Class of 2020 - DL Cody Roscoe (TX) Transferring from McNeese St to Syracuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 DL Cody Roscoe (TX) Transferring from McNeese St to Syracuse

Very good pick up. Young Mr. Roscoe has lots of game experience and has good size to play either stand up DE or LB. Coach Gilbert knows him which is an added plus. Congratulations Mr. Roscoe now show up and learn the defense and help your new Ohana take the ACC Atlantic and beyond. Go Orange!!!!!!

Nice film, seems like a good late get. Nice to have someone we think can contribute and bridge the gap to some of the younger guys. That all said, he doesn't have much time, but I think he could move inside with the proper dedication to S&C.

Can his nickname be Chicken and Waffles please, or just “House.”

The 6-foot-1, 247-pound Roscoe has one year of eligibility remaining and will need a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible to play in 2020. If not, he’ll redshirt this year and wrap up his career as a redshirt senior in 2021.

Like the pickup, for depth. This guy is a LOT smaller than Robinson / Coleman in terms of physical stature, but I have to think that the productivity will translate and that he'll be a valuable rotation contributor [instead of just a warm body].

In this new system, which emphasizes position versatility and disguised coverages / blitzes, they'll find a way to fit him in and play to his strengths.

The Syracuse.com article mentions that the needs to petition for a waiver to play in 2020. NCAA could say he has to sit out a year.

Does anyone know if he is truly a rising senior who would have to sit out a year or get a NCAA waiver to play immediately? Or is he entering SU as a Grad Transfer who would have immediate eligibility?

This seems little confusing depending on which source we read.

He can play the 5 tech as well as the 3. That's exactly what he will have to do at SU.

OH geez. Just watched these highlights. Jersey says #9, but his real number might be 335. Plays bigger than his size. Downhill, very aggressive and powerful with good leverage. I'm still learning the tech's and shades ... hard to tell if he's lining up on the inside shoulder of the tackle (4i) or the outside shoulder of the guard (3). But either way he's in the gap before they can set up. Dangerous cat ... glad he's on our side.

Last edited:

The 6-foot-1, 247-pound Roscoe has one year of eligibility remaining and will need a waiver from the NCAA to be eligible to play in 2020. If not, he’ll redshirt this year and wrap up his career as a redshirt senior in 2021.
In some ways, he might be more helpful having a redshirt year to work with Edinger and Jonathan, Black, and Williams all moving on.

OH geez. Just watched these highlights. Jersey says #9, but his real number might be 335. Plays bigger than his size. Downhill, very aggressive and powerful with good leverage. I'm still learning the tech's and shades ... hard to tell if he's lining up on the inside shoulder of the tackle (4i) or the outside shoulder of the opposing guard (3). But either way he's in the gap before they can set up. Dangerous cat ... glad he's on our side.
Good analysis, it does look like he's in a 4i at times.

Like the pickup, for depth. This guy is a LOT smaller than Robinson / Coleman in terms of physical stature, but I have to think that the productivity will translate and that he'll be a valuable rotation contributor [instead of just a warm body].

In this new system, which emphasizes position versatility and disguised coverages / blitzes, they'll find a way to fit him in and play to his strengths.

It's just highlights but he passes the looks test in just being quicker and stronger than olineman at that level. Like the get as well and hopefully it translates well

It's just highlights but he passes the looks test in just being quicker and stronger than olineman at that level. Like the get as well and hopefully it translates well
Sounds like a nice addition. It is always nice when you have good info on a player from the outside...knowing his practice habits, how he is in the locker room, how hard of a worker and how good of a leader he is, etc. My guess is that he ends up playing mostly OLB but we will see.

Given our relative lack of experience at WR, I wonder if we might be interested in Cyron Sutton. He is a 5th year senior at McNeese. 67 catches for 950 yards and 9 TDs as a junior, 2nd team all conference. Was an honor student in HS. He might have already graduated. Even if he hasn't, with McNeese locked out of the post season, the NCAA might allow him to be eligible immediately.

It might be nice to take 2 guys from there and room them together. Sounds like he could help us.

So this guy played in a 335 def? If so you also can't underscore the value of having someone with that game experience helping others out on the field and in practice.

The Syracuse.com article mentions that the needs to petition for a waiver to play in 2020. NCAA could say he has to sit out a year.

Does anyone know if he is truly a rising senior who would have to sit out a year or get a NCAA waiver to play immediately? Or is he entering SU as a Grad Transfer who would have immediate eligibility?

This seems little confusing depending on which source we read.
He's not a grad transfer, but with McNeese's postseason ban, and him only having one year of eligibility, this seems like a slam dunk waiver situation IMO.

I see him playing olb in the new system. I’m not sure he will beat out the starters but he will be part of the rotation and special teams.

At least the waiver is already approved. I thought it would be a no brainer but much quicker than I expected it to be done.

Fellas, he is not a OLB. Looks like a weak side DE in this scheme. The biggest challenge he will have is lack of length at 6'1. He will be going against longer and bigger lineman. He does have good explosiveness and quickness for his body type. Not sure how well it translates

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom