DL Cooper Dawson Opts Out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

DL Cooper Dawson Opts Out

Most Spring seasons were technically completed at the time of the cancellation. The only ones that were underway were LAX, Softball/Baseball and track IIRC.
I thought it was the the winter sports that had mostly completed their seasons. The spring sports had just gotten started, hadn't they?

I thought it was the the winter sports that had mostly completed their seasons. The spring sports had just gotten started, hadn't they?

Ah. Great catch. Thanks. I was incorrect.

Wow, credit to the board - this has been up all day and I haven't noticed a single post assuming any kind of moral or character flaw in Dawson for making this decision. If anything, everyone posting has been supportive and understanding of a difficult decision.

Good job, everyone.

It’s actually a great decision for him. He recently had surgery and was probably not going to be in the two deep this year. This allows him a year to grow with a real possibility that he will receive the year of eligibility back. I could see a lot of players in similar situations do the same.
The only thing I would change is that it should be the university and not the player breaking the news of their decision. That way it looks like everyone has discussed the decision.

It’s actually a great decision for him. He recently had surgery and was probably not going to be in the two deep this year. This allows him a year to grow with a real possibility that he will receive the year of eligibility back. I could see a lot of players in similar situations do the same.
The only thing I would change is that it should be the university and not the player breaking the news of their decision. That way it looks like everyone has discussed the decision.
I think it’s fine that Dawson made the announcement. It was his decision.

Wow, credit to the board - this has been up all day and I haven't noticed a single post assuming any kind of moral or character flaw in Dawson for making this decision. If anything, everyone posting has been supportive and understanding of a difficult decision.

Good job, everyone.
Idk if this is a new age of tranquility or a sign that everyones just absolutely burnt out from 2020 and numb to the pain

I am totally in favor and happy that Syracuse will honor Cooper’s scholarship. However...and I know people will vehemently disagree with me...I do not think anybody that opts out should gain an extra year of eligibility. This would create a HUGE storm of issues with roster numbers. In addition, while Dawson and others shouldn’t be punished for their decision, shouldn’t the players who play through this time be rewarded in some way? Why should players opting out get a full extra year of a normal season while the guys playing at risk drain a year of eligibility on a shortened, up in the air type year? Just my opinion.

I am totally in favor and happy that Syracuse will honor Cooper’s scholarship. However...and I know people will vehemently disagree with me...I do not think anybody that opts out should gain an extra year of eligibility. This would create a HUGE storm of issues with roster numbers. In addition, while Dawson and others shouldn’t be punished for their decision, shouldn’t the players who play through this time be rewarded in some way? Why should players opting out get a full extra year of a normal season while the guys playing at risk drain a year of eligibility on a shortened, up in the air type year? Just my opinion.
Off the top of my head, it makes sense to me that he could use the scholarship this year or go home and save the scholarship for a later year.

I don't think it should be about punishment or reward. It should be about safety and sport.

Its about choice. I support the players who opt out as much as those that decide to play.

players should keep the scholarship for a free year of academics but they should not gain an extra year of eligibility.

Any fan that criticizes any player for sitting out this season due to covid-19 should be banned.

This isn’t professional sports. These kids are allowed to protect themselves.

Oh I agree I just remember what gets posted when a star leaves a year early like Eskridge did combined with 30% of the population thinking this is nothing more than a cold or flu. I'm ready for some hottt takes if a key starter opts out.

players should keep the scholarship for a free year of academics but they should not gain an extra year of eligibility.
Completely disagree. Here is just one example: Why should seniors in their final year of eligibility who have not taken a redshirt season lose their last season playing, at best, in empty stadiums without the preparation (no spring football, etc.) that they deserve, not to mention putting their long term health at risk?

Completely disagree. Here is just one example: Why should seniors in their final year of eligibility who have not taken a redshirt season lose their last season playing, at best, in empty stadiums without the preparation (no spring football, etc.) that they deserve, not to mention putting their long term health at risk?

Wouldn’t they have one more year of eligibility if they haven’t taken a redshirt?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom