awesome if people could leave politics and non-sports related opinions to the off-topic board...I seldom bother to check out this place anymore, and the endless political tangents of the SJW crowd is a big part of the reason why.

Reactions: FAL
14350791_1748854965380688_463446034_n.jpg

This thread is refreshing to me only because it reminds me that outside of Pennsylvania, people understand the situation and why this "honoring" bs is just that. I get real tired of folks telling me my disdain for Paterno makes me part of the problem.

Be honest, you MUST be part of the problem. "Have you had a sip of our Blue Kool-Aid?" "Trust the all-knowing, all-peaceful, all-is-well, Maharajah Paterno." "If you believe in the Nittany Lion, you will be at peace with a JoePa statue." "You must repeat your chant: 'Joe didn't know. Joe didn't know.' at least seventy-five times daily, only then can you be at one with the Nittany Universe."

See, absolute proof that you are the problem. You have refused to join their cult, therefore, you are the problem. Now if only the other 7 billion people (i.e. non-nittany faithful) on earth would just believe...

You are a good person for standing up to this nonsense. I know there are more good people in PA but they simply are not getting enough air time in opposition to the Nittany Nonsense. Keep the faith, truth wins out over fraud, it just takes time.

This is what I come to the Syracuse football board - in depth discussions of issues within the Catholic Church.

It would be awesome if people could leave politics and non-sports related opinions to the off-topic board...I seldom bother to check out this place anymore, and the endless political tangents of the SJW crowd is a big part of the reason why.

Bye bye... Take your tissues with you.

It's mind boggling people scroll through thread titles, click on ones that typically are clearly about a certain topic, READ through the thread, and then complain about it.

Welcome to the modern digital age, you are allowed to scroll through and ONLY click on threads that interest you. You are not required to click on each thread in order, just to get to the one you actually want to read.

It's funny someone who would call people SJW's as if they are complaining about something not a big deal, while at the same time themselves whining and crying. Very strange world we live in.

You are a good person for standing up to this nonsense. I know there are more good people in PA but they simply are not getting enough air time in opposition to the Nittany Nonsense. Keep the faith, truth wins out over fraud, it just takes time.

Much appreciated (and the beginning of your reply was fantastic).

Living in Pittsburgh I know a lot of Penn State Fans. I also have two close friends here who were big Paterno boosters.
They have not forgiven the University or Paterno.
There are a lot of former Penn State fans in Pennsylvania.
I've seen a mix of opinions but I think the supporters have louder voices (probably because it's a shocking stance to take after all that's come to light). It's interesting to see the folks that never watched a day of college ball get involved because they knew his name, his dontations, and assumed he's just a good guy.

Penn State AD Sandy Barbour issued the following statement on the decision to honor Joe Paterno at Saturday’s game against Temple.

This year marks the 50th Anniversary of Joe Paterno’s first game and first victory as head coach. On September 17, commemorative activities will focus on the commitment he had to student-athletes and academics, as well as highlights of the 1966 game. This Saturday at Beaver Stadium as we face Temple University, we will highlight the student-athletes he impacted. Members of the 1966 team, co-captains Mike Irwin and John Runnells, will be participating in the on-field coin toss. Further in-game introductions of players will take place, along with video presentations on the impact to student-athletes. Coach Paterno wanted academic success not only for his players but also for every student who came through Penn State. Together with his wife, Sue, they helped countless students become leaders and earn a Penn State diploma. Our plans are consistent with the wishes of the Paterno family as well, with a focus on the players and their accomplishments at Penn State and beyond.

This year marks the 50th Anniversary of Joe Paterno’s first game and first victory as head coach. On September 17, commemorative activities will focus on the commitment he had to student-athletes and academics, as well as highlights of the 1966 game. This Saturday at Beaver Stadium as we face Temple University, we will highlight the student-athletes he impacted. Members of the 1966 team, co-captains Mike Irwin and John Runnells, will be participating in the on-field coin toss. Further in-game introductions of players will take place, along with video presentations on the impact to student-athletes. Coach Paterno wanted academic success not only for his players but also for every student who came through Penn State. Together with his wife, Sue, they helped countless students become leaders and earn a Penn State diploma. Our plans are consistent with the wishes of the Paterno family as well, with a focus on the players and their accomplishments at Penn State and beyond.
I agree that the University is pandering to donors.

Penn State AD Sandy Barbour issued the following statement on the decision to honor Joe Paterno at Saturday’s game against Temple.

I guess everything was fine for those who were students at the college. Not so much for those boys who were to young to matriculate. Oh Lord

NPR
September 16, 20164:31 PM ET
Heard on All Things Considered

Pennsylvania State University is receiving intense criticism for its planned tribute to former football coach, Joe Paterno. Critics say Paterno failed to prevent or adequately report Jerry Sandusky's repeated sexual abuse of children. Penn State fired Paterno in 2011, after Sandusky's abuse came to light.

Linky..audio to the left.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom